• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well....at this point it is more like a 5 ton.....there are about 2 tons of stuff missing off of it...lol

Sadly it's 7 ton residue only, it is wrecked and badly cannibalized.....they are great trucks though....Maybe some day we can buy them....

Soni
But is there enough there for YOU to bring it back from the dead? ;)

M920

But is there enough there for YOU to bring it back from the dead? ;)
As you know, there is always a way.....but this one was in a bad rollover.....there is suspension damage and the frame is bent....

Being, that parts are almost impossible to find for these trucks.....it would be very difficult.... :(

Soni

rickf

That is what I thought, but I was told that AW-46 hydraulic fluid is designed to "SUSPEND" water. Do you, or anybody here know if this type of fluid will still let the water settle to the bottom, if you let it sit long enough?
Just wondering.....

Soni
Don't know about the AW-46 rating. I would just let it sit in a spot where the temp is fairly stable, like in a shaded area and see what it looks like in a month. I think that rating means it will stay suspended while in use. At the bottom of your tank in one of those pictures it looked like a puddle of water in with the milkshake, that would lead me to believe that it had separated in the tank.

M920

I was this close to getting a mk15 yesterday and could have built a really nice trailer out of it using my m920 as the hauler. Maybe next time :-(
Define "this close"......lol

So would you have used it as a tow behind wrecker? The Mk15 is the wrecker RBU right?

Soni

M920

By $100.00 no I was going to put a pintal on it and tow it behind my m920 and use its hydraulics to power the knuckle boom. Does that make sence ?
Oh yes....did that for about a year and a half with my Mk17 and the M916.....before I turned it all in to the FEMTT..... :)

Soni

M920

The Last of the Hydraulics.....

Today I'm happy to report, that I finally got all the hydraulic systems on the FEMTT side buttoned up!:roll:

I ran the last two missing hoses (1" hydraulic hoses SUCK, if you try to fish them trough a bunch of tight spaces by yourself....results in lots of "NAVY talk"!!!!) from the control console to the quick connect fitting bracket, under the left outrigger of the MHC.

These are the big ones that will run the DP drag winch on the front of the 'fifth wheel module'. They are controlled from the original M916 winch control valves and will still have the hi-lo speed selection available.

This concludes the modifications to the FEMTT's hydraulic system and the only other hydraulic hoses I have to install are on the module side. THANK GOD!!!!

I got my new Truck Lite LED headlights installed a couple of days ago and had a chance try them tonight.

All I can say is: They truly are amazing! I really like it that low-beam does not turn of when hi-beam is selected and I can see so much farther ahead then before!

With the FEMTT's top speed of 80 MPH+ and all the wildlife around here these will be a big improvement over stock.
Also, these are the second generation of Truck Lite's LED head lights and they are now uni-voltage. So no difference in part numbers and they work on any voltage from 10V to 30V!

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Today I'm happy to report, that I finally got all the hydraulic systems on the FEMTT side buttoned up!:roll:

I ran the last two missing hoses (1" hydraulic hoses SUCK, if you try to fish them trough a bunch of tight spaces by yourself....results in lots of "NAVY talk"!!!!) from the control console to the quick connect fitting bracket, under the left outrigger of the MHC.

These are the big ones that will run the DP drag winch on the front of the 'fifth wheel module'. They are controlled from the original M916 winch control valves and will still have the hi-lo speed selection available.

This concludes the modifications to the FEMTT's hydraulic system and the only other hydraulic hoses I have to install are on the module side. THANK GOD!!!!

I got my new Truck Lite LED headlights installed a couple of days ago and had a chance try them tonight.

All I can say is: They truly are amazing! I really like it that low-beam does not turn of when hi-beam is selected and I can see so much farther ahead then before!

With the FEMTT's top speed of 80 MPH+ and all the wildlife around here these will be a big improvement over stock.
Also, these are the second generation of Truck Lite's LED head lights and they are now uni-voltage. So no difference in part numbers and they work on any voltage from 10V to 30V!

Soni

FLIR makes a civilian vehicles camera and display system. I forget the part number, we looked at doin them on some clients trucks. Pretty cool stuff.

M920

Suuuure...
So just to be clear: It was really just the HYDRAULIC SYSTEM of the FEMTT, that I THOUGHT was done, NOT THE WHOLE FEMTT PROJECT!!!!

But unfortunately you are right anyway.....I ALREADY FOUND ANOTHER HOSE THAT IS NEEDED AND I FORGOT TO RUN....

Well, I guess that is what I get for making silly statements like that......:burn:

Soni

Last edited:

M920

I'm I Finally a REDNECK? :)

Well, I had a busy weekend and got a lot of stuff done on the FEMTT modules!

I'm working on three different modules right now:

-On the 'dump bed module': I cut the damaged front wall out and built a new upper section (head ache rack), that matches the height and contour of the FEMTT's cab.

-On the 'flat bed module'; I got everything situated and tested. (see Scorpion loaded on to the back of the FEMTT. I wanted to make sure I could haul my "Four-Wheeler" in the back of my "Pick-Up"....Btw....does this finally qualify me to be a true REDNECK ?!?)
:naner:

Now I'm ready to take the Flatbed back off and weld everything in place.
This module will get a custom head ache rack as well. It will have stowage for chains, boomers and ratchet tie-downs built in to it.

-On the 1200 gallon 'tank module' the hardest part was to get it out from behind a bunch of "stuff" that has accumulated in front of it. It also lacked any usable lifting points!
I rectified that situation as soon as I got it near the welder. It sports four brand new, heavy duty lifting points now that are strong enough to lift the tank even when full of water!

Here are some pics:

Soni

P.S. I got the cable on the self recovery winch as well.....

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see a tracked vehicle in the background of pic #8, looks like a cargo carrier of some sort - got any details or closer pics of that unit?

Your work is, as always, outstanding!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Any critter that walks out in front of that vehicle is going to be on the menu at the "Road Kill Grill".:burn:

I can see right now I'm going to have to make a pilgrimage out to New Mexico to study at the feet of the "Green Iron Fabmaster".

I just wonder what you could build if you had an indoor shop and didn't have to dodge Mother Nature.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks