• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

sewerzuk

Sewerzuk,

What'd the tires set you back and have you a link on where to find them?

I just want to add, I am jealous of your headache rack, and bed design.

:idea: I think it'd be nicely complemented with a roof rack, and maybe some roof mounted forward and rear lights.

:idea:Also, Have you considered a stakebed setup for yours? Considering not everything hauled is weatherproof, this would be a intresting setup, taking into account that it'd be stowable for loading and unloading, and adaptable in a few minutes with square tubing bent to make the bows.

13f10
I bought the tires from 100dollarman. He's here on the SS site; send him a PM and see what he can put together for you...he was very helpful in setting me up with a complete package with tires, inner tubes, a winch, etc. He also has a website: 100Dollarman - Military Surplus Home!

I actually do have rear facing lights flush mounted into the rack; the 2 lights on the side uprights are stop/turn red LED's, but the 2 in the horizontal top bar are high intensity white LED's. They light up the bed area quite well. I have 2 more of these lights in the bed itself, also facing rearward. There are also some side mounted LED's on the uprights that illuminate the door area on the truck, and some light strips mounted under the truck that illuminate the ground for night wheeling. I do have some 6 watt LED lights on the front of the truck, but I am in the process of putting together some H3 HID lights that will also face forward (you just can't beat the light output of a HID beam). I took a pic of the truck at night and put it in an earlier post (post #4 on page 1 of this thread). The pic doesn't do it justice. I had a friend come over last weekend to use my lift; it was after dark, and as I pulled the deuce out of the shop his exact words were, "I have never seen that thing in the dark before. Words escape me."

And yes, my original plan was to french in stake pockets with quick release pins; it's just one of those things I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I really don't use the truck for hauling...I have my dodge and a 14k trailer for that. I agree it would be a good idea, and one of these days I'll probably pick up the welder and bust out the entire system...just waiting for the free time :cool:

sewerzuk

TxDot labels these excuses as "Collision with Unknown Object in Roadway."

13f10
:twisted:

Very well done. You sir are quite the mechanic. I hope to try the steering mod soon.
Good Thread - Nice build - I am now officially SUBSCRIBED :grin:
Thanks for all the good info [thumbzup], nice looking Deuce, I just seen your Deuce on youtub
Thanks!

Excellent bit of info there...good articles on the legality of hydro steering, beadlocks and other state by state info. It seems to agree with my own research, as well. So, full hydro steering is legal (or not illegal, depending on how you look at it) in 49 states. If you live in Tennessee, you're SOL for this mod :neutral:

sewerzuk

I’ve had several requests for a parts list for the hydro steering setup that I put together…I didn’t post specifics in any of my prior posts, so I figured I would take a few minutes to put a detailed one together. Hopefully, this more detailed list will help kick start somebody’s project
A bit of extra money was spent on some high quality parts; some savings could be realized with a less expensive filter, reservoir, cooler, etc. And, the prices on the PSC website can be reduced significantly by shopping around; there are several retailers that carry PSC products and they will put together a competitive quote. I purchased almost all of my parts from Low Range Off Road.
I would like to preface this by explaining that the steering setup I used is in NO WAY bolt-on. It is a fairly quick and easy swap, but there is some welding and fabrication required. And, keep in mind, you are dealing with the steering on a 14k lb truck. It needs to work reliably all the time. Don’t try to cut any corners. A 110v harbor freight flux core welder is NOT the machine you want to use to build your ram truss, and this is not the system to use cheap materials and parts on. [/soapbox]
Ok…on to the parts list 

PSC:
Steering cylinder
P/N: SC2217K
3" Bore x 9" Stroke DE Cylinder-zSC2217K : Cylinders, Full Hydraulic Cylinders | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

Clevis Ends
P/N: SC16
Large Steering Cylinder Clevis End-SC16 : Cylinders, Hardware | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

Tie Rod Kit
P/N: TR120HD
Heavy Duty DE Cylinder Tie Rod Kit-TR120HD : Tie Rods, Heims, and Related Components, Tie Rod Kits | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

Tie Rod Adapter Bushing
P/N: TRB10
Tie Rod End Adapter Bushing-TRB10 : Rockwell Axle Steering Component, High Steer Arms | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

Steering Valve
P/N: FHV-DF200
PSC Steering Valve 200cc/12ci : Off-road Steering Components | Full Hydraulic Steering Systems and Components | Steering Control Valves | PSC Motorsports - performance power steering

Steering Column
FHC-19CS
19 inch overall length column with splined quick release-FHC19CS : Full Hydraulic Steering Systems and Components, Steering Columns | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

Steering Wheel
SW15ST
15" Black Steel Steering Wheel-SW15ST : Steering Wheels And Components, Steering Wheels Only | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

Valve Bracket
MB22
Weld on Steering Valve Bracket-MB22 : Full Hydraulic Steering Systems and Components, Steering Columns | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

Cylinder mount bracket
P/N: MBROCKWELL1
Single Cylinder Mount kit Rockwell 2.5 ton Axle-MBROCKWELL1 : Rockwell Axle Steering Component, Cylinder Mounts | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

#6 field serviceable hydraulic ends
QTY 4
P/N: HA2-690
#6 Field Serviceable 90 Degree Large OD-HA2-690 : Steering Hose and Fittings, Fittings Only | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

#8 field serviceable hydraulic ends
QTY 2
P/N: HA1-890
A1 #8 Field Serviceable 90 Degree Fitting-HA1-890 : Steering Hose and Fittings, Fittings Only | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

Summit Racing:

-8 rubber hose
P/N: SUM-220787-B
Summit Racing SUM-220787-B - Summit Racing® Twist-Tite Hose - Overview - SummitRacing.com

3/4” NPT to -8 AN fitting
P/N: FBM2530
Aeroquip FBM2530 - Aeroquip AN to NPT Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Oil Cooler
P/N: 70273
B&M 70273 - B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

-10 AN to JIC #10 fitting
Qty: 2
P/N: SUM-220162
Summit Racing SUM-220162 - Summit Racing® AN O-Ring to AN Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

90 degree -8 AN to -8 barbed fitting
Qty: 6
P/N: SUM-220712
Summit Racing SUM-220712 - Summit Racing® Twist-Tite Hose Ends - Overview - SummitRacing.com

1/2” NPT to -8 AN fitting
Qty: 3
P/N: SUM-220847
Summit Racing SUM-220847 - Summit Racing® AN to NPT Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

LowRange Off Road:
Filter/reservoir
Reservoir Filter Kit (130565-1-K) - Steering - Builder Parts

Classified ads:
5 Ton hydraulic pump

Your local hydraulic shop:
12’ of 3/8” hydraulic line, rated for 3500psi or greater
6’ of 1/2” hydraulic line, 3500 psi or greater
5 quarts of hydraulic fluid

Your local hardware store:
Misc bolts for mounting reservoir, cooler, valve, etc.
1/4” plate steel for mounting brackets for reservoir, valve, cooler, etc.

spicergear

Quick question: What's the difference in overall track width between the dimension of outside to outside of front tires and outside to outside of rear tires? Or could you post both overall dimensions.

Thanks!

bones1

Sewerzuk, that is exactly the kind of list I/we needed. Thank you for taking the time and energy to compile this for us and I am sure many members here will attempt this conversion now that you have taken most of the mystery out of it. I know I will.
Thanks again.
Steve.

Last edited:

asgtoolman

Sewrezuk; Thanks for all the info and THANKS for the soapbox--I don't want to meet a 14,000 truck coming down the road with Harbor "fright" welding holding it's steering together.

littlefoot

thanks sewerzuk all of your info was a huge help in the modifing of my deuce. i do alot of wheeling with the big monster and cant wait to get started on my own steering setup.thanks agian for taking the time to list all of the parts.great job with all of your work:grin::grin::grin:

emr

I really am a purist on these trucks, but U sure won me over, wayyyy beautiful Job, i really like your style, good job everything looks so good and like it belongs, , very very sweet... you do really nice work........:beer:

emr

I knew somebody would ask this eventually :beer:

I know that lots of people lament the quality of their deuce brakes....mine seem to work better than most. Right after I put my 395's on, I tried a few practice "panic stops" from 55; basically got to a deserted stretch of pavement and mashed the brakes to the floor. Both rear axles fully locked up, and the front tires howled a little (though they did not lock up, they did leave some rubber on the road). So, I plan to leave the factory brakes alone, for now.

Also, my mods aren't really "go fast" mods...they're "keep drivers behind me from getting pissed off" mods rofl
Since I don't do any heavy hauling with my rig, I'm not too concerned with brake fade on the steep grades, either.

Several months ago I had toyed with the idea of adding pinion brakes to the axles as a secondary system...was thinking about some kind of electric over hydraulic actuator so the system would be separate from the factory brakes. But, I've kind of put that idea on the back burner for now, as I don't feel like my rig really needs them.
I personally think at 55 the deuce brakes are fine, and have practiced panic stops and been there for real, over 55 its not the brakes in my eyes its a combo of suspension tires and brakes that make em iffy, and when guys get to 70, well i politely say they are nuts. :) oh and i will say... dangerous. thats more than an opinion for me, good luck this is one awesome post and U sure are on it... :)

ososlow

I'm loving your MV. I will be borrowing many of your ideas should I ever fulfil my dream of owning a deuce. :cool:

Just a thought on hydro steering, couldn't one piece together a kit using forklift parts? I know the forklifts at my work have many of the same looking parts I see in your parts list. I have also helped install a new cylinder in a big Clark which would be overkill on a deuce. I imagine that there must be a more affordable, but not necessarily as safe of a way to go about it. I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Cleptomaniac

I was wondering the same thing. I have a friend that deals in used forklift parts and could get them very cheap! Any thoughts on this would be great.

sewerzuk

I'm loving your MV. I will be borrowing many of your ideas should I ever fulfil my dream of owning a deuce. :cool:

Just a thought on hydro steering, couldn't one piece together a kit using forklift parts? I know the forklifts at my work have many of the same looking parts I see in your parts list. I have also helped install a new cylinder in a big Clark which would be overkill on a deuce. I imagine that there must be a more affordable, but not necessarily as safe of a way to go about it. I apologize if this has already been discussed.
Lots of off road guys I know use forklift parts for their steering...so yes, it is possible to piece together a kit, and it has been done before. The problem with the rockwell axle is that it takes a ram with a 9" stroke; shorter than that and you lose some of your turning radius, longer than that and you'll be putting added stress on your steering stops. The ram really needs to be around 3", as well; smaller than that and you won't have enough power to turn the wheels, larger and you'll need to find a larger hydraulic pump, or you'll experience a lag while turning the wheel. You also need to make sure you get a steering valve that works with the ram to give you around 4 turns lock to lock.
Those specific requirements prevented me from piecing together a kit on my rig...but it sounds like you have better access to hydraulic steering parts than I do, so go for it!

13F10

I bought the tires from 100dollarman. He's here on the SS site; send him a PM and see what he can put together for you...he was very helpful in setting me up with a complete package with tires, inner tubes, a winch, etc. He also has a website: 100Dollarman - Military Surplus Home!

I actually do have rear facing lights flush mounted into the rack; the 2 lights on the side uprights are stop/turn red LED's, but the 2 in the horizontal top bar are high intensity white LED's. They light up the bed area quite well. I have 2 more of these lights in the bed itself, also facing rearward. There are also some side mounted LED's on the uprights that illuminate the door area on the truck, and some light strips mounted under the truck that illuminate the ground for night wheeling. I do have some 6 watt LED lights on the front of the truck, but I am in the process of putting together some H3 HID lights that will also face forward (you just can't beat the light output of a HID beam). I took a pic of the truck at night and put it in an earlier post (post #4 on page 1 of this thread). The pic doesn't do it justice. I had a friend come over last weekend to use my lift; it was after dark, and as I pulled the deuce out of the shop his exact words were, "I have never seen that thing in the dark before. Words escape me."

And yes, my original plan was to french in stake pockets with quick release pins; it's just one of those things I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I really don't use the truck for hauling...I have my dodge and a 14k trailer for that. I agree it would be a good idea, and one of these days I'll probably pick up the welder and bust out the entire system...just waiting for the free time :cool:
Sewerzuk,

You know this requires some serious action shots, right? I mean it's all fine and dandy that you got it out of the shop and snapped a few of it with the lights on... But, in order to fully appreciate the illumination values i think WE need to see some wheelin'.

ososlow

Lots of off road guys I know use forklift parts for their steering...so yes, it is possible to piece together a kit, and it has been done before. The problem with the rockwell axle is that it takes a ram with a 9" stroke; shorter than that and you lose some of your turning radius, longer than that and you'll be putting added stress on your steering stops. The ram really needs to be around 3", as well; smaller than that and you won't have enough power to turn the wheels, larger and you'll need to find a larger hydraulic pump, or you'll experience a lag while turning the wheel. You also need to make sure you get a steering valve that works with the ram to give you around 4 turns lock to lock.
Those specific requirements prevented me from piecing together a kit on my rig...but it sounds like you have better access to hydraulic steering parts than I do, so go for it!
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm a long ways off of ever doing this myself (need an M35 first), but I was just curious to find out. Having the rams professionally rebuilt, I imagine they can put some stops inside to limit throw.
I'll take some measurements of the ram on the GP40KL's I operate at work. Maybe some small parts will go missing one day :lol:

sewerzuk

Sewerzuk,

You know this requires some serious action shots, right? I mean it's all fine and dandy that you got it out of the shop and snapped a few of it with the lights on... But, in order to fully appreciate the illumination values i think WE need to see some wheelin'.
Don't worry about that...pics and a video are comin' :driver:

Over the weekend, I managed to get entered in the 2011 Mud Flats in sweet home, OR. Here's the link:
The Official Site of SFWDA

I've been there in different vehicles many times in prior years...but this is a first in the deuce. I'll be sure to take lots of pics and a video for all to see...I'll post em up here after March 5th :beer:

srodocker

sewer thanks for the headsup on forkcliff setups im going to do this and know where tons of junk forkcliffs are! so i'll see how cheap i can get it.

sewerzuk

so...I'm betting there might be some SS members here that like guns
rofl

So...anybody got a clever idea on how I could mount my BA50 in the bed of the deuce? Thinking some kind of swivel seat mount. Kinda thinkin' it might be badass to roll up to a rock quarry and touch off some .50 BMG tracers from the bed of the deuce
I'm more of a mechanic than a gun nut, so I'm looking for some input here.
Links?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks