• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aluminum bolts for 10k winch

rizzo

Hi, anyone know where to get the bolts that connect the pto shaft to the winch? I heard they are speceal shear bolts made out of aluminum. also where should I buy a rebuild kit for the same winch?

thanks

rizzo

I think it is a seal, has oil all over the outside, I havn't looked at it too much, I'm gonna check the oil and keep an eye on it. I got it with a truck at GL so who knows. I just installed it on my shop van today and havn't used it yet. I will test it later this week.

mangus580

are they really that bad spicer? Mine is currently out, and I keep cursing myself for not getting it fixed. I figured it did good for keeping hte cable from 'self spooling'. Am I wrong?

jatonka

Which useless brake did you want to throw out? The band brake that holds the load when you disengage the clutch to stop the winch? Or the drag brake that stops the drum from over spooling when you pull the cable out to hook on to something? Both brakes are important and easy to adjust. Band brake is externally adjustable, so is drum drag brake. Both explained in the maintainance manual.

mangus580

There is a band brake in them? I will have to look again.

Anyone know where to get the drag brake? Mine has no material left on it.

which manual has the winch maintanence in it?

jatonka

10K M35 winch

Hi Mangus, the band brake is behind the flat plate directly in front of the input shaft, there is one bolt out of all of them that you can't take out due to interference with part of the winch bracket, but you can loosen it and swivel the plate up out of the way. You will see the whole assembly then. adjustment is done externallywith the nut head that sticks out of the case to the lower left as you face the winch. easy to clean up with brake-kleen. There is a gasket involved. Hi Rizzo, the drag brake adjustment is on the other side of the winch(passenger), lower front corner. Big flat flush mount screw, use a small drag link socket or VERY larger slotted bit screw driver. Turn clockwise(in) to apply more force to drum to slow over spooling. As far as new pad on end of drag brake shaft, a good truck brake service who re-lines shoes should be able to cut and bond a pad on. very small area of contact. I also sell the winch shear pins for M35's(same as M37's) too. John T

rizzo

10K M35 winch

jatonka said:
Hi Mangus, the band brake is behind the flat plate directly in front of the input shaft, there is one bolt out of all of them that you can't take out due to interference with part of the winch bracket, but you can loosen it and swivel the plate up out of the way. You will see the whole assembly then. adjustment is done externallywith the nut head that sticks out of the case to the lower left as you face the winch. easy to clean up with brake-kleen. There is a gasket involved. Hi Rizzo, the drag brake adjustment is on the other side of the winch(passenger), lower front corner. Big flat flush mount screw, use a small drag link socket or VERY larger slotted bit screw driver. Turn clockwise(in) to apply more force to drum to slow over spooling. As far as new pad on end of drag brake shaft, a good truck brake service who re-lines shoes should be able to cut and bond a pad on. very small area of contact. I also sell the winch shear pins for M35's(same as M37's) too. John T

do you sell the 5 ton pins?

jatonka

Hi, the 5 ton front winch takes a larger aluminum shear pin than the M35 deuce shear pin. I am working on the 5 ton shear pins as we speak. JT :idea:

spicergear

I have done a LOT of pulling with my Garwood winches either of the 10K's on my big M715 or the 20K on the nose of my Deuce. I have yet, NEVER needed to have to hold the load to disengage the clutch at the winch. Why? I still don't get that. You can disengage the PTO then back up if you need to drag something out like that...and please don't tell me that's how worm drives are damages since they don't care whether you're pulling on them or they're screwing in the spool.

Mangus, it is a near physical impossibility to backspin a worm drive like on these winches. I've actually cleaned up the physical appearance of my winches that I've swapped on my chucking up the band brake housing in the lathe and turning it down so it looks virtually identical to the input side's flange. I've beat on these winches pretty hard and ain't sold on that band brake for anything. OH, and beside that...for anyone that pulls their cover off and it pours out water or oil...now you won't be surprised. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks