• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All Military Vehicles banned from road in Maryland

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part that is clearly wrong is this: "Prior to the purchase of a military vehicle, each buyer is required to complete and sign the Federal Government DLA Form 1822, End-Use Certificate the form SF-97, which clearly indicates that the vehicles are intended for Off-Road Use Only."

I was not required to sign such a form for any of my vehicles. In my opinion, this is a reference to the HMMWVs with Off-Road Use Only SF-97s, even though they are trying to catch all military vehicles in this net. This memo almost sounds as if you may have problems if you try to get a vehicle inspected from here on out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if this will be enforced for the municipalities that utilize the federal surplus vehicles(that apply to this new announcement), including law enforcement.

The part about 17 digit vin numbers will also affect older vehicles in general. For example, Ford Model A's and T's.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. I've had plenty of SF-97s (as many of us have over the years) and NONE have ever had OFF-ROAD ONLY restrictions. The only ones I know of with that restrictions were for HMMWVs (as is the case for the SF-97 shown in their bulletin).

The washing of HMMWV titles to circumvent this restriction hasn't helped the hobby AT ALL.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I wonder if this will be enforced for the municipalities that utilize the federal surplus vehicles(that apply to this new announcement), including law enforcement.

The part about 17 digit vin numbers will also affect older vehicles in general. For example, Ford Model A's and T's.
Anything before 1980 was only 16 digits.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. I've had plenty of SF-97s (as many of us have over the years) and NONE have ever had OFF-ROAD ONLY restrictions. The only ones I know of with that restrictions were for HMMWVs (as is the case for the SF-97 shown in their bulletin).

The washing of HMMWV titles to circumvent this restriction hasn't helped the hobby AT ALL.
Agreed. I think much of the troubles we are seeing across the country with titling of military vehicles can be traced back to the off-road use only HMMWVs.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I have purchased 6 LMTV in 2019, none said off road only, but that no longer matters. I searched long and hard for an inspection station to inspect them. Now that station is aware of the bulletin they will no longer inspect, a necessary part of getting tags. The 17 digit VIN was never a real problem for obvious reasons. FMVSS compliant should be OK.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is getting worse and worse as more and more states climb onboard against FMV! Hobby has been around for quite sometime, WAY before I got involved back in '09. Now?
There has to be some form of "fear" pushing these people to block FMV's from highway use. WHAT is it? MILLIONS die in "safe" and commercially available vehicles yearly. Are we going to "ban" them too? Motorcycles? Airplanes? Helicopters? Snow mobiles? This is ridiculous! WHAT is the reasoning?/
I'm confused. WHY NOW? What has caused this. I'm REALLY sorry m-35tom! Tellin you to leave the state isn't a "working" solution. It is a solution though. It isn't only here in the States either. Canada? Anything in Europe yet?
I suggest the MVPA might be a place to look into. ......................................

Thanks for the "heads-up" m-35tom

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not clear how this all started but most things get started with a hummer. AM General should be lobbied to make things right when they come out with statements like this.

I'm not sure if they know how difficult they've made things across the board for former military vehicle collectors.

For the good of the greater public, an opposite and equal reaction is warranted.

Attachments

Reworked LMTV

Actually I have done a fair amount of research on where this movement is coming from. It stems from the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. Canadian Administrator are members too. Some, but not all, state MVAs get together to discuss issues facing MVA's. Most recently they have discussed their "challenges" in classifying new types of vehicles. Rather than trying to understand and classify various military vehicles, they have basically said they are all bad because they don't meet some Federal Standards. Put another way, they condemn anything they don't understand. Why do they do it? It make their job easier and it eliminates the need to come up with pesky research and standards, etc. They use a mish mash of Federal Guidelines which, in a number of cases, are not even legally relevant. The fact that they quote only one study is suspect. Incidently, I would request that this study be named. I would contact the primary authors of the study at some point.

What needs to happen is a legal precedent really just needs to be set in ONE of the 50 states that other states will defer to.

Attached is the DMV admin from Oregon's presentation. You will get the feel for what I am talking about.

Notice how a number of states where MV have been banned, that their DMV admin is on the board

Attachments

Last edited:

joshuak

As of 1/1/2019 but just now fully enforced. If you buy a MV in Maryland you will not be able to get tags for it.

Well, that sucks.

Wrong on so many points. But if the people in MD do nothing then nothing will get done.
I moved out of the state this year, but would be willing to donate what resources I can to help elected officials come up with something better if someone gets the ball rolling.

Reworked LMTV

May I suggest that a new organization that represents the legal needs of MV owners needs to be formed. Under the guises of providing information to the general public and legislator about these vehicles. A lobbyist MV hobbiest would be great!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a member here, from Illinois that had some experience in that field. Ma Duce I believe was his member name.......................I'll look

I found and sent a "conversation" .................he hasn't been active for quite a while................we will see, I guess.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks