• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

serial14

Soni, where did you source those black tie down points on the side of the dump module? They look similar to things I've seen on MTVR beds. I think they'd work really well on several trailer projects I have in the works.

Excellent fab work. I find it very inspirational for my own projects and getting out and doing something. keep it up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure it was 85 or 86 Soni. All the years blend together. Next question, did you also have one of the Scorpions at Gravelrama? I remember such a vehicle and it had composite lights, kinda makes me think of you.

M920

Pretty sure it was 85 or 86 Soni. All the years blend together. Next question, did you also have one of the Scorpions at Gravelrama? I remember such a vehicle and it had composite lights, kinda makes me think of you.
No, have never been to Gravelrama.....but I'm sure there have been a Scorpion or two there over the years....

Soni

M920

Air Ride Seats for the FEMTT!

So after a recent 220 mile round trip to Santa Fe and back in the FEMTT, I decided to go ahead and do the air ride seat conversion, that I had planed on for some time.

The biggest hurdle I faced, was that the Bostrom 915T seat bases did not in any way fit in to the location, that they needed to be installed in to, in the FEMTT's cab.

After cutting a triangular section out of the rear bottom of the seat bases and adding brackets to pick up the original mounting holes in the floor of the MK48 cab, I finally got them 'squeezed' in to place and securely fastened.

What a great improvement that made though!!!! Air seats sure ROCK!:driver:

Here are some pics:

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:

goldneagle

So after a recent 220 mile round trip to Santa Fe and back in the FEMTT, I decided to go ahead and do the air ride seat conversion, that I had planed on for some time.

The biggest hurdle I faced, was that the Bostrom 915T seat bases did not in any way fit in to the location, that they needed to be installed in to, in the FEMTT's cab.

After cutting a triangular section out of the rear bottom of the seat bases and adding brackets to pick up the original mounting holes in the floor of the MK48 cab, I finally got them 'squeezed' in to place and securely fastened.

What a great improvement that made though!!!! Air seats sure ROCK!:driver:

Here are some pics:

Soni
Yes they do ROCK. I have an air ride seat in all my keeper trucks. Comfy ride and keeps the gut off the steering wheel.

All your work looks factory. Very professional!

M920

Yes they do ROCK. I have an air ride seat in all my keeper trucks. Comfy ride and keeps the gut off the steering wheel.

All your work looks factory. Very professional!
Thank you goldneagle! That is a big compliment coming from a master fabricator like yourself!

I did notice, that for the use in military trucks, the Bostrom air ride seat bases work great because they have an additional front to back movement, that cuts down on a lot of the back rest jolts, normally experienced in our tall trucks.

Not sure if any other manufacturers offer that feature, but it sure is great to have!

Soni

Last edited:

Hoefler

I have over 30 years experience in the design and manufacture of industrial food process and chemical process equipment and systems. With this I am more than qualified to give a thumbs up on Soni design and fabrication skills. His work looks elegant and clean-not cluttery-nice proportions and clean in delivery. Keep posting detail pictures-most of us enjoy looking at workmanship.
This leads me to a quote by a famous French Engineer-one I constantly remind (scold, yell and torque on) my crew of:
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.Antoine de Saint-Exupery

M920

Thank you Sir! You guys are really going to give me the big head!

I do really believe in your quote of Antoine de Saint-Exupery and I try to adhere to it wherever I can. Not that I'm achieving "perfection", but I will always strive for it.....lol

Soni

M920

The FEMTT Finally Gets A Toolbox!

I finally got one of the two tool boxes mounted on the FEMTT! It was getting pretty old to keep all the slings and straps in the passenger side floor board!

For mounting it, I opted for fabricating a bracket that I welded to the left side of the crane mount.
Since I like to keep a clean look, I made all the reinforcements to go on the inside of the box.

The highlight of the day though, was clearly the installation of the original Oshkosh "caution plate" that I stumbled across on ebay!

This is truly just a freak coincidence, but apparently the selector valve on a HEMTT with crane and self recovery winch, has this (see last photo) instructional caution plate mounted next to it.
It just so happens, that the push-pull selector valve knob on the FEMTT has the same functions, as it does on the HEMTT!

So of course I bought it and installed it by the selector valve on the FEMTT. It gives it that “factory look” I think.....lol

Soni

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am AMAZED that you are STILL finding room on the truck to mount things, you almost need a road map just to find your way around, You do not have to worry about the truck getting stolen and used because it way to busy for a common thief to comprehend.

M920

Soni, how much weight do you think you've added aside from the obvious "modules"?
The current chassis "curb weight" (all fluids topped off, full of fuel and including the driver) of the FEMTT without a module, is 32,760 pounds. This increase is mostly due to the very heavy knuckle boom crane!

The M916 chassis is rated at a GVWR of 56,000 pounds. So that leaves me with a payload of roughly 10 tons. This is adequate for what I use it for.....

Soni

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I need to weigh my SEMTT to see how much it's changed. I'm guessing my crane added at least 3000lbs.

M920

Inside The FEMTT Toolbox....

Here are the promised pics of the "top secret" inside of the FEMTT toolbox....lol

I do use a product called 'Dry-Deck' that consists of interlocking 12" squares, as the bottom liner in all my toolboxes now. It keeps things from sliding around without trapping moisture beneath.

Soni

Attachments

ke5eua

Soni I need to contract you to build me an awesome truck.

Really though, your truck is amazing.

Next time I'm in nm I will have to see that thing up close. I still think you are working on a prototype for Oshkosh.

FullSpecial

Soni I submit that you name your truck Honey Badger.

Honey Badger don't give a **** what you throw at it, Honey Badger has a module for that.

Honey Badger is bad ***!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks