• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All Military Vehicles banned from road in Maryland

Ajax MD

A brief update:

@TMOMW has been in contact with some of our legislators and brought the bogus ASED bulletin to their attention. It's a bit preliminary, but it sounds like these legislators are going to direct the ASED to revoke the bulletin now that TMOMW has presented them with solid, published facts about SF-97's, FMVSS and MIL-STD-1108B.

That means that FMV's in Maryland will simply be treated like any other vehicle. Qualify for Historic tags and you're willing to live with the restrictions? Go ahead. FMV too young for Historic tags or you prefer to have full use of the vehicle? Go get your safety inspection and regular use registration and tags.

Go Dave!

In a short time, he's done more to untangle DMV bureacracy across multiple states than the MVPA has. I urge you to work with him if you're having title and registration problems in your state.

F18hornetM

That's sounds like [preliminary] good news. I only use my trucks for shows and parades so I'm good with historic tags. I'm glad that others who may use them for commercial reasons will be able to get inspected.

Ajax MD

Dave is requesting that Marylanders contact Delegate Neil C. Parrott and RESPECTFULLY chime in and request that the bulletin be rescinded. Mr. Parrott is on the Transportation Committee.
Dave stresses that Mr. Parrott seems like a good guy and is on our side, so please do not antagonize him. Just make a simple statement of support for rescinding the bulletin. Contact info follows:

Philip Litton
Legislative Assistant
Delegate Neil C. Parrott, P.E.
Maryland House of Delegates
6 Bladen Street, Room 213
Annapolis, MD 21401
1-800-492-7122 x3636
neil.parrott@house.state.md.us

Git 'er done, folks. Dave isn't a Maryland resident. He's done the big legwork for us, let's bring it home and do our bit.

Jericho

Glad I don’t live in yankee land! What’s next? Way too much government

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yankee Land? , first we are all past that with all the liberal southerners moving here ( New Hampshire ) We look at any one from Massachesetts down as South, BUT , only persons from New England are Yankees, Maryland is deep south from me LOL Maine ,Vermont, New Hampshire have very basic requirements for M/Vs . My five ton for example falls into a private, Pick up status . cost me 94$ this year Political action is needed. Its a matter of when it affects many, those will act, Law makers seem to know no end as they layer law after law on top of un-needed law

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no issues registering AMGeneral M35A2's in michigan , I just registered one 3 weeks ago it took all of 5 minutes at the SOS.
A sample size of one doesn't mean much. They may have said no to the guy in front of you and the guy behind you.

My experience has been that DMVs are anything but consistent. (Personal experience, multiple states, multiple vehicles. I've even gotten different information from the same clerk on different days)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A sample size of one doesn't mean much. They may have said no to the guy in front of you and the guy behind you.

My experience has been that DMVs are anything but consistent. (Personal experience, multiple states, multiple vehicles. I've even gotten different information from the same clerk on different days)
I know of 2 or 3 others that have had no issues , the directive from the SOS here clearly states HMMWV's are "OFF ROAD ONLY" no other MV's are affected . The scare tactics these guys out of detroit are using are doing the MV community a dis-service .

Right here is the order from the SOS; https://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Humvee_Info_Letter_526983_7.pdf

There is a reason people are not signing their petition , the mis-information.

Edit; one or two people having issues registering non hmmwv AMGenerals is hardly a reason to cry wolf , the guy in the next line over could have been getting one registered by a different person in the same office.

Last edited:

HDN

I think the problem some folks have is that they give their DMVs too much information. When I registered my deuce, I never said anything about it being military or M-anything. As far as they're concerned, it's a big antique pickup built by AM General, which is totally true. Also, I stick with rural DMVs that deal with farmers and whatever crazy equipment they want to register.

I get that some new MV owners are very proud of their truck and want the world to know about it, but I've learned from people who've been collecting these trucks for a long time that being discreet is key.

For fun, I've thought about how I'd register a Leopard 1. Probably as a Krauss-Maffei ATV.

Now one thing that made me nervous was when Hagerty asked me if I was insuring a HMMWV. Why did they want to know that? :unsure:

Last edited:

TMOMW

I think the problem some folks have is that they give their DMVs too much information. When I registered my deuce, I never said anything about it being military or M-anything. As far as they're concerned, it's a big antique pickup built by AM General, which is totally true. Also, I stick with rural DMVs that deal with farmers and whatever crazy equipment they want to register.

I get that some new MV owners are very proud of their truck and want the world to know about it, but I've learned from people who've been collecting these trucks for a long time that being discreet is key.

For fun, I've thought about how I'd register a Leopard 1. Probably as a Krauss-Maffei ATV.

Now one thing that made me nervous was when Hagerty asked me if I was insuring a HMMWV. Why did they want to know that? :unsure:
about "is it a HMMWV", simple...
AMG is going after any and all people using the HMMWV name and sending letters to everyone again to state that HMMWVs should not be released / driven / and or licensed.... why???
they are getting to release the new 100K+ hummer later this year, they do not want to have the HMMWV out there for legal reasons, and to keep ownership of the name. just like its hard as heck to find a new made hmmwv toy at any store. AMG has filled papers to stop the use (toys, video games, etc).

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
about "is it a HMMWV", simple...
AMG is going after any and all people using the HMMWV name and sending letters to everyone again to state that HMMWVs should not be released / driven / and or licensed.... why???
they are getting to release the new 100K+ hummer later this year, they do not want to have the HMMWV out there for legal reasons, and to keep ownership of the name. just like its hard as heck to find a new made hmmwv toy at any store. AMG has filled papers to stop the use (toys, video games, etc).
It's not AMG releasing the new HUMMER , General Motors is.

Last edited:

TheQuaker

I know of 2 or 3 others that have had no issues , the directive from the SOS here clearly states HMMWV's are "OFF ROAD ONLY" no other MV's are affected . The scare tactics these guys out of detroit are using are doing the MV community a dis-service .

Right here is the order from the SOS; https://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Humvee_Info_Letter_526983_7.pdf

There is a reason people are not signing their petition , the mis-information.
Add me to the list of MV owners in MI that had no issues whatsoever...

I had ZERO problems renewing the registration on my 5-ton earlier this month.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add me to the list of MV owners in MI that had no issues whatsoever...

I had ZERO problems renewing the registration on my 5-ton earlier this month.

Didn't you just buy that last year (2019) and title and registered then without issues also ?

TheQuaker

Didn't you just buy that last year (2019) and title and registered then without issues also ?
Porkysplace

Yes. Bought it in April last year.

The title transfer and registration went without issue last year. Only hiccup was a painfully long wait in line but that's normal without an appointment :)

When I went to register it and transfer the title to me I needed to help the ladies at the counter correct the title for me as their system did not like the manufacturer on the original title (MFG was mis-typed as AMGeneral and I helped them correct it to AM General).

Namzzaj

As of 1/1/2019 but just now fully enforced. If you buy a MV in Maryland you will not be able to get tags for it.

I live in MD and was looking to buy a deuce and half and in doing research I came across this forum and this post. I am hesitant to purchase one now. However I just received this in an email at work and wanted to share it here.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's get that verbage locked down right here on the Steel Soldiers site.

Does this bill make sense to most folks?

Did it cause harm to an individual or group? Anything missing?

I still want to know how we got here and who's name we put to it. This is part of our history and we are going to name those folks who can be credited with messing with us and better unifying the MV voice. After decades of 'cool', practical, logical use of surplus military vehicles, someone infected it with the "milironia vehicrovirus" and they WILL be named. It's part of our history and going forward, I sense it's imperative that critical thinkers in the future understand that HMV and MV owners have not discovered their "walk away point" yet.

• H.B. 1148 allows for the registration of military surplus vehicles, defined as wheeled, multipurpose vehicles, including trailers, that were manufactured for military use by or under the direction of the United States Armed Forces or the armed forces of another country and subsequently authorized for sale to civilians.

• H.B. 1148 provides that military surplus vehicles may be used in off-highway events, exhibitions, on-highway club activities, parades, and other similar events, for occasional pleasure trips, or to facilitate the sale or maintenance of the vehicles, but not for daily transportation.

• H.B. 1148 requires the applicant for the registration of a military surplus vehicle to provide proof that the vehicle has passed a safety inspection. The inspection process shall be developed by the MVA in consultation with military surplus vehicle owners.

• H.B. 1148 recognizes the important historical and patriotic purpose of these vehicles.

• H.B. 1148 acknowledges that military surplus vehicles are becoming valued collectors’ items among the automotive community.

Ajax MD

Plowboy, I'm not sure what you're asking.
You agree or disagree with the proposed bill?

I did not submit this idea or proposal to anyone. I only heard about it today.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My northern opinion is tiny so getting more eyes on this to those who are affected may identify things we haven't considered.

This line for example...........NOT for daily transportation..........If one chooses to drive to work in their MV everyday , where's the harm?

"""""provides that military surplus vehicles may be used in off-highway events, exhibitions, on-highway club activities, parades, and other similar events, for occasional pleasure trips, or to facilitate the sale or maintenance of the vehicles, but not for daily transportation. """"""

Does this bill legislate manufacturers like AM General, GM or others to manage, control or restrict vehicles purchased by the Government, then surplussed to the public?

It's apparent manufacturers lobbying Government partly caused this problem. Will this bill correct that problem for future MV owners?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in MD and was looking to buy a deuce and half and in doing research I came across this forum and this post. I am hesitant to purchase one now. However I just received this in an email at work and wanted to share it here.

Is this the best that can be accomplished for FMV owners and operators? Seems extremely limited and restrictive............................Is it just me?

Ajax MD

@m1010plowboy , @marchplumber -

Basically, I have no idea where this HB-1148 came from. I have inquired with @TMOMW to see if he has any information.
Yes, I find the bill somewhat restrictive.

My big issue with the bill, is that it would essentially prohibit the use of FMVs for business. This would kill Mission BBQ, a large restaurant and catering chain in Maryland that routinely uses M35A3's to cater. I do not understand why if an FMV is required to pass a safety inspection, it could not be used in daily operation.

Right now, Historic tags carry the restrictions described above, but do not require safety inspections. It seems to me, that if you're going to require safety inspections, then the vehicle should be cleared for daily use.

Ajax MD

Ok, spoke on the phone with @TMOMW . As expected, he had nothing to do with this bill and agrees that it is poorly written.

He has requested that I discover the author of the bill and provide all details to him, so that he can get the bill withdrawn or amdended to be more favorable to FMV owners in Maryland. I'm working on this now.

Ajax MD

More information: Based on the SEMA link above, it seems that SEMA may have had a hand in writing this bill, thinking that they were helping FMV owners in Maryland.

The actual Maryland legislative information on the bill is here:

The sponsors are [R] which leads me to believe that they mean well, but need more information and education. That is where @TMOMW excels. He will help us amend the bill to avoid negative impacts to businesses that use FMV's as well as hobbyists.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks