• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

sewerzuk

How does your full hydro steering handle? I seen your youtube video. I was just curious if it wonders on the road and feels loose?
It handles better than with the stock steering setup; I have a load-reactive steering valve in the system so there is some "feel" in the steering wheel, but you do feel a bit disconnected from what is happening under the truck. Aside from the reduced effort, the biggest plus is the 3.5 turns lock to lock...much more maneuverable than with the manual steering. I've logged a fair amount of road miles with this setup, and never once regretted the swap.

I've had a number of vehicles with full hydraulic steering...the deuce really lends itself to full hydro because of the long wheelbase, large tire size, and relatively heavy weight. It doesn't feel jittery or wander like a lighter or shorter wheelbase rig does.

sewerzuk

Did you use the pcs kit? How do you think it would handle in a bobbed deuce?
I put together my own kit...largely using PSC components. There is a list of parts that I used earlier in this thread.
I think it would still be fine in a bobber...but no firsthand experience with that one.

HanksDeuce

Loved the video! A few questions if I may...

1) What tire pressure did you run in the sand?
2) How long does it take to fill the tires back up with air?
3) Do you use the on-board compressor to fill them up?
4) Would you have been able to do all of that in your video without lockers?

sewerzuk

Loved the video! A few questions if I may...

1) What tire pressure did you run in the sand?
2) How long does it take to fill the tires back up with air?
3) Do you use the on-board compressor to fill them up?
4) Would you have been able to do all of that in your video without lockers?
1. About 5 psi in the rear, 10 psi in the front (give or take a few psi). Lowering tire pressure makes the biggest difference out in the sand.
2. I run about 40 in the rear tandems and about 60 in the fronts. It takes roughly 30 minutes to fill back up to these pressures.
3. Yep. I made up a small manifold with a pressure gauge, a small ball valve, and locking air chucks so that I can air up 2 tires at a time (this matches the air pressure on the same axle exactly)
4. Yep. Lockers don't make that much difference when you're scooting across the top of the sand. They make a huge difference in ruts, rocks, off-camber twisty stuff, and mud (when there's something at the bottom to grab)...but 95% of the time they just aren't needed in the sand.

Goomer214

Love this thread
I had a Duce a few years ago didn't have the money or time for it so I sold it now I want one again so many available mods that I didn't have available to me I love it

rustystud

Love this thread
I had a Duce a few years ago didn't have the money or time for it so I sold it now I want one again so many available mods that I didn't have available to me I love it
Hate to burst your bubble "Goomer", but around here deuces are few and far between. They command a high price. You would do better to get a newer 5 ton. There is a place in Idaho that still has deuces for sell, but like I said they want a "very pretty penny" for them !

sewerzuk

Got to use the deuce for some "real" work last week; the city of Cannon Beach tasked me with doing some steel handrails, posts, and some other small jobs right on the beach. One of those jobs required some concrete for some galvanized steel bollards. A couple of the locations were too far away for the local pump to send concrete to, so I loaded up the deuce with 2 pallets of concrete mix, got a permit to drive on the beach, aired the tires down, and put it to work. It worked great; much more efficient than breaking the load down into smaller bits and hauling them with my work truck. And, I got about 50 "thumbs up" from local beachgoers :)

The city also has a chassis wash station; 3" steel pipe buried in the ground with about 500 holes drilled in it at various angles connected to a high pressure water pump. After my day on the beach was over, I got to use the wash station to remove salt/sand/dirt. Worked great...the underside of the truck has never looked cleaner!

2015-08-13 15.33.03.jpgdeuce.jpg

sewerzuk

Well, I'm considering sending this truck off to a new owner.
I have driven this A2 about 3000 miles each year that I owned it, until last year when it only saw about 500 miles. This year is shaping up to be another 500 mile year. I just don't have the time to enjoy it like I used to. In addition to this, I'm trying to buy an airplane. My wife says I have too many toys and that some of them need to go before an airplane gets thrown into the mix.
I haven't decided to put it up for sale just yet, but it is looking more and more like that may happen. I'll be sure to post an ad in the classified here on SS if/when the time comes.

So, my question is this: what do you guys think it is worth?

Sometimes modifications add value to a vehicle, sometimes they don't. I'm not really sure if there is a big demand for a truck like this, or if it is a novelty that really doesn't have much value.
On two previous occasions, I was offered a little over $10k for the truck. I'm not sure how serious either buyer was, but I got the feeling that the offers were serious. At the time, I didn't want to sell the truck so I simply said no.
Mine looks pretty good but there are certainly cleaner A2's out there; it has some scratches, dents, bits of rust, etc. Things like the lockers, both winches, HEMMTT wheels and 395's, and hydraulic steering must add some kind of value to the truck.
It seems like $10k-ish is a reasonable starting point, but I'm interested to get some input from the guys who are more involved in the used M35A2 market.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
With the market being flooded by 939 series trucks, 800 series and deuces haven't been as popular. That said, deuces aren't being surplussed out like they were, so pickins are slim. I'd offer it up at 10k and see how much interest there is. You can always come down in price, but its hard to go up in price.

Just my ramblings...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks