• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shift install

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so I've found myself a good take-out air shift TC to upgrade a badly leaking sprag that needs a rebuild anyway. I also found a front drive air switch. I've read a few threads on the upgrade and the actual TC swap looks pretty straightforward. I've searched the TMs, Internet, and this site and haven't found a good air system diagram and how the switch is plumbed into the air system. The electrical part (light) looks pretty straightforward. Can anyone help with plumbing/routing the air from under the dash to the TC? I want it to look as OE as possible as far as routing/materials goes. Maybe a pic or 2 of what it looks like? The switch has 2 air connections, one on the back and one on the side. I imagine I can build the lines myself or visit the local hose supplier and have them made. Thanks for your help gentlemen.

tommys2patrick

Thanks to OP for starting this thread. I am going to be doing the same thing. Convert sprague to air shift. I don't want to hijack the thread but is there a conversion kit with the hard parts? have the TC just need the bits and pieces. Perhaps the OP picked one up for this project.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the replies thus far. I have the switch itself, had no idea a kit existed I figured it was sourcing the individual parts or DIY fabrication of air lines.

tommys2patrick

I'm currently in the middle of this swap. I went ahead and bought the kit on the popular auction site. Comes with everything you need to do the swap well worth the $140
I have seen a couple different "kits" on the popular auction site you likely speak of. One looks to be a kit to rebuild the inerds of the TC internal air switch side. While the other one I was hesitant about because I could not for certain see the under dash switch. Any chance you could clue me as to a specific name/descriptor to "search for" regarding the kit?

Pat

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So you can get the air shift upgrade kit. I looked on eBay and didn't see any currently or even recently up.

The NSN for the kit is 2520-00-113-8049 and the part number is 5704132. Looks like:

airshift1.jpgairshift2.jpg

Eastern has them for $195. I don't see them any cheaper anywhere else.

I have done several of these and I've bent air line (for customers who wanted a very correct upgrade) and I've done it with DOT airbrake tubing. I like the air brake tubing, much easier.

20140118_171720.jpg20140118_171755.jpg20140118_171810.jpg20140118_171835.jpg20140118_171842.jpg

Bending the air line isn't difficult with a good tubing bender but it takes some practice to make your stuff look factory.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a kit on the bay for almost $400. I ended up ordering from Eastern Surplus for the price you stated above. I found an old thread that said Saturn Surplus had them, but I contacted them and they replied back saying they sold all their M35 inventory to Eastern.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I saw the $400 one. I like those guys, they have a lot of weird small parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks