• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shocks on M1009 ??

dskchevy

Has anyone put Air shocks on (rear of) M1009 ?? parts store have listings for suburban's , But no blazer's :?:

Thanks for any help.............

AJMBLAZER

Why?

If you need more load capacity do it the right way and put a set of add a leaves in the rear. Those air shocks and shocks with springs on them don't do much other than stiffen the ride and bend shock mounts.

joeypushjr1

i have air on all four cornners and still have shocks and leafs and i dont have a problem with them i cant rember where i got them but they do have them

Wolf.Dose

Air shocks will not help with weak springs. Many rear springs of the M1009 are weak due to overload in the Army. And to much load is something the rear axle is not designed for, especially at higher speeds. The rating of the rear axle without major design changes increased from 3400 lbs to 3750 lbs rated and technicaly to 3900 lbs. The bearings have been unchanged!
My suggestion: A pair of new springs and some quality shocks, for example Rancho. The Army stuff is a 3 Dollar part.
If the upper shock mount brakes of the frame, just reweld it to the frame. It works! Not the rivets fail, the part itself fails due to cracks pressed into the part when ist was produced.
Wolf

joeypushjr1

well the only think about what wolf said i would argue with is i believe air is like a helper spring you can help the ride for towing but yes you shouldnt over weigh it. i dont fill mine up so much it hurts my suspention i leave them at like 30lbs. but if i do put something in the truck of pull a trailor il knock it up a bit . to help sag. the sag is not what you wan tpulling any kind of weight . that starts affecting you stearing. so if you use them right i believe your fine. ive had no problems

maritimer

use aheaver shouck mount, ma6y have to fab one up, heavier shocks as well, i would also recomend using auto leveler like what is used on big rig air ride systems, it will help both the ride and the suspension.

dskchevy

Thanks,

I have used them in suburbans for many years and had no problems.....
I guess I should have asked if anyone knows why a set of air shocks from a suburban would not fit a blazer???
The blazer sits level now. However, I put tools,tires and a cooler......(last weekend was in the 90's need cold big boy sodas ) & she sags a little. A little air every now & then helps......

AJMBLAZER

Then install air bags or add a leaves. Using shocks as part of the load carrying system is old and bad tech. There's a reason you don't see those shocks much anymore and are having trouble finding some.

joeypushjr1

AMB why you so amped to not using air bags did you have a problem at one time and now left a bad tast in your mouth...not trying to start anthing.. i was just wondering.. you talking about bad mounts and what not not any of the 4 corners of mind use anyhing that factory on the blazer.. the rear bags sit right on top of the axel on top of the leaf and a seperate bracket come with kit. and the front im direstly on the axel and again used a seperate bracket .. im not saying to use it primarly for the suspention. just to help thats lll...

maybefixit

I'm not sure how much a new rear spring set would cost, I didn't think helper springs often cost much more than $80 a set. Of course, it's totally up to you, but the spring sets would properly take care of everything, the air shocks are a band-aid. Both will work, but the shocks (and attach points) won't last as long. At least the springs can be replaced fairly easily on that, not compressed coils like on some rides.

I don't mean to be preachy, and totally respect that it's your ride, but I'd recommend taking a look at the cost for an add-a-leaf or a new rear spring set before jumping in to the air shocks. Just in case someone doesn't have a new set of springs for $45 somewhere. :p

dskchevy

The blazer is level now & rides good..........But with 2 or 3 hundred lbs in back it gets lite in the steering...........so with a little air it levels out........pull out stuff..... let out some air &
PRESTO!!! level again..........

AJMBLAZER

AMB why you so amped to not using air bags did you have a problem at one time and now left a bad tast in your mouth...not trying to start anthing.. i was just wondering.. you talking about bad mounts and what not not any of the 4 corners of mind use anyhing that factory on the blazer.. the rear bags sit right on top of the axel on top of the leaf and a seperate bracket come with kit. and the front im direstly on the axel and again used a seperate bracket .. im not saying to use it primarly for the suspention. just to help thats lll...

Wow, uhm, reread my post and please try and use punctuation and grammar. Not trying to be the Spelling Nazis but I can hardly understand that.

Notice I recommended air bags. Air bags = good, air/spring shocks = bad.

I've seen more than one vehicle with the "load carrying" shocks end up with busted or bent shock mounts. Shock mounts aren't designed to take a load beyond the normal dampening forces of a shock. They're an old, bad fix that existed once before but folks still insist it works like bars leak and belt dressing. There's much better and newer tech that isn't so hard on stuff and won't result in you having to repair stuff if anything goes wrong.

joeypushjr1

hey AMB my bust. i thought your were talking about air bags... sorry .. i run air bags not springs. again sorry dude.... and im not the best speller out there. not and english major. just a wrench turner...

Wolf.Dose

I summed up my experiance with 16 years with a M1009 over 232000 miles until rust killed the truck besides my knowledge as a motor vehicle expert. Those members which oppose the shocks with any kind of suspension in it are technically correct. The air bag between frame and axle is the better choise. The other mentioned possibility is add a leave or new springs.
Wolf

Milkman357

Air bag cost?

All my spring, front and back, are basically straight. No arc anymore.
Would and air bag system regain lost clearance? And what would I expect to pay for system?

I think I saw spring running $400 for one axle....

AJMBLAZER

They're supposed to be slightly negatively arched (frown) in the front and slightly positively arched (smile) in the rear. This confuses a lot of people.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks