• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

mahdey

Just a couple of quick pics that show the hydraulic cylinder arrangement under the USMC 7 ton MTVR dump bed.

I'm getting ready to paint the underside today. after that I will be turning it back over and painting the top side as well.

Soni

How does one get a 7 ton?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck finding one, all you can get as far as I know is parts and residue.....They are cool trucks though!

Soni
When you own a bunch of Oshkosh HETs, cabs and snowblowers, Oshkosh sends you a MTVR. Buy 8 get 1 free.

Didn't you put in the request for yours?

Last edited:

M920

Dump Bed Control Valve

Today, I was working on the hydraulic system for the dump bed module. I fabricated a bracket to install the cable controlled remote unit for the dump valve, in the cab, next to the transfer case shifter.
Since the actual hydraulic valve will be farther away from the shifter then the control cable I have will reach, I will now have to order a longer cable.

I did get the air operated cylinder for the tail gate lock in today and it actually fits! I guess miracles DO happen.....:roll:

Tomorrow, I should get the hydraulic fittings in from NAPA to get most of the plumbing hooked up. I can't wait to see it dump hydraulically.....

Here are some pics....

Soni

Attachments

M920

Self Recovery Winch

Since I'm still waiting for the remaining hoses and fittings to finish up the hydraulic system for the dump bed, I decided to start on the installation of the DP 20,000# self recovery winch.
It will be mounted to the right side of the frame, just behind the crane. I will fabricate cable guides and fairleads so that the cable can be routed out the front or out the rear of the FEMTT. :)

After doing some preliminary measuring I realized that it needed to be modified in order to not get to close to the rear tire.....oh well.....

Here is a pic of it....

Soni

Attachments

R Racing

You get all the fun projects lol I spent the day cutting down damaged and fallen trees from a tornado that came thru here a few weeks back. Now you got me wanting to put a crane and a bed on my m920 lol. I guess I can dream.

M920

You get all the fun projects lol I spent the day cutting down damaged and fallen trees from a tornado that came thru here a few weeks back. Now you got me wanting to put a crane and a bed on my m920 lol. I guess I can dream.
I'm telling you.....once you install a crane on your truck.....you can't figure out, how you ever got around without one!!!! 8)

Soni

Last edited:

M920

More Self Recovery Winch.....

I'm currently very busy with customer projects, so progress is a bit slow since my 'FEMTT time' is limited to the evenings.

Today, I was able to install the front mount of the 20,000# DP winch to the frame. This was not as easy as I had hoped.
In order to keep adequate clearance to the rear tire, I had to mount the front winch bracket as far forward as possible. This meant, that I had to integrate the bracket in to the crane's mounting base!
After a lot of cutting, grinding, drilling and shimming I finally got it all mounted, welded, bolted and painted.
Next, I will bolt the rest of the winch back on to the front bracket. This will allow me to mark the holes in the frame rail for the rear mount. It will need a 3/8" shim plate in order to align with the 3/8" crane base, that I had to weld the front on top of.

This 3/8" spacer/adapter plate will also be necessary, in order to miss a frame cross member, that had the audacity to be exactly in the way of the winch brackets original mounting holes....one could not plan this kind of crap if he wanted to!!!! :roll:

The other pic is of the new bracket that enables me to finally get rid of the pair of Vise Grips, that had to be clamped to the auxiliary hydraulic port lever, in order to run the crane's hydraulic system!

I know this is pretty silly, but this little improvement is actually very exciting to me!
My thanks go to my friend Fabian for fabing it up!

Soni

Sorry for the mixed up pics....I always load them in sequence but then they get all scrambled when they post....any suggestions from the experts?

Attachments

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

Sorry for the mixed up pics....I always load them in sequence but then they get all scrambled when they post....any suggestions from the experts?
Soni,

When you add all of the pictures sometimes it does rearrange them. You can drag and drop the pictures into the right order under the Attachments section. Always preview your post before clicking the post reply button.

M920

Soni,

When you add all of the pictures sometimes it does rearrange them. You can drag and drop the pictures into the right order under the Attachments section. Always preview your post before clicking the post reply button.
Thanks! I will certainly try that.....I did not realized, that you can still drag and drop them, once they are in the attachment section.

Soni

M920

More Winch and Dump Bed Stuff.....

Not as much progress tonight as had I wanted, but I got the winch mounted to the front bracket and got the valve for the dump bed bolted to it's new mount.

Tomorrow I will start with making the hoses to get the hydraulics for the bed all hooked up.

Here are a couple of pics from today....

Soni

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck will be one of the most capable off road machines ANYWHERE! I don't know if you have been told this, especially here, but that is DARN AMAZING!!! :not worthy: (ROFLMAO!) Love the "Scorpion" emblem painted on!

God bless,
Tony

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome Soni !!!! I don't know how you do it , but that is one sweet ride !!!!:goodjob: bob k

M920

Still Missing More Hydraulic Fittings..... :(

Thanks guys! I'm really amazed/glad to see that some of you are still interested in my long drawn out project!
Sometimes I do wonder if I go to far in to the details and might bore people....

Anyway, it helps me to be able to post progress....even if it is just a tiny step at a time in the big picture. Having this thread keeps me focused on the final goal....even if it seems like it is not coming any closer sometimes.....:grd:

Speaking of progress....or the lack there of;
I mounted the three way, two position selector valve next to the dump valve today.
It will allow me to direct the hydraulic pressure from the 'Aux. Port' to either the knuckle boom crane or the dump bed's hydraulics.
I also got the first hose on....unfortunately that was all I could install today.

I'm supposed to get everything I'm missing to complete the system tomorrow....well, I'm not holding my breath....

Soni

P.S. It is plum crazy what the military pays for this stuff! Over $7500.00 for this little winch.....:shock:

Attachments

Last edited:
I know this is pretty silly, but this little improvement is actually very exciting to me!
My thanks go to my friend Fabian for fabing it up!
Exactly! Sometimes the smallest innovation that solves an issue. Creativity in problem solving at it's best!

Soni, Two of the traits I admire in you are your creative problem solving and attention to detail. It is not surprising that you attract like minded people to your side.

Fabian the Fabulous Fabber .... Sweet Job!

Best Regards
Rick

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks