• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

sewerzuk

After reading through all the pages of this awesome thread, I became more interested in the whole 395's on stock, unflipped wheels. I saw the above question asked, but didnt run across an answer. I am curious as to what the track difference is as well?

Havent picked up my deuce yet, but theres plenty of sweet ideas I plan on thieving... ;)
The difference is right at 13" total (6.5" per side). It raining sideways outside right now...otherwise I would post more dimensions.

sewerzuk

on another note, looks like my Deuce is going to make it on Spike TV next month as parts of a short Warn video...I'll post times and days here as soon as I know them.

sewerzuk

Back to a little tech; I have been running these locking hubs for several months now (including the road trip to the mudfest, and in the event itself). I haven't noticed any huge change in fuel mileage or power (although I am sure there is some). They have held up fine through some serious flogging in the mud and a couple of full throttle rocky hill climbs. I know that the Ouverson and a few others out there are reputed to be stronger, etc. But these have worked out well for me so far.

I bought them at Summit Racing for $490
They are the Milemarker Selectro brand, part number 11167-01

Easy quick install...

Attachments

sewerzuk

Next project:
I have a Warn 18 series 24v winch that I will be mounting under the bed. I have a series of rollers and fairleads that I will set up so that the cable can be routed out the headache rack for sideways pulls or to winch something up onto the bed, or routed directly out the back of the truck for reverse winching. I'll be sure to post pics as soon as the project is underway...

srodocker

Any links on the warn 24v winch. Im hopeing to get one by the end of the summer. Going to mount it up front. You running spacers or anything in the front on the wheels or do you still rub?

sewerzuk

Any links on the warn 24v winch. Im hopeing to get one by the end of the summer. Going to mount it up front. You running spacers or anything in the front on the wheels or do you still rub?
No links on the winch; I got mine direct from Warn. They run about $2k without cable, fairlead, etc. A fully loaded one is around $4k. Not a cheap winch, but they are SUPER heavy duty and a lot of thought went into the little details on them. It is built like a tank!

No spacers on the front wheels...no rubbing...no drag link, either :mrgreen:
Before I did the hydro conversion, the front tire did rub on the drag link at full lock when turning right, but it wasn't too severe. It actually didn't rub at all unless the suspension was compressed a little (hard cornering, any articulation, etc.).

srodocker

ahh nice. Another guy posted said he found a couple of the 18k warns for under 1k which perked up my ears some. they were used but still decent. Did the winch come with the keychain remote. I think it was that winch that I saw came with one couldnt remember.

sewerzuk

Thought I would post a few pics and a sum-up of my trip to the Oregon dunes...

I drove from my place in Seaside down to our campsite, just north of Coos Bay (about 220 miles one way, took me about 6 hours) loaded with camping gear and my sandrail. The deuce worked perfect...and the weather was great so it was windows down and earplugs in the whole trip :)

We were camping out on the dunes, so I had a short trip out across the sand to our campsite. With the tires fully aired up, the deuce did awful in the sand! I could barely give it any throttle before violent wheelhop required me to back out of it (even with the front axle engaged). I made it to the campsite, however. I bought some Staun tire deflators a while back:
Tire Deflators by Staun and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware
They are almost a necessity for airing down the deuce...I have mine set to 8psi (for the rear axles) and 15 psi (for the fronts). I have always aired down my wheeling rigs once I am off road and it always makes a big difference, but the change in the deuce was nothing short of amazing! It almost floated across the sand and I only locked the front axle in while climbing the steeper dune faces. I drove that beast up some huge dunes and, while it did run out of power on the steeper climbs, I was able to crest a few dunes that a couple of toyota pickups in our group were not able to climb. A friend of mine brought a giant pirate flag, so we flew that above the deuce all weekend. I also grabbed a 1000lb piece of driftwood for our campfire...initially I was worried about its weight being difficult to pull across the sand, but I barely noticed it was there. I'm certain I could have pulled something twice as big with no problem. 5 or 6 miles across the sand, and straight into our campfire! I managed to squeeze the deuce down some pretty tight trails, and it was very controllable even at high speeds. The smaller steering wheel and hydro steering payed off BIG TIME!
Including the driving on the dunes, I logged about 550 miles over the weekend, and just a little over 10 MPG. Not bad, considering the amount of time I spent in the sand.
Easily over 100 people gave me a wave, salute, thumbs up, etc. during the trip...even a sheriff's deputy stopped by our campsite to compliment the rig.

Attachments

sewerzuk

Paint job!

I've had the paint sitting around for a while...just got around to actually doing the work this weekend. I used 2 coats of a single stage paint in a Satin sheen, a couple of shades darker than the OD that was on there. I had the paint color matched to rust-oleum "hunt club green" so that it could be touched up with a rattle can, if necessary. I didn't do any real major prep work, except to sand down the military runs and sags, wire brush the hinges on the hood, and apply some self-etching primer to the ares that I sanded through to bare metal. Took about 12 hours to prep and mask, and about an hour to spray. I didn't paint the inside of the truck...for now.
It looks really good...almost like an entirely different vehicle.

I got the series 18 winch installed under the bed as well...pics will have to wait for now, as I am still waiting for a license plate bracket and I'd prefer to post pics of the project once it is 100% complete.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had the paint sitting around for a while...just got around to actually doing the work this weekend. I used 2 coats of a single stage paint in a Satin sheen, a couple of shades darker than the OD that was on there. I had the paint color matched to rust-oleum "hunt club green" so that it could be touched up with a rattle can, if necessary. I didn't do any real major prep work, except to sand down the military runs and sags, wire brush the hinges on the hood, and apply some self-etching primer to the ares that I sanded through to bare metal. Took about 12 hours to prep and mask, and about an hour to spray. I didn't paint the inside of the truck...for now.
It looks really good...almost like an entirely different vehicle.

I got the series 18 winch installed under the bed as well...pics will have to wait for now, as I am still waiting for a license plate bracket and I'd prefer to post pics of the project once it is 100% complete.
It's amazing what a little fresh paint will do for the real estate values in the neighborhood [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks