• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All Military Vehicles banned from road in Maryland

Among Calinus

What did you give them paperwork wise to get it all straightened out?

I have hits coming back from NY and FL. MVA doesnt want any of the paperwork I tried to give them.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone had duplicate serial number issues in MD or any other state that uses the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)?

Part of my problem registering my vehicle is the serial number hitting back on multiple vehicles. I am wondering how people got around/through this problem?

Thanks in advance

Shawn

It's more common with trailers, whose serial numbers are usually 4 or 5 digits. Try registering a trailer, and having the same serial number reported as stolen in 3 different states....

Having a different manufacturer, should fix any issues.

MVA, like most gov't run systems, is absolute crap.

I can't count how many times I've had to argue with them. From an SF-97 - 'This isn't a title, and this vehicle doesn't exist, how do you have a 5 year old car with 40K miles that's never been registered?', to 'We are fining you for not keeping insurance on a vehicle, despite you selling the vehicle 6 months ago and turning in the license plates to us'...

Move out of MD.. you'll be happier.. trust me.

Every vehicle I've bought since I moved, that I've needed titled/registered, I've been in/out in like 15 mins... Except for one.. and that's because they didn't know how to deal with it a very specific issue, heh.

Last edited:

Buck Wampum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone had duplicate serial number issues in MD or any other state that uses the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)?

Part of my problem registering my vehicle is the serial number hitting back on multiple vehicles. I am wondering how people got around/through this problem?

Thanks in advance

Shawn
Hi Shawn,
Same thing happened to me when I titled my M706 here in PA this year. Prior owner was a MD resident and he transferred it to me on a clean MD title from 2013. Vehicle has a 5-digit serial number (not a VIN) and had multiple hits in NMVTIS. Apparently PennDOT didn't care, they were more flustered that the maker is Cadillac Gage (no affiliation with GM), it is not the "Cadillac" division of GM that they had a code for in their system. Apparently they had to get an override for "Cadillac Gage".

The fact that my vehicle had a recent MD title means MD must be willing to override the duplicate "VIN" issue, since my vehicle has had the same S/N since it's DOM in 1969 and the NMVTIS is a national system. If my vehicle had the issue in PA, it must have had the same issue in MD in 2013.

As long as the serial number of your vehicle is not hitting on the same make of vehicle, they should be able to override it. You can try explaining to them that military vehicles have a S/N, not a VIN. Next ask them if there is a dual overlap (overlap of BOTH maker AND VIN). If your military vehicle is a different make than any other VIN that it is conflicting with, that should not be an issue. For example, your vehicle would be easily distinguishable from my vehicle, even if both our vehicles had the same VIN (or in our case, S/N), because they would have different makes.

Failing that, you can ask to establish a VIN for your vehicle. I had to do this for a boat trailer when I lived in NY. Incredibly, it's VIN was on a PAPER STICKER (!!!) that was located on the frame back by the rear bunk. Of course it had been immersed countless times at the boat launch and had disintegrated over the years. NY assigned a VIN for it and I then had to stamp it into the frame w a numbered /lettered punch set. Piece of cake.

Might want to check to see if MD has that option.

dmetalmiki

This is getting worse and worse as more and more states climb onboard against FMV! Hobby has been around for quite sometime, WAY before I got involved back in '09. Now?
There has to be some form of "fear" pushing these people to block FMV's from highway use. WHAT is it? MILLIONS die in "safe" and commercially available vehicles yearly. Are we going to "ban" them too? Motorcycles? Airplanes? Helicopters? Snow mobiles? This is ridiculous! WHAT is the reasoning?/
I'm confused. WHY NOW? What has caused this. I'm REALLY sorry m-35tom! Tellin you to leave the state isn't a "working" solution. It is a solution though. It isn't only here in the States either. Canada? Anything in Europe yet?
I suggest the MVPA might be a place to look into. ......................................

Thanks for the "heads-up" m-35tom
Not quite yet..But because our VOSA is out of now privatised and out of money, ( for all the 'shareholders and easy money money tree grabbers,) they WILL (as of late) stop ANYTHING on wheels to make a quid, (or 3000!!).
Tires over 10 years old..CONFISCATED!...As for old ex military vehicles
Do NOT even attempt to pass their inspection (CASH COW) Point.
ANY shows and events for us over the Thames is a 'NO GO' area.
Does this sound familiar??..De-regulation at it's best. You guys get a bellyful of that over there.

F18hornetM

It's more common with trailers, whose serial numbers are usually 4 or 5 digits. Try registering a trailer, and having the same serial number reported as stolen in 3 different states....

Having a different manufacturer, should fix any issues.

MVA, like most gov't run systems, is absolute crap.

I can't count how many times I've had to argue with them. From an SF-97 - 'This isn't a title, and this vehicle doesn't exist, how do you have a 5 year old car with 40K miles that's never been registered?', to 'We are fining you for not keeping insurance on a vehicle, despite you selling the vehicle 6 months ago and turning in the license plates to us'...

Move out of MD.. you'll be happier.. trust me.

Every vehicle I've bought since I moved, that I've needed titled/registered, I've been in/out in like 15 mins... Except for one.. and that's because they didn't know how to deal with it a very specific issue, heh.

Its not that simple for some of us who live in the good parts of the state and have our livelihoods and family here to "just move out of the state". I don't disagree with you as I'm sure there are much "less blue states" states. To make that statement is not a realistic solution. On the other hand I have tagged and titled 8 trucks over the last 10 years with no issues. I recently sold a M931 and the new owner tagged with no issue. Just saying!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks