• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All 5-tons: Heavy Duty Torque Rod Ends

74M35A2

I planned to drill on the lathe then tap with the mill. Would love to tap on the lathe as well,but no way to have the tap feed in at its own rate on the lathe because the tailstock just has a crank wheel on its end to extend it vs the mill has a pull down spindle depth lever which can let the tap advance at its own pace.

Want the retention plates removable for servicability if joints need to be changed again, something in their area serviced, don't want weld heat on already sensitive rubber. When doing it to new rod end inserts which are not yet installed, and have freeshop tools at disposal, then why not?

MAdams

You can insert the tap into the tailstock, loosen the bed clamp and push the tailstock by hand. Once the threads engage the tailstock will feed on its own. Make sure there is a chamfer on the drilled hole

74M35A2

You can insert the tap into the tailstock, loosen the bed clamp and push the tailstock by hand. Once the threads engage the tailstock will feed on its own. Make sure there is a chamfer on the drilled hole
Tailstock is way too heavy for a tap to be pulling it, even fully unbolted and especially when starting, it would pull the threads out.

74M35A2

Thanks. It is, and it is at work so I don’t have to store or pay for it. I bought these used with my work budget for near scrap value. We do one off modification work on existing parts, so CNC did not make a lot of sense.

If there is anything I can help anybody do by using them, I’d be glad to. I allow government jobs continuously, just not on work time.

MIG, TIG, plasma cutter, large disc sander, 2 different cut-off saws, sheet metal shear/brake/roller, large band saw, press, hoist, forklift, and all-climate chassis dyno with variable temp/humidity/wind speed/solar exposure. Fun stuff.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Some of the newer type of torque rods have a square back insert so this method of a "safety system" wouldn't work.

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

Interesting on both points. Let's see what arrives and go from there.

Cute video on the lathe. If I oil my tailstock slides and then lean on it to give it a gradual continuous push toward the chuck, it should work nearly same as they show. I'd much rather drill and tap on the lathe, as I don't really have a good way of holding a round piece that does not sit flat on my mill bed. I really only have hold down clamps and a table vice for it.

74M35A2

You will be. I'll need you to man the motor drive switch. The lathe does not have a brake, so when the tap get to depth, quickly throw the motor switch into reverse, I'll be pushing on the tailstock to feed threads. Don't wear a tie.

Check this bad dog out, she's ready to eat:

40904D20-90D8-4D13-9312-6F4234BE66AB.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

Thanks bud, you should hang out here more often, our attendance is currently on a slight decline via atrition.

Called a 3 flute spiral tap. Made to eject chips upward for doing blind holes. We’ll see what happens. Side betting pool forming for if the tap will break or if WildChild467 gets his briefs caught in the lathe chuck.

That tap reminds me of the drill bit on the front of the moon crawler in the movie Armageddon.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looks like a fancy bit to get in a bind and make itself a curved drill bit.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks