• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft tug pickup at Pensacola, FL 32508

acmunro

Weighing options on how to get this Dodge aircraft tug home. It will not drive on a trailer. It has no drive shaft. Truck needs to go to Brookville, PA as its final destination.
Even if I could get it a little ways north that would help. (the farther the better) Anyone going that direction ? Anyone know a good shipper ? Looking for ideas. Thanks in advance ?

The PIG Smith

I wanted a Dodge aircraft tug so bad to use as a donor for the Cummins 6BT.
(still do)
Earlier this year, I almost bid on one, not that far from me (maybe 3ish hours away)

The problem I ran into, these vehicles are super heavy.
My research indicated they were more than 8000#.
I was told that they have a small slab of concrete in the back for extra weight.
So, my tandem axle trailer with dual 3500# axles were not gonna get the job done.

Next, I was told the rear axle on these rigs are super wide.
Leaving me to wonder if the tug would or would not fit on my trailer.

I decided to pass for now until I could figure a safe method of bringing one of these rigs home.
The cost of hiring a truck large enough to haul the tug I was looked out was gonna cost almost as much as the tug itself.
I could find a rusted out Dodge Ram to harvest the Cummins 6BT cheaper and closer.

I am sharing this with you for you to consider, research, be informed of what it would take to transport this tug.

I wish you the best of luck!

abh3

I brought mine home from Eglin AFB on my gooseneck equipment trailer, used the electric winch to pull it up w/ no problem. It's as wide as a 1 ton basically, it'll fit on most trailers but maybe not 'utility' types if they have sides to them... They might weigh more than a regular pickup but I can't imagine by that much. Or at least it didn't seem like there was 8k + on the trailer to me.

The PIG Smith

I brought mine home from Eglin AFB on my gooseneck equipment trailer, used the electric winch to pull it up w/ no problem. It's as wide as a 1 ton basically, it'll fit on most trailers but maybe not 'utility' types if they have sides to them... They might weigh more than a regular pickup but I can't imagine by that much. Or at least it didn't seem like there was 8k + on the trailer to me.
UGHHHH!!
I wish I has spoken to you when I looking at one of these tugs!
Sounds like you have better first hand information than the others I spoke with.
I am taking away from your comment than maybe one of these tugs would fit on my car trailer and maybe would not be overweight?
My bumper pull car hauler can handle a 1 ton cargo van.

The OP should have no issues!

acmunro

My issue is time. I hauled one from Maine to PA. Wasn't bad other than the snowicane I got caught in My side of Hartford CT. I don't think snow will be a problem. Just time. EUC's I want to go through fast go slow and ones I want to go slow go fast. I'm just lucky that way.

Alredneck

Banned
Can do it for $0.75 a loaded mile as I have a backhoe in PA I need to pick up. I can get it before I get Wades M820 at Setoyota's place in GA and throw them together for a weird ride north! Let me know! Captain

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have 2 MKTs here in NY that need to go to SC. (if that helps get a backhaul)

acmunro

Kicking this one back to the top again. I have not had any luck on this. I thought I had it taken care of but that fell through. Now I'm about out of time. Anyone know someone reputable in the area that could pick it up and hold it ? Or a shipper that could get it farther north or make the whole trip to PA. Thanks in advance. Al

Poison

possible pick-up

I was just at PNAS today and picked up 2 of my trailers. I didn't recall seeing a aircraft-tug there but I could possibly work out something with you to pick it up if it's there and not Eglin.I work and live 15 minutes from the base....anyhow send me a PM and we'll see what we can do. They won't be back there till next Thursday so you still have time but I have some other stuff to pick-up then so get back with me this weekend

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks