• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator/Generator housing broke. Repair?

springer1981

Looks like a cast metal and depending on quality of the metal will determine if it can be reliably welded. How much time and machinery do you have? If I were in that situation I would machine a ring with a tab that went around the alternator and then screw it to the case. Not a simple or fast fix but if you have access to a lathe and bridgeport it would be less money than replacing it. If you want to buy me a chunk of steel I could probably make it.

Hummer Guy

I forgot to put the spacer in and broke the housing. Can it be welded? If not does anybody know where I could get a new case because the alternator is good still. TIA!
I don't have that style of generators, but it seems like the housing will come off if you take off them bolts in the front if not then I'll just weld it on

USCDOC

Looks like a cast metal and depending on quality of the metal will determine if it can be reliably welded. How much time and machinery do you have? If I were in that situation I would machine a ring with a tab that went around the alternator and then screw it to the case. Not a simple or fast fix but if you have access to a lathe and bridgeport it would be less money than replacing it. If you want to buy me a chunk of steel I could probably make it.
I don't have machining equipment unfortunately. It's not magnetic, so I'm assuming it's cast aluminum? I wouldn't mind purchasing some steel for you to do some magic!

USCDOC

I don't have that style of generators, but it seems like the housing will come off if you take off them bolts in the front if not then I'll just weld it on
I tried to separate the case, but it's pretty involved. I think it's aluminum?

USCDOC

I think these are the numbers you’re looking for? I can send you a check or purchase the metal and ship it to ya?
Than
I don't need anything yet, let me see what I can come up with this weekend.
thanks. Here is what I came up with for the weekend. I tried to aluminum braze the metal, but it wouldn’t take.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your work looks great but I might consider taking things apart, grinding the Aluminum clean, putting it back together and TIG welding the seam.

Maybe not necessary but it is cheap insurance.

springer1981

thanks. Here is what I came up with for the weekend. I tried to aluminum braze the metal, but it wouldn’t take.
Did you buy that one on epay? I checked and I don't have a large enough piece of stock to make a tab. The tab would go around most of the outside diameter of the alternator and would be bolted on. The tab on the opposite side prevents going completely around. If you need me to make it, I would need a 10"x10" plate of Aluminum 1/2" thick.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Than

Aluminum brazes with Zinc alloy, not brass.

There is a guy who sells the brazing stick for Aluminum. Has YouTube videos.

Last edited:

USCDOC

Aluminum brazes with Zinc alloy, not brass.

There is a guy who sells the brazing stick for Aluminum. Has YouTube videos.
dang I tried brazing alloy from a local welding supply and no go… I hooked up the alternator after my quick fix and it’s not charging. I think I just got it too hot😢😩. I should have waited for more advice… $800 mistake. Ugh

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could have been a $99 mistake, did you buy that alternator? No you cannot weld anything aluminum while assembled aluminum transfers heat too well to contain the heat "locally"

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could have been a $99 mistake, did you buy that alternator? No you cannot weld anything aluminum while assembled aluminum transfers heat too well to contain the heat "locally"
Yes correct. I would find another Alt and move on. Aluminum brazing requires the base metal to be heated to 1000F and lets not forget the melting point for Aluminum is around 1200F so very little room. They do have Aluminum brazing rods that have a lower base metal temp somewhere around 750F as I remember. Heating up the case while the windings are in there is not a good idea. If it were mine I would find a good used replacement.

Mark

I suggest you contact TNJ Murray and see if they have any of that type. They are my first go to place for used parts.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have to replace it at this point anyway, you might consider switching to a 24V alternator instead. Much higher reliability and more plentiful in the market. Not all that complicated to make/modify the brackets to mount it. Just have to get the correct pulley.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks