• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Algae oil grown in continous photobioreactor.

youngunbd

haha well I went and hopped in today, trust me, 1100 gallons of hose water inside a tank in a shed does not get very warm..... i think after 30 seconds i just lost all feeling and it wasnt too bad but oh god did that suck

I have an air bubble under the floor that allowed water in one of the seals but i didnt patch it, i need someone to sit above me and use a 4x4 to pound a few nails in. trust me, this thing is the definition of rigged, duct tape and all.

tomorrow is gunna be fun, im gunna hop back in and get everything perfect and maybe pound in extra nails to keep everything still

pro tip, spend the money and go for the 300 dollar solid piece of plastic as to avoid seals and that one tiny spot that you will miss in that one difficult spot to get to!!

andytk5

HAha!!! Sounds like one of my projects!

I am piecing together my algae system. I'll PM you my list so far to see what you think plus which algae strain I'm looking at.

IROC99

I am interested in talking with someone who has experience with wmo and/or wvo. I have been using both in M1009. Have had some issues, but pretty successful overall. Anyone out there?

youngunbd

andy - no, protip coming from me is from playing video games haha

IROC i personally dont have experience in using WVO but my biodiesel guy can talk, and talk, and talk some more. He says everything may be good at first, but unless you heat your fuel lines and tank to about 180 it will just gum your injectors and other undesireable things. turning it to bio diesel will make it viscous enough to not give you issues, plus its a good project to keep you occupied

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mentioned rice farmers, does that place you in the Sacramento area?

Once you get this up & running, I'll have to buy a fuel tanker so I can make monthly trips to your place to bring back fuel for all my vehicles. :D

youngunbd

Yes sir, I went to school out in rice country and live just a bit north of Sacramento. And the savings over petrol that im aiming for might make you a wealthy man in doing that :beer:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm especially encouraged by the increase in lubricity; my Dodge Cummins IP is lubricated by the fuel, and ULSD already claimed one IP. Now I add Stanadyne Lubricity formula to each tank fill-up, increasing my cost per gallon for ULSD crap.

Any decrease in performance from algae-grown biodiesel is more than offset by the increased lubricating properties, in my opinion. [thumbzup]

I'm in!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
As a guy who lives on 5 acres and has a 20k mile per year commute, the idea of yielding over a thousand gallons of fuel per acre-year is intriguing!

youngunbd

well those many estimates of anywhere from 1000-15000 are with large ponds and many types of algae. No one has released estimates with algae that can be grown in large tanks, so I'm working on it!!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and hopefully even much further of set by cost! do you have b5 or b20 where you live? thats a first step to keep your engine lubed
When I chatted with a distributor about the B5 & B20, he told me that these were Ethanol-based and didn't offer any lubricating benefits over ULSD. Is he missing something? Or am I?

youngunbd

The B stands for bio diesel, not ethanol lol

there could have been some mis communication over the phone or such but try and get a good location to buy b20, it will do good things for you. Of course from the green aspect the only real way to help is to go b100 but it isnt very cost effective right now, but darn does it smell good!

wait for a100 :mrgreen:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info, I'll have to actually read up on it instead of relying on someone's opinion....dangit!

youngunbd

no problem, earlier in this thread i linked journey to forever, thats where i got started in biodiesel and subsequently algae. there are many companies that sell biodiesel makers and such but beware, they are mostly over priced and some dont even have a wet or dry washing stage at all. its much easier to build your own because most people find that they work harder to make sure it is perfect then

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be up your way in August for a family reunion; if you're in production, I'll bring a tank trailer or at least several 55-gallon drums to purchase from you. I'm still trying to get my UMO filtering process straightened out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks