• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Almost ready....

Croatan_Kid

After months of parts hunting, learning experiences, and lots of money well spent, I will finally be swapping my very stout 700R4 into my M1008. Hopefully I will have enough time to stop and take pictures here and there or at least get my help to do that for me :D

I'll keep yall updated. Tuesday is when this is gunna happen, maybe part of Wednesday, depending on how good I am.

ready?

I thought i was ready too...guess what?

we should place bets...i predict 5 days to completion and 8 part runs.
i hope you thought of the shift linkage...

good luck on the swap. :popcorn:

Croatan_Kid

Well....guess what!

No runs to the parts store, I remembered all of my parts, and everything worked out just fine! So HA! I started at 9 a.m. yesterday morning and closed up shop and went to eat at 7 p.m. I wasn't trying to set a speed record and I didn't stop to eat all day.

I did have to "massage" some things. Wound up cutting a lip offa the transmission case so my dipstick would fit, had to bend the dipstick up a little bit, and the transmissions cooler lines were kind of a pain to bend up to the 700 because they're higher than a 400. Other than that, it was pretty simple.

I still have to wire up the torque converter lockup, adjust to TV cable some more, and eventually put a cooler on it.

Pics will come later, after I put them on photobucket.

AJMBLAZER

Woot!

Driven it yet?

I forget, did you put a tach in? I'm curious to see how much of a drop it gives. Heck, I don't even know what my rpm's are.

Croatan_Kid

Oh yeah, I've driven it. I had to drive it home with more slack than I needed in the TC cable, then I had to go get some cable stops from the parts house and I adjusted it some more this morning. It's about right, now I just gotta figure out why my TC aint locking up like it's supposed to.

Before the OD and figuring that my tires were 38.5 inches tall:

At 55 MPH, which was the fastest I ever drove, I was turning just under 2200 RPM. Now with a 30% OD gear at 55 MPH I would be turning a lowly 1540 RPM. Of course, now that I had OD I run about 65 MPH, at which I'm turning 1810 RPM.

Can't get much better than that!

Croatan_Kid

No way man! It's rock solid in OD. It feels like it's got way more torque when I'm cruising. I try to pull in down in manual 3rd and not let it shift into OD until 50-55. I'm also not sure if my TC is locking up like it's supposed to. Other than that, everything is great! The aluminum pan I put on it sure does throw out some heat!

AJMBLAZER

Since I'll probably stick with my 208 (unless I happen across a '89 NV241) I'm going to change the speedo gears in mine, hopefully soon.

Got a thread saved over on CK5 about doing the swap. Just need to actually start looking at doing it. Mine indicates 45 when I'm actually doing 55.

Croatan_Kid

Same here, that's why I kept the ones I had so it was still the same amount off.

It's real easy to swap them over. There's only 4 bolts that hold the tail shaft to the transfer case, slide the gear off, put the new one on, put the t-case pump back in the alignment holes and put on some ultra black RTV.

It's that simple!

(IIRC, there was a guy over on CarolinaK5 or WheelinDixie that had an '89 mech speedo 241 for sale not too long ago. Might wanna check that out!)

AJMBLAZER

No I don't. Got money with a good purpose for it that isn't truck related, no space, and the intention to sell my house and move...so yeah...i don't need it...now...

Croatan_Kid

Gotcha.

Welp, last night about 30 miles from home it lost OD, then once I slowed down in the parking lot of where I was going, it wouldn't shift outta first. I got there at about 8p.m. and didn't make it home until midnight.....on a rollback. :cry:

arrg!

Man...that blows.i hate to say it,but...welcome to 700r land.

but you know what?when i got my 4l80 to work and went for a test run,i didn't realize that i had a blocked cooler line...melted the o/d planetarie pack.had to pull the whole thing and have it stripped down and repaired.when you mentioned that you had to bend your cooler lines,i thought of the ones i built and screwed up...and i got a mere 30 km's out of mine...live and learn.

you didn't mention you had a lift and a complete shop to use...i'm jealous.i did all my stuff on the ground behind my employers office.all i got to use was the bathroom and an extension cord.kind of threw off my estimate...until i read your post.clocks ticking :twisted: