• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allow me to introduce myself

craig 379

Hey hello ssgtcampbell77, HOWEY, and everyone else who has obviously and kindly checking in to read my post! You's were obviously checking whilst I've been writing. To answer your question ssgtcampbell77, we have a magazine over here, and across there in Ireland i suppose too HOWEY, called "Classic American", where a guy in the south of the country was advertising a lot of Military vehicles for sale. Basically, he would buy all kinds of American Military vehicles from the auctions they have at the various bases, and sell them on to people like us! I've always been interested in American cars, as my uncle has always owned them, and although I've had other American cars over the years, i was really wanting something tough, and four wheel drive when this guy had these trucks advertised. A couple of weeks later, we were driving it away!

craig 379

I have checked all the fuseable links that I'm aware of, and all connections everywhere are good. I know the batteries are good, though i should mention that after the original batteries became to poor for reliable use, i replaced them with a pair of almost new 535 cca batteries which although i know they are not of the same capacity, i used out of financial reasons, as i got these given. I'm of the opinion now that the trouble is not with the alternator itself, but something else in the system which isn't working correctly, and causing the alternator to fail. However, I'm not sure what components are in the charging systems design, or where on the truck to look for these components to check them.

Bighurt

Follow SW's advice and download and read the TM's. Not having a CUCV I read up a little and suggest you do the same. My reply was only the tip of the iceberg of common problems. The TM's go very deep into troubleshooting and checking even the smallest component.

I'll give the army that their TM's are far easier to understand than the AF's ones. In some cases following the tech data as written in an AF TO would result in a failed operation for quality assurance.

craig 379

I've checked that link out, and it really is quite comprehensive! I'll have to study that technical data more closely soon, it may well prove helpful.

Bighurt

Most people think the CUCV's biggest issue is the electrical system. While there are known issues the biggest problem and this is really across the board with vehicles in general is people properly educating themselves on the vehicle. Most people consider a home electrical panel to be complicated and then expect to fully understand the wiring harness of a vehicle once they open the hood. It's just not that easy.

If you look at it this way. The soldier in the army doesn't pull up SS to ask a question on how to do something he opens the technical manual. Sure people here have been down your road but from the sounds of the repairs you've had done something is elusive. TM's are written so that the problem is found. They should be your first source of info. Once you get stuck then turn to SS for a helping hand.

You can only do so much TS over the web...

I hope you take this as a helping hand and not personnel attack. When it comes to electrical stuff a meter is your first assistant, and the TM outlines that in depth.

Best of Luck.

lacoda56

Bighurt

Just wanted to say that I have a kid that just got discharged from the army that actually used steelsoldiers technical manuals to work on the older vehicles in her unit (800 series wrecker and M35a3 cargo trucks) because it was faster than going through channels. The older paper manuals were long gone before it was realized they still had a few of the old trucks in use. Go figure!

Bighurt

Bighurt

Just wanted to say that I have a kid that just got discharged from the army that actually used steelsoldiers technical manuals to work on the older vehicles in her unit (800 series wrecker and M35a3 cargo trucks) because it was faster than going through channels. The older paper manuals were long gone before it was realized they still had a few of the old trucks in use. Go figure!

Actually I was comparing the forum to the TM's, I didn't specify where the manuals came from. My point was and to use your example, she didn't post how do I change a light bulb, she downloaded the TM and looked it up. She found not only the procedure to do the task but the replacement parts required and potential consumables for the task. For more in depth than a typical SS answer. Not to say the forum doesn't provide insight but IMO the TM should be the first option. Rather than post in the forum the question and get told to look it up in the TM.

craig 379

Having now got that link for those very useful TM's, I'm starting to carefully read them, looking for anything that might point to the cause of my charging issues. As one of the guys here said, it's probably the best way to start. I suppose i was just hoping that perhaps there was some common fault with these trucks and someone would tell me that it was a common problem, and all I'd have to do is replace this or that relay. However, i suppose all vehicles are individual and have there own individual troubles. Oh and also, I've got a reasonably good photo of my truck on my computer that I'm trying to use as my avatar, but not being very good with computers, I'll probably not be able to show yous it! Here's hoping!

Last edited:

craig 379

Having now got that link for those very useful TM's, I'm starting to carefully read them, looking for anything that might point to the cause of my charging issues. As one of the guys here said, it's probably the best way to start. I suppose i was just hoping that perhaps there was some common fault with these trucks and someone would say " hey, I've had that happen to mine - there's a relay on the bulk head that needs to be replaced and that corrects the issue" However, i suppose all vehicles are individual and have there own individual troubles. Oh and also, I've got a reasonably good photo of my truck on my computer that I'm trying to use as my avatar, but not being very good with computers, I'll probably not be able to show yous it! Here's hoping!

NICK_M1009

Having now got that link for those very useful TM's, I'm starting to carefully read them, looking for anything that might point to the cause of my charging issues. As one of the guys here said, it's probably the best way to start. I suppose i was just hoping that perhaps there was some common fault with these trucks and someone would tell me that it was a common problem, and all I'd have to do is replace this or that relay. However, i suppose all vehicles are individual and have there own individual troubles. Oh and also, I've got a reasonably good photo of my truck on my computer that I'm trying to use as my avatar, but not being very good with computers, I'll probably not be able to show yous it! Here's hoping!
Having now got that link for those very useful TM's, I'm starting to carefully read them, looking for anything that might point to the cause of my charging issues. As one of the guys here said, it's probably the best way to start. I suppose i was just hoping that perhaps there was some common fault with these trucks and someone would say " hey, I've had that happen to mine - there's a relay on the bulk head that needs to be replaced and that corrects the issue" However, i suppose all vehicles are individual and have there own individual troubles. Oh and also, I've got a reasonably good photo of my truck on my computer that I'm trying to use as my avatar, but not being very good with computers, I'll probably not be able to show yous it! Here's hoping!
Hmmmm....

Welcome Craig.

emr

1st post was to say hello, albeit wrong forum for that. 2nd post was to kindly thank those who had welcomed him, but it was too late to post in depth his problem. If his 3rd post doesnt contain his problem, go ahead flame away. Otherwise maybe we could not assume every new guy is a troll. For every actual troll that does pop up , there must be 100 who probably werent and never came back because his/her question wasnt exactly the way you thought it should be and was flammed for it.2cents
I politely disagree, I think the noobs need a goose up front, It separates the men from the boys in my mind. people that thin skinned need to be aware of what these trucks really are, and I believe if the "hey read up first and get back to us"makes em leave they were not at all serious in the first place...and from a site that has been around as long as this one and has as much info as this site does, It is just stating a fact, it just makes sense to read up first and get back to us with some better questions, or fill in the blanks on what they are missing, and I also think it is a little rude to want to be the special one with the : hey im new and do not want to do any work for my answers...... and as for it being a 100 to one with the troll issue, would have to have some facts.. just sayin... the guys who say, hey i have been lurking and learned alot, i now still have a few questions deserve a lot of credit for not coming in like a 16 year old, and I respect em for it... :) the silly questions need the ... :deadhorse: :)

rickf

Just because there was one a**hole in the CUCV section does not mean every new guy is going to be him. Cut the guy some slack until he proves otherwise, what is the harm in that? Is this a site for information or is it a military operation where it is by the book or else? I suppose all of the people on here that jump to say read the manual before offering any advice did just that when they started, they did not ask any questions, just went straight to the manual. Horse crap! We all started out asking questions. I read the manuals and then also asked questions so I could get a feel from people who had been there and done that. I have been a certified master mechanic for 40+ years and I still do not know everything. Never will. Some may think they do but they don't. Don't be so paranoid about Nvrescue, he will get what is coming to him. If he does show up here I am sure the mods will pick up on it in a hurry. If you suspect then send them a pm but don't flame a newbie from the very introduction. He probably will not have a clue why he is being treated that way.

Rick

hole

I politely disagree, I think the noobs need a goose up front, It separates the men from the boys in my mind. people that thin skinned need to be aware of what these trucks really are, and I believe if the "hey read up first and get back to us"makes em leave they were not at all serious in the first place...and from a site that has been around as long as this one and has as much info as this site does, It is just stating a fact, it just makes sense to read up first and get back to us with some better questions, or fill in the blanks on what they are missing, and I also think it is a little rude to want to be the special one with the : hey im new and do not want to do any work for my answers...... and as for it being a 100 to one with the troll issue, would have to have some facts.. just sayin... the guys who say, hey i have been lurking and learned alot, i now still have a few questions deserve a lot of credit for not coming in like a 16 year old, and I respect em for it... :) the silly questions need the ... :deadhorse: :)
I agree with you,"read up first and get back to us" shouldnt make anyone bolt. Maybe I didnt word it correctly. You've been here longer than myself and have probably seen it all before. I get the frustration of newbs wanting all the answers on their 1st post, I just think showing them some respect would go further to promote growth and interest in the hobby. Maybe I'm wrong

craig 379

Hello rickf, westechs_wifey, HOWEY, and all the latest people to offer a warm welcome, to someone who only wanted to ask a question about a subject that i thought most of the people on here would know more about than me. rickf - i have never met you, but you sound like the kind of person i would generally gravitate towards. You sound like a fellow i work with, and whom i consider about my closest friend, and has been doing his job for long enough to teach a few people a thing or two, but always claims he knows no more than anyone else, and like yourself, claims he is still learning yet. I'd never claim to be, but would like to consider myself to be this type of person also. I thought that rather than read through page after page of information, it would be worth asking if anyone else has ever had the same issue, and could maybe just tell me what the trouble may be. It seemed the easiest and most sensible option to me. Do people really think that I've not made every effort to seek advice elsewhere and mend the problem myself already? And from what i can gather of this former member who was obviously a bit of a bad apple, and whom i get the impression was writing post after post about things that were totally irrelevant to the site, well, could it not just be, that by spending as much time as some of the members are, trying to work out what kind of person i may or may not be, instead of trying to help someone out - are they not themselves a bit like this person they all are claiming is some kind of loony? As one of the other members already said - it's no wonder people who join this forum for advice would be reluctant to bother with it again. Had i known it was going to cause so much of an issue for some people, i wouldn't have joined at all. Craig.

Last edited:

DonK

Welcome....newb.....when I first got my M1109, the Battery hold downs were shorting the Batteries due to corrosion. Not good,check that. So I removed both and replaced with Optima Blue Tops and placed them on the rear rack. No trouble since...If you find no trouble there, replace the battery(s). You've checked/repaired the charging system. So, other than a loose connection, what else could it be?...other than the overlay. That's a whole nother story...Good Luck:beer:

craig 379

Hello DonK, as it happens, my batteries are set the same way as yours now - both on the rear tray - and there is definitely no shorting going on there. Due to everything I've checked, i can only repeat what you said - what else could it be! I've never heard of this overlay thing you talk about though........

DonK

The overlay is on the back of the instrument cluster. Now that I think about it a little more, that wouldn't effect your Charge reading assuming that your gauge is separate from the instrument cluster. Forget that unless someone tells us different...Still sound like a loose connection to me from what i've found with my M1009. I'm new to the MV thing, but can fix anything:)...my daughter calls me a Renaissance Man...WTF's that mean.....? Cheers!