• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to make a comment here. First I would like to say that your work is amazing! I looked at the profile picture above and i think i would have kept the engine cover lower than the cab. I think the coolness of the Hemtt is the cab out there on it's own. If the engine cover was lower (like the cutout in the back of the cab), the cab would be accented better. If you make the engine cover profile the same height as the cab, the cab uniqueness gets lost. Then the truck just looks like an up-armored truck. I guess it depends what look you are trying too achieve.

I am not criticizing your work. I think it is a work of art. I wish I had that kind of talent! I am just making an observation that might be helpful. :driver:
Goldneagle, since the basis is the below truck, the doghouse should actually be that height... or not, it's his build, but normal HEMTTs have their doghouses that high.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to make a comment here. First I would like to say that your work is amazing! I looked at the profile picture above and i think i would have kept the engine cover lower than the cab. I think the coolness of the Hemtt is the cab out there on it's own. If the engine cover was lower (like the cutout in the back of the cab), the cab would be accented better. If you make the engine cover profile the same height as the cab, the cab uniqueness gets lost. Then the truck just looks like an up-armored truck. I guess it depends what look you are trying too achieve.

I am not criticizing your work. I think it is a work of art. I wish I had that kind of talent! I am just making an observation that might be helpful. :driver:
...but wouldn't lowering the engine cowling restrict any available space for "after-market options" such as an AFTERBURNER ?!?!?

:burn:

goldneagle

Goldneagle, since the basis is the below truck, the doghouse should actually be that height... or not, it's his build, but normal HEMTTs have their doghouses that high.

I was going by memory. I guess my memory isn't that good! Nice picture! I take my comment of lowering the doghouse back. But the compliments stay! :tank:

M920

You guys are too funny!!!! :popcorn:

Anyway, as pointed out the doghouse on HEMTTs is the hight of the cab top. I agree with the aesthetic advantage of a lower hood but the reason for the full high design is tha fact that it doubles as a ROPS. It would not be very effective if it was not full high.

I am looking for ideas on how to use the extra space under the hood, but above the engine. Obviously it needs to be somthing thats unaffected by heat!! :twisted:

Any ideas or suggestions....?

M920

Soni.......if you want to load the FEMTT up on the M920 and bring it to the GA Rally in Oct. I'd cover your chow for the duration. Your custom rigs would be the hit of the show.
Thanks for the nice invite and the tempting "bribe" Richard!!! I would love to attend and I will try and see if I can swing that somehow....let's keep talking!

M920

Soni, great work! It is a real pleasure watching this thing come together.

What do you plan on doing with the area where your fenders would have been (the area on each side of the engine)? You could do a really cool tool chest/cabinet on each side. In fact, you could hinge them at the top and they could fold up, gull wing style, out of the way for engine access. I tried to quickly sketch this out in the attached pictures.
Thanks for the great input and the illustrative sketches! I will definately try to figure out somthing along your idea. I will have to see though, just how much "real estate" will be left after things like the spare tire, the hydraulic reservoir, the air cleaner and the muffler/exhaust.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter

This is the first time I've seen that image in that high of a resolution - I never noticed until now that there is a LVS behind this truck.

goldneagle

Thanks for the great input and the illustrative sketches! I will definately try to figure out somthing along your idea. I will have to see though, just how much "real estate" will be left after things like the spare tire, the hydraulic reservoir, the air cleaner and the muffler/exhaust.
Maybe a barbeque above the engine. You can place the meat on the BBQ before you start on a trip an let the engine heat cook the meat. By the time you reach the destination the meat is ready to eat! (you did say to keep in mind the heat from the engine) :burn: :doghead:

Maybe a barbeque above the engine. You can place the meat on the BBQ before you start on a trip an let the engine heat cook the meat. By the time you reach the destination the meat is ready to eat! (you did say to keep in mind the heat from the engine) :burn: :doghead:

I think I saw Kramer do this in an episode of Seinfeld.

quickfarms

We used to cook lunch on the rear step of the asphalt paving machine using the heat from the hot asphalt piled on top of the lunch to cook it. Just remember to wrap the food very tightly in at least 3 layers of aluminum foil,

On another project we made BBQ grills out of natural gas pipe

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kind of difficult to get the scale and proportion right with available pics but I think above fender real estate is going to be sucked up by spare on one side and 'breathing' on other side.

Soni1.jpg Soni2.jpg

Right or Left spare subject to plumbing.

Could put the spare on the roof inplace of 50 cal ring??? Got the Kboom.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was a scout, we had a Scout Master I used to ride with when we went on hiking trips to the mountains of SC. He had me bring a steak once, and before we left the church, we made foil packs (steak, onions, potatos, green peppers, and a bunch of butter and salt, all rolled up in tin foil) and put one on each side of the big V8 in his 4x4. So when we got there (2.5hr later) me and him ate nicely cooked, very tender steak while everyone else unloaded the van and opened granola bars. HAHAHAHA!

Soni, I'd build a storage box up there, and then put a temporary remote temp sensor in so you can see just how hot it gets while driving. Would be a great place to store spare parts if it doesn't get too terribly hot.

M920

When I was a scout, we had a Scout Master I used to ride with when we went on hiking trips to the mountains of SC. He had me bring a steak once, and before we left the church, we made foil packs (steak, onions, potatos, green peppers, and a bunch of butter and salt, all rolled up in tin foil) and put one on each side of the big V8 in his 4x4. So when we got there (2.5hr later) me and him ate nicely cooked, very tender steak while everyone else unloaded the van and opened granola bars. HAHAHAHA!

Running steam locomotives for may years, the top of the boiler in the cab heated and cooked many great meals for my fireman and I on long trips across the mountain!!! :-D

Soni, I'd build a storage box up there, and then put a temporary remote temp sensor in so you can see just how hot it gets while driving. Would be a great place to store spare parts if it doesn't get too terribly hot.
A spare parts storage would be great up there! I will do just that and put a temp sensor in there, to see what kind of summer temps we are having to deal with. Thanks!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running steam locomotives for may years, the top of the boiler in the cab heated and cooked many great meals for my fireman and I on long trips across the mountain!!! :-D
A spare parts storage would be great up there! I will do just that and put a temp sensor in there, to see what kind of summer temps we are having to deal with. Thanks!
I've had a coal scoop breakfast, amazingly good!

Cool, I hope it works out!

M920

Kind of difficult to get the scale and proportion right with available pics but I think above fender real estate is going to be sucked up by spare on one side and 'breathing' on other side.

View attachment 417406 View attachment 417407

Right or Left spare subject to plumbing.

Could put the spare on the roof inplace of 50 cal ring??? Got the Kboom.
You are so good at this "computer picture thing".......I'm totally jealous!!!!!
I kind of have the spot for the spare picked out on the passenger side just far enough back to stay below the top silouette of the truck.
I am trying to keep the driver side free from any big "stuff", since the fender will be quick-diconnect. The air cleaner will probably be the only thing mounted on that side. this will also retain the use of the back window on the driver side. (not sure why that would be important)

Anyway, thanks for the great visuals!!!

goldneagle

Maybe you can put a sliding drawer or tray on the bottom portion for cooking (depending on the temperature inside) and insulate the top of it for storage above the cooking area.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are so good at this "computer picture thing".......I'm totally jealous!!!!!
Anyway, thanks for the great visuals!!!

REALLY! You have all this fabrication with new cabs and stuff and stuff and more stuff..... I think jealousy of a little computor graphic time is limited to you alone!!!

... but I am glad to assist with "the visuals"... :-D If you need 'visualising' with more parts of your truck - try - if possible, getting pictures of the seperate parts from the same angle and distance. Then cutting and pasteing is real easy.

Did you notice both pics were of the passenger side? All I did was flip it to make the "Left"...

NOW GET BACK TO THE GOOD STUFF YOU!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks