• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

HanksDeuce

Soni, I got an idea for you. It's a wee bit overkill, but a good idea nonetheless. Load your dump bed up with presents and pass out the presents one by one with the FEMTT crane for the local Toys for Tots drive around Christmas time. Somebody might even get a motorcycle this year! :naner:

PureMayhem

I am fairly new to SS having joined last November but I have spent a lot of time on this forum read a lot of threads and just when I think there is nothing more to read, along comes one of these build threads that comes alive and I realize how much more information there is and how many more interesting threads I have to read. I found this thread this morning and went through the entire 83 pages without stopping. I have to say that M920 your work is incredible and your truck is amazing and so well done and I really enjoyed reading this build thread.

I have one question about your spare tire davit. Will you tell me about that hoist on the end. Is it off another MV or is it sold commercially or did you fab it?

M920

I am fairly new to SS having joined last November but I have spent a lot of time on this forum read a lot of threads and just when I think there is nothing more to read, along comes one of these build threads that comes alive and I realize how much more information there is and how many more interesting threads I have to read. I found this thread this morning and went through the entire 83 pages without stopping. I have to say that M920 your work is incredible and your truck is amazing and so well done and I really enjoyed reading this build thread.

I have one question about your spare tire davit. Will you tell me about that hoist on the end. Is it off another MV or is it sold commercially or did you fab it?

Sorry about the slow response!

I bought it off of ebay a few years back and do not know much about it.
It is made by a company by the name of "Kinematic" and is rated at 500 pounds.

No model or other specs.

Soni

M920

Conex Quick Connects Install

I know it has been a while since my last update on the FEMTT project, but I had a bunch of other things interfere in a bad way......:evil:

Anyway, I finally got a little time to install the Conex quick connect system, that will allow the fast exchange of different modules, on the back of the FEMTT.

As mentioned before, I started with the dump module since I have a driveway project to attend to.
There are a bunch of different types of weld on quick connects and after much research I opted for the type that can be tightened after turning the handle and that has a spring loaded locking bar.

Here are some pics from the recent installation.....

Soni

Attachments

M920

Rear Wheel Stud Fix FEMTT / M916

Since I had to take off the front rear wheels anyway in order to drill the holes for the front twist lock brackets, I decided to seize the opportunity and address the issue with the rear wheel studs being too short for the use with HEMTT wheels.
There are certainly several ways to deal with this problem, but I prefer using "fake" inner wheels made by cutting the wheel centers out from old wheels.

Since my lathe is not large enough to swing anything that size, I get them pretty smooth by mounting them on the hub and running the truck in first gear, while holding the grinder to them .....works like a champ!

I then use extended length Budd caps, that are made for the thicker aluminum wheels to attach the plates, that are used to 'fake' the inner wheels.
This now creates a set off nice long studs to mount my HEMTT wheels on to.

Here are a few pics:

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

M920

More about Wheel Nuts.....

Since I had to do some research on the different "Budd caps" (inner wheel nuts) that are available on the market, in order to find the most suitable style for the rear of the M916-M920 trucks, I figured I should share my findings with the board.

This should be of interest to anyone that is putting singles with HEMTT wheels on the rear of these trucks.

As I mentioned above, the issue is the fact that the original wheel studs are to short for this conversion and the single style wheel nuts will not engage more then about 5/8 of am inch of thread. This is not acceptable and dangerous!

One option I have seen, is to just only use the extra long inner nuts (Budd caps) that are used with aluminum wheels. I personally do not like to use the "inners" by themselves. They have a very narrow tapered lip that is not intended to hold the wheel on without an outer wheel and a larger outer wheel nut against it.

This is why I use the system with the "blind" inner wheel as described in the previous thread. In addition it gives me a little extra track on the rear, making the difference between the rear axles and the front axle less pronounced.

It is very important though to use the 'Budd caps' that are best suited for this specific application.

Here are some pics of the different Budd caps that I have found:

-The shortest one on the left is a stock inner wheel nut as used on most dual steel wheel applications.

-The next one over to the right is an extended 'inner' that is only longer on the outside threads and is intended for applications where an inner steel wheel is combined with an outer aluminum wheel.

-Next to it is a 'inner' that is used with dual aluminum wheels but standard lengh inner threads.

-And finally, on the right is the one that I use and recommend for the HEMTT wheels. It has the extended length on the outside threads and it has FULL LENGTH TREADS on the inside, to catch as much of the factory wheel studs as possible.

One more thing: Any of the 'inners', that have the extra shoulder on the inside of the taper, can only be used with a 'blind' inner wheel plate that is 5/8" or thicker. If the plates are thinner then that, I recommend the use of the 'steel inner / aluminum outer' style 'Budd caps' (second from the left in the pic).

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

M920

Final Touches on the 'Dump Module'

So the first 'module' for the FEMTT is finally nearing completion! [thumbzup]

I got the bed shortened by 20", to make it fit the cargo area of the FEMTT. What a pain in the but!!!
And yesterday I made the new front guide plates, that keep the bed centered on the frame when lowered.
I added a hole on each side, that takes a clevis and serves as a locking device. This is needed to keep the lower frame attached to the bed when the 'dump module' is set off with the crane.

I then welded in the D-rings for the quick-connect slings.

So all I got left to do now is to lift the 'module' back off, fix some damage on the front of the bed, fabricate a new headache rack and paint the whole thing tan!

Some pics from yesterdays work:

Soni

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anxiously awaiting the feature article on this truck in the next issue of Four Wheeler!

Well, why not? All your other creations got featured there! :)

M920

Are you using the crane to lift the dump bed ?
Yes! As a matter of fact I just got the slings in today, that will be dedicated to lifting the 'modules' on and off the FEMTT.

I needed to flip the dump bed over to finish some of the welding on the underside from where I shortened it and to finish the bottom welds on the ISO corner castings.

Here are some pics of the lift today. The 'dump module" is surprisingly easy to set on and off and can be guided on to the quick lock pins, using my left hand, while operating the cranes controls with my right.

The 'fifth wheel module' and the 1200 gallon 'tank module' are next......

Soni

Attachments

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes! As a matter of fact I just got the slings in today, that will be dedicated to lifting the 'modules' on and off the FEMTT.

I needed to flip the dump bed over to finish some of the welding on the underside from where I shortened it and to finish the bottom welds on the ISO corner castings.

Here are some pics of the lift today. The 'dump module" is surprisingly easy to set on and off and can be guided on to the quick lock pins, using my left hand, while operating the cranes controls with my right.

The 'fifth wheel module' and the 1200 gallon 'tank module' are next......

Soni

Very cool, very clean idea. Good job!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dude, that is an awesome setup. amazing at the interchange-ability of your systems. I think I need to hire you and send you to the Loggy HQ to show how we can REALLY make these systems truly modular!

M920

Are you using the crane to lift the dump bed ?
Thanks everyone for the nice compliments! I am getting pretty excited myself about the way this project is working out!

R Racing, I'm sorry but I think I just realized that you actually asked me if I was using the crane to DUMP the dump bed, not how to set it on and off, right?

This bed is all self contained and hydraulic. It will tie into the FEMTT's wet kit via hydraulic quick couplers. So no, it dumps using two hydraulic cylinders.

Soni

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks