• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison M916 + Mk48 Cab = 6x6 "FEMTT"

Expendable

Wow, just read through this whole thread! Amazing Fab work! Thanks for sharing the progress!

Hope you keep working on her and sharing your awesome work!

M920

Finally.....The FEMTT "Fifth Wheel Module"........

An UPDATE huh....? Lol....well I apologize for my lack of activity here on this wonderful site, but work got crazy and took the better part of my summer!!

I have made some progress though. I need the FEMTT as a truck tractor, to haul the tender of a steam locomotive, that I'm moving this month.
So fueled by sheer necessity, I got the fifth wheel module almost completed!

I'm to tired to type a long description tonight, but I'll start with a few pics of the build:

Soni

Attachments

agazza2

Excellent fabrication Soni. This module is a great addition to the other modules you have already built. Whenever your work gets slow, you could be making money just building modules for SS members. Oshkosh, BAE, AM General, and others should have used your ideas a long time ago to make one truck more versatile.

M920

A Few More Details

Thanks guys for posting all the nice comments! I'm always surprised how many people still follow this thread....even when I sometimes don't update it for several month!!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

So I thought I post a few more details about the 'Fifth Wheel Module'.

The fifth wheel I used for this module, is actually the one that came on the donor M916. It has two interchangeable top plates; One that accepts a 2" kingpin and one that is used for trailers with 3.5" kingpins.

I decided to substitute the original M916 45,000 pound DP winch with a 55,000 pound DP winch off of an M1070 HET. Other then the larger capacity, the fact that the HET winch has a pneumatically controlled free spool clutch, was a deciding factor for the choice.
By utilizing the hydraulic 'Hi' 'Lo' speed lever of the original M916 hydraulic system and using the electric 'Hi' 'Lo' speed solenoid from the HET setup, I now have 4 different speeds to choose from!

To make the deployment of the heavy 1" main winch cable more efficient, I mounted the 3000 pound pony winch from the HET system, piggy back on the main winch.

Pic (1) The FEMTT with the full 5000 gallon water tanker trailer at the top of 10,015 foot Cumbres Pass.

Pic (2) The FEMTT sporting the finished 'Fifth Wheel Module', with the pony winch installed.

Pic (3) A close up of the left side of the winch setup, showing the mount for the pony winch.

Pic (4) The left side with all the air, electrical and hydraulic connections. The hydraulic control valve, in the center of the picture, is for the pony winch.

Pic (5) This detail shows how the module slides under a set of lugs on the back of the crane. This prevents the module from flexing up under heavy winch pull.

Pic (6) This is a close up of the lugs that hook behind the original fifth wheel mounting angles. This arrangement prevents the fifth wheel module from sliding back or sidways. It takes the stresses of the twist lock devices.

Pic (7) Here is a good view of the overall arrangement with the two winches and the pogo stick for the air brake hoses.

Soni

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks