• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-o-matic install

cornrichard

I installed one of the air o matic kits from BrianrBull this weekend. It took me about 7 hours. It could be done faster if you wanted to do some of it again later. I took a bunch of pictures, and here they are. This first batch is just the deuce with the wheels off. There is also a picture of the giant instructions.

Attachments

cornrichard

More Air o Matic

Here are the actual install photos. I had to take the new drag link off and adjust it for length. This was the only part of the install I had to do twice. The rubber grommets where the air lines go through the inner fender are a joke. I will have to replace them with a sleeve made from heater hose in the very near future. Other than that it is a well thought out kit. When I fist tried it out I was a little disappointed because I still needed two hands to turn lock to lock on concrete stopped. After I started moving the truck I really noticed the unit helping. Overall a big improvement. I am sure It will cut down on fatigue in tight situations. It does not work as well as a fluid power steering kit, but I think it was worth it. I just wish I would have got it as cheep as Brian is selling them for now.

Attachments

jwaller

When I fist tried it out I was a little disappointed because I still needed two hands to turn lock to lock on concrete stopped.

this is a know issue. the kit is not power steering. it is air assist. you dont want to be able to turn the tires while stopped on concrete. it puts enormous stress on the front end that it really doesn't need.

cornrichard

Sorry FMJ That was a new drag link so it is going into the spare parts, keep pile. There is a regulator on the inside frame rail that I have adjusted to max pressure. I could probably shim it to boost the pressure a little but I think I would end up ruining something.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took me about 2.5 hours, with my brother helping me. But all I did was the firewall mounted valve, and preparing the hoses and fittings. He put on the cylinder and drag link. The main problem we had was unscrewing the nuts from the old spring shackles. Did you run into unusual trouble?

wsucougarx

Yah I think the good deal is indeed over. I think he had to have payment my 27MAY or so. I think he's going to sit on them until the market for these are up and going again. How many did he end up blessing SS with? Great guy for doing that!!

John Deere

Approximately 25 deuce and a halves multifuels a few gassers, 2 of the 5 tonners, one with cummins and one gasser, several m715's and the like in the mountains.

I'd have to go dig the call sheet out of my deuce to give accurate numbers.

It's something to see when we get a big range fire to see all these trucks swarming all over. It's an all volunteer dept.

tjcouch

Approximately 25 deuce and a halves multifuels a few gassers, 2 of the 5 tonners, one with cummins and one gasser, several m715's and the like in the mountains.

I'd have to go dig the call sheet out of my deuce to give accurate numbers.

It's something to see when we get a big range fire to see all these trucks swarming all over. It's an all volunteer dept.

Amazing! If you can show us some pics, many would be salivating!

John Deere

My zone will be having a maintenance workday in a couple of weekends, so we will have 4 of the multi's togther, I'll try and remember to snap some pics with them all together then, and maybe I'll tease you with a pic of mine tomorrow when I pull it out of my shed. :smile:

By the way cool forum you fellows have going here. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks