• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-O-Matic Question

jim-m35a2

Armstrong steering is the way the Deuce was designed. If the air unit was so good, the Government would have installed them on all the M35's. Looks like the air assisted steering got shelved and sold to the public instead of being installed on the trucks. My 2 cents.

Jim
________
Medical marijuana states

Last edited:

YankeeDuece

Armstrong steering is the way the Deuce was designed. If the air unit was so good, the Government would have installed them on all the M35's. Looks like the air assisted steering got shelved and sold to the public instead of being installed on the trucks. My 2 cents.

Jim
The Deuce was originally designed as a gasser w/o winch. Add 1500lb over and in front of the steer axel and you have the need for power assist.

ccequipment

I have put a few kits on, I have them down to 2.5 hours now. I think there a great upgrade, makes the tight driving much easier. I drove a stock 6x6 yesterday, and I told my dad its hard to get back in a truck with out the air assist. It makes life in these alot easier.

jimmcld

Just did a test drive with the air turned on all the way (that's another story). It's amazing! Did you know that you can actually turn a deuce with one hand? Still need to get all the hoses tucked away and tied up but I had no idea that it could turn that easy.

ccequipment

Just did a test drive with the air turned on all the way (that's another story). It's amazing! Did you know that you can actually turn a deuce with one hand? Still need to get all the hoses tucked away and tied up but I had no idea that it could turn that easy.
It does make a big differnce when you turn them up, at the stock setting they just don't do much, which gives them a bad rep. Crank them up and you have a total different system

jimmcld

We didn't fool with the settings on the system. There is a shut off valve in the air supply line that was only cracked open when we first tried it. Once we opened the supply valve all the way it really made the difference.

shootiniron

Has anybody ever had the ram apart as in to check the rubber cup on the piston?Wondering cause I think that I'm getting blow-by so to speak around that.Also are parts or a rebuild kit available?Thanks!

jatonka

Yes, Interagency Motorpool can sell you the sealing ring/cup that is the main part in the air cylinder. The manufacturer is saying that the rubber parts can be troublesome after sitting a long time. I have a kit here that was made in 1990, much older than the ones just sold on GL, they are 1996 manufacture so I have heard. I am going to open my 1990 kit and put the air cylinder on one of my trucks that has the air-o-matic on it already and see what's what. I think they are OK. JT out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks