• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft tug pickup at Pensacola, FL 32508

acmunro

Weighing options on how to get this Dodge aircraft tug home. It will not drive on a trailer. It has no drive shaft. Truck needs to go to Brookville, PA as its final destination.
Even if I could get it a little ways north that would help. (the farther the better) Anyone going that direction ? Anyone know a good shipper ? Looking for ideas. Thanks in advance ?

The PIG Smith

I wanted a Dodge aircraft tug so bad to use as a donor for the Cummins 6BT.
(still do)
Earlier this year, I almost bid on one, not that far from me (maybe 3ish hours away)

The problem I ran into, these vehicles are super heavy.
My research indicated they were more than 8000#.
I was told that they have a small slab of concrete in the back for extra weight.
So, my tandem axle trailer with dual 3500# axles were not gonna get the job done.

Next, I was told the rear axle on these rigs are super wide.
Leaving me to wonder if the tug would or would not fit on my trailer.

I decided to pass for now until I could figure a safe method of bringing one of these rigs home.
The cost of hiring a truck large enough to haul the tug I was looked out was gonna cost almost as much as the tug itself.
I could find a rusted out Dodge Ram to harvest the Cummins 6BT cheaper and closer.

I am sharing this with you for you to consider, research, be informed of what it would take to transport this tug.

I wish you the best of luck!

abh3

I brought mine home from Eglin AFB on my gooseneck equipment trailer, used the electric winch to pull it up w/ no problem. It's as wide as a 1 ton basically, it'll fit on most trailers but maybe not 'utility' types if they have sides to them... They might weigh more than a regular pickup but I can't imagine by that much. Or at least it didn't seem like there was 8k + on the trailer to me.

The PIG Smith

I brought mine home from Eglin AFB on my gooseneck equipment trailer, used the electric winch to pull it up w/ no problem. It's as wide as a 1 ton basically, it'll fit on most trailers but maybe not 'utility' types if they have sides to them... They might weigh more than a regular pickup but I can't imagine by that much. Or at least it didn't seem like there was 8k + on the trailer to me.
UGHHHH!!
I wish I has spoken to you when I looking at one of these tugs!
Sounds like you have better first hand information than the others I spoke with.
I am taking away from your comment than maybe one of these tugs would fit on my car trailer and maybe would not be overweight?
My bumper pull car hauler can handle a 1 ton cargo van.

The OP should have no issues!

acmunro

My issue is time. I hauled one from Maine to PA. Wasn't bad other than the snowicane I got caught in My side of Hartford CT. I don't think snow will be a problem. Just time. EUC's I want to go through fast go slow and ones I want to go slow go fast. I'm just lucky that way.

Alredneck

Banned
Can do it for $0.75 a loaded mile as I have a backhoe in PA I need to pick up. I can get it before I get Wades M820 at Setoyota's place in GA and throw them together for a weird ride north! Let me know! Captain

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have 2 MKTs here in NY that need to go to SC. (if that helps get a backhaul)

acmunro

Kicking this one back to the top again. I have not had any luck on this. I thought I had it taken care of but that fell through. Now I'm about out of time. Anyone know someone reputable in the area that could pick it up and hold it ? Or a shipper that could get it farther north or make the whole trip to PA. Thanks in advance. Al

Poison

possible pick-up

I was just at PNAS today and picked up 2 of my trailers. I didn't recall seeing a aircraft-tug there but I could possibly work out something with you to pick it up if it's there and not Eglin.I work and live 15 minutes from the base....anyhow send me a PM and we'll see what we can do. They won't be back there till next Thursday so you still have time but I have some other stuff to pick-up then so get back with me this weekend