• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-O-Matic Question

Tackettr

I just picked up my Air-O-Matic kit today for my Deuce and I decided to do an inventory of it. It seems to be all there but the air hose is suppose to be cut into 3 lengths and connectors placed on the ends. The pictures show the hose and connectors. Nothing calls for any type of clamp to go on the hose, nor was any included in the kit or inventory list. Shouldn't there be some type of clamp? Compression or screw-type?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are most likely, Parker Push-Lock hose fittings. The are designed to not need a hose-clamp. You could add one just for security though. My Military installed air assist system, does not have any hose-clamps on the hoses.

Last edited:

Tackettr

Thanks for the help guys! So what kind of pressure can I expect in this system? I know it shuts down if below 60psi, but it has a regulator. What is the top-end psi? I keep thinking 120psi will shoot those things right off. :-D

jatonka

You will never see one of those Aeroquip fittings come off under pressure when using the supplied hose. But you will find it difficult to install the fittings all the way on. Do not use any petroleum based lubricant. PVC sewer pipe lube is OK and KY jelly is OK. (No flames...NO dumb jokes..... it works and doesn't ruin your hose). I clamp the hose in the vise below where the fitting will imbedd to and drive the fitting down into the hose with a hard rubber mallett. Kevin, those fittings will NOT fly apart under pressure. Enjoy your new kit. Is it a fresh one from Interagency Motorpool or one of the 1996 ones from the GL auction? JT out

Tackettr

Thanks for the insight on how to install the fitting. That was my next question. They are very tight. This is one of the GL kits.

You can use dish soap for lube. I like to put the fitting in the vise and push the hose on. The first time I installed these fittings the Mfg. Rep. told me "you need a 300 lb gorrilla", I told him that I was only 290 lbs, he told me to eat a big lunch.

Tackettr

ARYankee: Like I have always been told, "The only dumb question is the one not asked!". 6 months ago, I was wondering the same thing. :-D It is an add-on power steering kit for the deuce. Some would aurgue on the "power" part, but anything helps. :-D

YankeeDuece

You will have plenty of hose with the kit as long as you are smart about running your lines. The kit allows for generous lenghts without going overboard. You can use a pair of side cutting pliers to cut the tubing. One word of caution, once you set the fitting the are not comming off. Measure twice, cut once.

yeager1

I've used these fittings a lot and heat definitely helps. VERY hot water or GENTLY use a heat gun and they slip right on. I installed 300+ fittings in one day and heat was the only think that got it done quickly. As with most things, Lube is also a big plus to getting things to work

Jake0147

Shouldn't there be some type of clamp? Compression or screw-type?

The only time I have seen those fittings fail were once in air, and once in fluid, and it was when I had never seen them, didn't trust them, didn't believe the guy who gave us his obsolete (to him) stuff, and I installed a clamp. No clamp, and I won't say "no" failures, but they've proven more reliable than barbed nipples and hose clamps by far.

I do not use lube to install them (others do, maybe it's the saem fear issue that lead to the clamp fiasco). If the hose is heated GENTLY they go in nicely. Maybe not "nicely", but you can push them in by hand. Gently heating meaning holding the end in hot water for a bit. That's well within the rating hose's rating (I would assume and hope...) and without the possibility of overheating or damaging the surface in any way.

jimmcld

Kevin,

We just installed our kit today. It was an all day job but a lot of fun. I did notice one glitch in the kit: it says to drill two holes in the inner fender to run the hoses through. The holes are almost one inch in diameter and the centers are only one inch apart. I guess that's not that big a deal. The hardest part was probably putting the rubber bushings in the air cylinder bracket. Those bushings have to be compressed to about half their size in order to fit. That was a trick and took longer than just about any other part.

Oh, the hose fittings are a pain also. I wish I had known about the hot water. That might have helped. Even with KY it's still a pain. All that said, it looks great and works great! I'm looking forward to going for a long drive.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks