• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

ordkhntr

just went from post 1 to the last..........
and once I get my M105a2 fixed (ok, once I pick it up), the hunt for a M35 will begin...and then I will go to post 1 again. Great thread! I am down in Harrisburg.

frigar78

I name all my vehicals "b#tch" because when its stuck / broke / or lets me down. i say ca'mon b#tch, or you son of a B$tch. just something to consider

sewerzuk

Just a quick update in the continuing ownership "saga" of my Deuce!

My annual trip to Mudfest in Sweet Home www.themud.com is coming up in a couple of weeks. This involves a few hundred miles on the highway and a day of driving in the mud; so I typically take this time to do a fairly complete preventative maintenance on my truck.
As part of that work, I pulled the hubs to inspect/repack wheel bearings. I noticed the front brake linings were showing some pretty significant wear (almost down to the rivets). So, it was brake time! I ordered a new set of shoes from a seller on ebay and installed them in the front axle. I also ordered 2 relining "kits" from Eastern Surplus for the rear axles. I haven't installed those yet, but when I do I'll be sure to post pics of the re-lining procedure (I haven't done this before, so I'll be learning along the way).
I also replaced the #3 injector line; it had a persistent leak at the injection pump end. I tried tightening it a little, but didn't want to really torque down on it and risk damaging the distribution head on the pump. The new line seems to have stopped the leak.
The original 6TL batteries were showing signs of failure (they were very old; not sure of the exact age, but they were at least 10 years old...possibly older). The truck was cranking over more slowly, and if I didn't leave the battery tenders plugged in both batteries would self-discharge over a few weeks. So, I purchased a dual optima tray from Ballistic Fabrication and installed a pair of Optima 34/78 yellow top batteries. I've had very good luck with the yellow tops; I have them in EVERY other vehicle that I own...one of them is 9 years old and still works like new. I typically subject the batteries to all manners of abuse, including welding, winching, repeated discharges, etc. The batteries in the deuce should lead a relatively easy life compared to my other rigs...
I put together my air fill/drain rig for the new valve stems on my MRAP wheels; it works great. Having those large bore valve stems is GREAT for quick air adjustment. I typically reduce air pressure in the tires when off road, and it usually takes close to 30 minutes to air them back up. Hopefully this will shave a few minutes off of that time.

Just a quick update in the continuing ownership "saga" of my Deuce!

I put together my air fill/drain rig for the new valve stems on my MRAP wheels; it works great. Having those large bore valve stems is GREAT for quick air adjustment. I typically reduce air pressure in the tires when off road, and it usually takes close to 30 minutes to air them back up. Hopefully this will shave a few minutes off of that time.
Can you post a few photos of this? I'm interested since the CTIS on my 5-ton is not very reliable.
thanks.

sewerzuk

Can you post a few photos of this? I'm interested since the CTIS on my 5-ton is not very reliable.
thanks.
2014-02-26 15.56.13.jpg

This is it! Pretty simple little setup. Cheap anodized aluminum air manifold with 4 ports, a 25' air hose cut in half, a 0-120PSI gauge, a small ball valve, and some fittings. The one shown in the pic has the large bore ag-style air chucks on it for the MRAP valve stems on my truck, but I have another very similar setup for standard valve stems.

sewerzuk

Seats!

So, I've been putting up with the stock Deuce seats in my truck since day 1. I have a long-ish trip coming up this weekend, and was not looking forward to sitting on the stock seats for 14 hours. Both seats were showing wear and tear, and have always been uncomfortable. Also, I've also never been a fan of lap belts...I've seen a number of significant internal injuries caused by a single lap belt. So, I decided to upgrade the seating! I purchased a couple of leather reclining bucket seats with slide rails and a couple of 4 point harnesses.
I had to build custom seat brackets specific to each side (the bolt holes are not in the same locations and do not have the same spacing on the driver and passenger side). I did add a couple of extra bolts through the floor, as I intend for the structure I built to ALSO carry the seat belt load.
The belts will not show up until tomorrow; I will post additional pics once everything is complete and installed in the truck.

2014-02-26 15.21.48.jpg2014-02-26 15.21.55.jpg2014-02-26 15.22.04.jpg2014-02-24 20.26.37.jpg2014-02-26 15.21.39.jpg2014-02-26 16.10.12.jpg2014-02-26 18.47.50.jpg2014-02-27 10.40.30.jpg

sewerzuk

Didn't get any good photos or video this year; my "normal" cameraman decided to back out of the trip because of work! And, there was just too much rain to get any good video footage...
My wife did snap some photos of me during the cleanup this morning. Once the underside of the truck stops dripping, I'll climb back under there with the grease gun...
On another note, a photographer for Petersen's 4x4 magazine was there and got a lot of "action" shots of the deuce...looks like I might end up on the pages of a magazine sometime in the coming months!

IMG_3186.jpgIMG_3180.jpgIMG_3177.jpgIMG_3175.jpgIMG_3167.jpgIMG_3160.jpg

Br0nc0xrapt0r

About 6 years ago I decided I wanted a Deuce and started doing research. I came across your videos on youtube and I was really pleasantly surprized when I found your build thread on here. Thanks for documenting everything on here, I really love what you have done with it. My plans are to keep it very "Deuce" still but add lots of touches like you have, super single, gauges, Hydro steer. Bravo on the fantastic work and thanks for documenting it.

sewerzuk

Latest issue of Petersen's 4x4 magazine

I picked up the latest issue of Petersen's 4 wheel & off road, and there was my Deuce! Page 64...

2014-06-01 08.36.37.jpg

peashooter

That's pretty cool! Also how did your seat upgrade work out? What seats did you end up using and would you do anything different if you did it again? Any pictures of the new seats mounted? Thanks

sewerzuk

That's pretty cool! Also how did your seat upgrade work out? What seats did you end up using and would you do anything different if you did it again? Any pictures of the new seats mounted? Thanks
Yes ! Pictures of the seats and where did you get the seats, who makes them ?
Thanks.
Attached are some pics of the seats installed in the deuce (took them this morning). Hard to get a good angle inside of the cab! The're still a bit dirty from my last outing...
They worked out great; the side bolsters helped keep my butt firmly planted in front of the steering wheel, and the 4+ hour drive on the highway was significantly less painful. I should have done that upgrade years ago.

The seats are available at O'Reilly auto parts. They're fairly inexpensive...but they look good, and so far have held up well to abuse. And they're more comfortable than the factory seats.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks