• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

big block 88

Looks very good bud, I love painting duece's everything is so open an easy to paint. Not much to mask off. Just open the gun up and let her rip.:jumpin:

That is one VERY sweet rig.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:cool:_____Diesel Fitter !_____:cool:

For Cool and Useful Modifications to a Large Diesel truck,

As Judged Unanimously by the Grand Visier of PBR Welder Hacks,

The Covetous and Rarefied Diesel Fitter Award is Hereby Bestowed Upon

sewerzuk

MrArmyAnt

Love the truck, yours almost got me to not bob my deuce, but after driving mine around town the length was just a bit to much. I have a series 18 as well, awesome winch, im using synthetic line I purchased off ebay, dyneema (sp.) fiber used for sail rigging lines originally, higher test than steel, lighter, and not nearly as dangerous, floats, and relatively cheap!

sewerzuk

Love the truck, yours almost got me to not bob my deuce, but after driving mine around town the length was just a bit to much. I have a series 18 as well, awesome winch, im using synthetic line I purchased off ebay, dyneema (sp.) fiber used for sail rigging lines originally, higher test than steel, lighter, and not nearly as dangerous, floats, and relatively cheap!
Thanks!

I am a REAL fan of synthetic winch line in rock buggies...but I have experienced problems with it in some of my rigs. UV damage, mud, sand, rocks, etc. all take their toll and I have had a couple of synthetic lines snap when I needed them. Granted, I haven't tried out all of the synthetic line available (I had a friend who worked for 4X4 Winch Lines at Winchline.com: Winch Line,Winch Ropes, Recovery Gear, Tow Rope, Synthetic Winch Line so that is where my synthetic lines came from) but my experience is that steel cable is more reliable for a longer period of time.

I really did almost spool the drum on my deuce with synthetic because the cable is SO heavy...but ultimately decided against it because of my past experiences. Let me know how yours works out...if it ends up being a good solution I'll pull my steel cable off in a heartbeat!

MrArmyAnt

Yeah my winch is being installed under the bed so UV shouldn't be as much of a problem, also if the synthetic breaks and you know how to do the weave it can be repaired in the field with nothing more than a broken writing pen. I'll keep you informed!

sewerzuk

grenade shifter knob

So...this is not really a big project, but I thought it was kinda cool so I figured I would put it up here. I have been looking for a good shift knob to replace the factory deuce one for a while. Nothing really jumped out at me until I saw an auction for a WWII surplus pineapple fragmentation grenade. I got it for $8 with shipping. It had a hole drilled in the bottom for demil, but was otherwise complete.
I simply filled the hole in the bottom with the welder, drilled and tapped it to match the shift arm's threads, and screwed it on. It looks pretty good...

edit: added more pics

Attachments

Last edited:

asgtoolman

To me, there is nothing more logical than a pineapple grenade for a shift knob!
BTW where did you find it? [Copying is the most sincere form of flattery]

sewerzuk

Ditch Baby

They did when I first mounted the bed (I didn't account for how much the bumpstops compressed) Since then I raised it a few inches. No contact anymore.
If I remember right, I read the bed was 53" off the ground, so its around 55ish now?

My deuce didn't come with a bed, planning on building one also after mounting XMLs.

Really like what you've done with your truck.

sewerzuk

If I remember right, I read the bed was 53" off the ground, so its around 55ish now?

My deuce didn't come with a bed, planning on building one also after mounting XMLs.

Really like what you've done with your truck.
I'm in Alaska right now and the truck is in OR...I can't remember if that was to the deck, underside, frame, etc. I'll take a new measurement when I get back...

sewerzuk

this afternoon I rescued an A3 that had a minor electrical fire about a mile down the road from my house. The owner couldn't have chosen a better spot to break down; he got the use of my truck and electrical skills and was only on the side of the road for a few minutes. All I can say is that I will NOT be putting a pushbutton light switch in MY deuce! That stupid little switch could easily have burned the A3 to the ground. I always glean a small amount of satisfaction by using my "old" truck to rescue a "new" truck!

Attachments

Last edited:

reloader64

Here in Texas, demilled grenades are available at most military surplus stores. I have a few, and I'm giving some very serious thought to using one for a shift knob. I like that!

Scott

13F10

Sewerzuk,

Now all you need is a surplus fuel tanker trailer, converted into a towable RV, with 53' XMLS on it. That way you can camp on the beach in a improvised shelter.

You'd have to keep the "hatch" though, cause that'd be like living in a sub and just too cool!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks