• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

M920

Well I know where there's a 939 series rolling chassis. It doesn't have an engine/trans though. I also see a few possibilities coming up for auction that might be a better candidate (actual 931's A2's exactly). Where did you come up with your cab? Would only the PLS cab work or would a HEMTT work as well? (I know they're different, but I'm wondering about the steering and cab tunnel)
A HEMTT cab would work for the build, but you can't beat the brand new Mk48 cabs! They make it feel and smell like a brand new truck! I got mine off of Ebay....Barstow sold like fifty of them not to long ago, so there are several available. Some members here on SS also mentioned that they had some.

The M931A2 would be a good choice I think....great fuel milage to!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What about the added weight on the front axle, both on this build and a 900 5t, seems like a lot of extra weight with the new cab hanging out in front.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What about the added weight on the front axle, both on this build and a 900 5t, seems like a lot of extra weight with the new cab hanging out in front.
What about the difference of a W/W and a WO/W truck? The axles/springs are still the same. But you've got 600+ lbs hanging 2ft forwards of the front bumper. I know my 931's hood isn't light either. I would think the swap of the cab up front for the hood would only be a little more than the weight of a W/W addition. (thinking about the 600lbs having an extra bit of leverage over the front axle since it's 2ft extended. (Fulcrum effect)

M920

That is a very good question! luckily the original cab on the M916 is a "TANK" and weighs almost a third more then the Mk48 cab. Also the stock hood and fenders weigh a ton, so by going aluminum, I'm going to save some weight there. The good news is that the M916 has a 20,000# front axle rating. I'm not sure until I weigh it of course, but I should be able to stay within a reasonable front axle load.

The 931 should be fine, as long as we stay with the stock HEMTT/Mk48 front bumper plate design and use aluminum where applicable.... but only time will tell of course........fat lady sings

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW , very impressive ! Not YOUR first Rodeo ! very nice welding and FAB work . Did you use a IRONWORKER to fab some of your parts ?. Do you do ROAD CALLS ? LOL . Good luck sir , can't wait to see the finished product , bob k

M920

This picture helps confirm that a single front axle configuration should be fine! Oshkosh apparently made this 6x6 HEMTT prototype in the early eighties. I doubt that they used a heavier axle, then the one used in the M916-M920 series trucks!

Also the "Baby HEMTT" I believe, is built on a 2 1/2 ton chassis, with the same cab weight.....

Attachments

srodocker

wonder why they stuck with 8x8 and not have some 6x6 ones?

i showed my wife your build and she was even amazed. shoot she even knew what cab you were using hehehe.

M920

wonder why they stuck with 8x8 and not have some 6x6 ones?

i showed my wife your build and she was even amazed. shoot she even knew what cab you were using hehehe.
Well....maybe, just maybe.... because the front axle was overloaded on the 6x6!!!!....LOL
Oh and...... I want a wife like that!!!!!

srodocker

oh my wife is a keeper she helped me paint my truck a few years ago. and doesnt really bother me if im out in the garage dinking off with projects as she knows its better then out chasing tail! hahahahah

plus she agreed it would be better to customize a 5 ton to a camper hauler then to buy a civi pickup :)

Ord22

Soni,
Great, Great job you've done so far! The work is top notch. You have one crazy imagination! You have out done yourself so far. Can't wait to see it done. I've read the whole thread and i'm impressed!! Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming. Be careful out there. Thanks!

M920

Sounds great Richard!...but....is it AIR-CONDITIONED I hope?!? You know how picky I am, when it comes to my "work environment"!!!! :roll:

goldneagle

Soni....if I could provide you with a couple of thousand square feet of indoor workspace for cheap would you consider a move out this way? I may have need for a master fabricator for a "skunkworks".
Just be aware that when Richard says Skunkworks he means with real live skunks! :doghead:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Sounds great Richard!...but....is it AIR-CONDITIONED I hope?!? You know how picky I am, when it comes to my "work environment"!!!!
It will be heated in the summer and cool in the winter.....but it will be indoors out of the elements......you won't have to wait for the snow to melt to continue the project.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soni, if you get tired of all that snow and cold and want a break, I have some "similar" fabricating that needs done here in SUNNY and 85 degree Florida. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks