• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airbrake hand controller 'Trolley valve' install assistance needed.

74M35A2

It is not DOT approved. There is no such thing. The maker of the fitting is indicating it to meet DOT requirements, which it likely does. Crops of them out of China which also say the same, and may not really have the paperwork for traceability of such.

jimbo66348

It means the same **** thing. Eaton fittings. Good name, but probably still made abroad. This is not about the terms, approved or certified. This is about somebody wanting to upgrade their truck. If he ever puts a trailer behind it, or just drives it, he must use the correct fittings and lines. With any of these trucks other than the tractors, they are not legal to pull a trailer. It's about safety. I'm frankly surprised about the backlash about safety.

162tcat

It means the same **** thing. Eaton fittings. Good name, but probably still made abroad. This is not about the terms, approved or certified. This is about somebody wanting to upgrade their truck. If he ever puts a trailer behind it, or just drives it, he must use the correct fittings and lines. With any of these trucks other than the tractors, they are not legal to pull a trailer. It's about safety. I'm frankly surprised about the backlash about safety.
The point everyone is trying to get across is don't use standard plumbing store stuff. Use the proper DOT spec stuff. The DOT stamp doesn't mean DOT approved, it mean it's built to meet minimum DOT standards for that type of part. No reason to get all fired up.

My truck had a plumbing store type coupler on an air line that just randomly cracked. Came that way from the military. I replaced it with the proper DOT spec part which was much thicker and better quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Why are trucks other than tractors not legal to pull a trailer? I have to hear this.

jimbo66348

Just for starters: they have no trolley valve, parking brake valve, nor tractor protection valve. If you are pulling a 10 ton trailer for example, you have to have all of these valves, plus a double check valve in the system, just to be legal.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just for starters: they have no trolley valve, parking brake valve, nor tractor protection valve. If you are pulling a 10 ton trailer for example, you have to have all of these valves, plus a double check valve in the system, just to be legal.
Negative. They have a parking brake valve. military 5 ton tractors have the same parking brake valve as a a cargo truck. They just have the tractor valve. The roller linear valve is the same as a push/pull dash mounted tractor valve. It is just incorporated into the handle so that when the emergency brake is pulled it engages that automatically rather than them setting the " parking valve" and forgetting the redundant emergency brake.

It depends on your state DOT rules as far as equipment goes. You do not have to have a trolley valve on tag trailer applications in particular states. I.e. Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, Georgia just to name a few. It just depends on your state rules and not the federal DOT rules that govern interstate commerce.

My 923 has 2 trolley valves. One for the rear axles and one for the trailer. guess having 2 is probably against DOT rules?

I will quote the Georgia manual that says 6.2.3 – Trailer Air Supply Control

The trailer air supply control on newer vehicles is a red eight-sided knob, which you use to control the tractor protection valve. You push it in to supply the trailer with air, and pull it out to shut the air off and put on the trailer emergency brakes. The valve will pop out (thus closing the tractor protection valve) when the air pressure drops into the range of 20 to 45 psi. Tractor protection valve controls or “emergency” valves on older vehicles may not operate automatically. There may be a lever rather than a knob. The “normal” position is used for pulling a trailer. The “emergency” position is used to shut the air off and put on the trailer emergency brakes.

Looks pretty simple that the rear glandhands cover the emergency lever shut off there on an older truck. It may be a grey area on it being in the cab or not

What type of truck are you driving?

Last edited:

jimbo66348

923&925A2's. Yes, the gladhands have shutoff valves. The issue is you have no way to check nor activate your trailer brakes by themselves, and if a gladhands comes detached, you will lose all braking ability of both the truck and trailer. Any time your going to use a MV for any type of commercial use, you have to bring it up to standards. Outside of antique plates, any vehicle with a gvw over 26,001 lb., needs a CDL. Any combined truck/trailer combination over 26,001 lb. needs a CDL as well. These are federal dot laws that are applicable in every state.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
923&925A2's. Yes, the gladhands have shutoff valves. The issue is you have no way to check nor activate your trailer brakes by themselves, and if a gladhands comes detached, you will lose all braking ability of both the truck and trailer. Any time your going to use a MV for any type of commercial use, you have to bring it up to standards. Outside of antique plates, any vehicle with a gvw over 26,001 lb., needs a CDL. Any combined truck/trailer combination over 26,001 lb. needs a CDL as well. These are federal dot laws that are applicable in every state.

Negative. In alot of states as long as you are not engaged in commerce you do not need a cdl. In TN, MS and AR you can drive a 379 Pete and a 53ft step deck as a personal vehicle and no cdl is needed. Even if it weighs 79,999lbs. No CDL is needed unless its engaged in commerce. The states operate on their own laws for transportation

Your truck is not up to standards if you are driving an A2 truck. Your wheels on those trucks are stamped "not DOT Approved" so you better park it.

If your gladhand becomes detached on the emergency side the trailer brakes should lock on the trailer. And glandhands just dont " come detached "

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Trailer service brakes can be checked by hooking up to the Emergency gladhand temporarily. Hook up to apply and disconnect to release.

2. A CDL is only required for hauling commercially...and the vast majority of us don't. I don't have a CDL, and never will, and I'm perfectly legal with my M923 pulling a M322 trailer in Georgia. No money made means no CDL...it's that simple. A CDL debate will not go well for this thread so I'd suggest you educate yourself better on the matter and leave it be.

3. These trucks are held to standards based on year of manufacturer. There are several current standards that do not apply here due to age of the vehicle. Show the standard for the requirement of a TPV when pulling a pintle trailer.

4. Making broad generalizations just spreads bad information. I only speak for Georgia. Everything is pretty cut and dried in this state. Make up rules and laws as you please but don't speak for Georgia. Confusing matters due to lack of knowledge just won't do.

5. Class E in Georgia, which is the proper licence for a non-commercial 5 ton in Georgia. Not hauling commercially so no CDL required. I'm also running a Private Weighted plate, not an antique plate. Being legal in Georgia also makes me legal in the rest of the state's due to reciprocity agreements.

20190204_091037.jpg

6. I thought your original gripe was on DOT approval of parts. Why has it gravitated to these trucks being illegal to pull a trailer? Feel free to regroup and try again...

Last edited:

jimbo66348

My Dr. For CDL has to follow federal laws. My state, has to follow federal dot rules. My dot tells me it's all federal regulation. My a2 rims are not stamped not for highway use. Please tell me how to do a pull test to check your trailer brakes with these. Trolly valves, tpv's have all been in use and equiped on trucks since the early 70's at the least. Anybody can cut corners anyways they want. I choose not to.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Your wheels are stamped "NOT DOT APPROVED" or "MILITARY USE ONLY" Depending on which size studs you have on the wheel is what it will say. There are various phrases they say.

Your state can't even pave the roads so they usually are pretty tough on DOT laws. after you fall off in a pothole to break half the truck they want to inspect you.

So if you are running 1400s I am sure you aren't abiding by the 6yr tire rule? Better park half the 95 percent of the trucks on Steel Soldiers then.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dr. For CDL has to follow federal laws. My state, has to follow federal dot rules. My dot tells me it's all federal regulation. My a2 rims are not stamped not for highway use. Please tell me how to do a pull test to check your trailer brakes with these. Trolly valves, tpv's have all been in use and equiped on trucks since the early 70's at the least. Anybody can cut corners anyways they want. I choose not to.
Simple. With a charged trailer, release the trailer brakes using the brake release on the trailer. Hook Service line from trailer to Emergency line on truck. Then pull. If wheels on trailer don't turn then brakes are working. If they do turn then they need adjustment. Unhook trailer Service line and hook to truck Service line. Hook Emergency trailer line to Emergency truck line and roll out. Takes all of 5 minutes.

The service brakes care not where the air comes from. They need pressure to apply and lack there of to release. I figured an expert like yourself would at least know how a simple trailer brake system works? You can't seem to post the first standard that supports your claims though, so I guess all us "corner cutters" should just take your ramblings as gospel.

Child car seats were being used well before they became required. Same thing can be said for many things on vehicles. Just because TPVs were being used in the 70's doesn't mean they were required. Post the standard that requires them and when the standard was created. I'm not going to fight your battles for you.

jimbo66348

Part 383 - Regulations Section | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov › ... › Parts
The CDL regulations provide that "no person shall operate" a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)s before passing the written and driving tests required for that vehicle (§383.23(a)(1)). Virtually all of the vehicles used for training purposes meet the definition of a CMV, and student drivers must therefore obtain a CDL.
PEOPLE ALSO ASK
What is considered a commercial vehicle?
This is a broad definition, as commercial vehicles may be fleet vehicles, company cars, or other vehicles used for business. Vehicles that are designed to carry more than 15 passengers are considered a commercial vehicle. ... A weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more is always considered commercial.

This is federal law. It is the minimum, that any state can allow. I'm not making things up. I may be wrong at times, but I always strive to be as accurate as possible. I stand by my post. I am correct. Any state can ad to this law, but cannot detract from it.

jimbo66348

Simple. With a charged trailer, release the trailer brakes using the brake release on the trailer. Hook Service line from trailer to Emergency line on truck. Then pull. If wheels on trailer don't turn then brakes are working.

First, there is no take release on a trailer. Second, once you remove the emergency line, the spring brakes engage. You can't charge the service side to do anything. You should get your facts straight, you'd have a better argument.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ill be nice before I get an infraction.

eh. ok i wont be.

You missed that part of the requirements where it says "Engaged in interstate or intrastate commerce" If that is the case then anyone driving over 10,001 lbs has to have a CDL if engaged in commerce.

SEE the attached definitions for the FMSCA via the government publishing office. I think you are making it up taking it from the Q & A section of the FMSCA and Yes I will point out that you are incorrect. Thank you. please exit stage right.

Or i will add it from the Commercial Vehicle Act stature which gives the EXEMPTIONS.

Attachments

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part 383 - Regulations Section | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov › ... › Parts
The CDL regulations provide that "no person shall operate" a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)s before passing the written and driving tests required for that vehicle (§383.23(a)(1)). Virtually all of the vehicles used for training purposes meet the definition of a CMV, and student drivers must therefore obtain a CDL.
PEOPLE ALSO ASK
What is considered a commercial vehicle?
This is a broad definition, as commercial vehicles may be fleet vehicles, company cars, or other vehicles used for business. Vehicles that are designed to carry more than 15 passengers are considered a commercial vehicle. ... A weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more is always considered commercial.

This is federal law. It is the minimum, that any state can allow. I'm not making things up. I may be wrong at times, but I always strive to be as accurate as possible. I stand by my post. I am correct. Any state can ad to this law, but cannot detract from it.
Where is the bit about TPVs being required/retrofitted to pull a trailer?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple. With a charged trailer, release the trailer brakes using the brake release on the trailer. Hook Service line from trailer to Emergency line on truck. Then pull. If wheels on trailer don't turn then brakes are working.

First, there is no take release on a trailer. Second, once you remove the emergency line, the spring brakes engage. You can't charge the service side to do anything. You should get your facts straight, you'd have a better argument.
Screenshot from the Holden M322 trailer Technical Manual...since you know my trailer so well. You'll find the same thing on an M1082 LMTV trailer. It's going to be hard to talk if you keep putting your foot in your mouth.

Screenshot_2019-02-04-22-09-49.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks