• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aluminum bolts for 10k winch

jatonka

winches

I am beginning to feel like I don't know as much as I thought I did. I have to figure you installed a 20K winch on your deuce if we are talking about a front mounted winch. I own a lot of M35's and those that are equipped with winch all have a 10K winch on the front end. If you have a pipeline M 756 truck, then I have learned that it does have a 20K winch midship mounted. As far as the holding brake up front, there are directions in maintainence manuals that instruct a person how to test the holding power and adjust it. I thought that would be an important piece of information. I bought a truck once that snapped shear pins as soon as I engaged the winch and let the clutch out. When I tried to turn the input shaft with a 36" pipe wrench and couldn't I figured something was busted in the winch, I took the cover off the holding brake and it was a mass of rust from water that had gotten in through a bad gasket. once we cleaned it out we had a winch that would turn again. The other part that bothers me is why did Garwood and the other gov't manufactures of 10K winches for deuces put those brakes on there for if they didn't serve a purpose? :?:

mangus580

John, do you have a copy of the manuals? they seem to be quite elusive, and I am having a hard time locating them. I am looking for a copy that I can disassemble and scan/copy and reassemble.

If you are referring to spicergears winch, he has installed a 5 ton winch on the front of his deuce. But, he uses deuce winches on his 715's

jatonka

Manuals on winches

Hi Mangus, I will get back to you tomorrow PM with Manual 3 and section on the winch adjustments. Yeah I was refering to Spicergear's winches, lucky I guessed he did some winch swapping, forums are a bad place to go off half cocked, you get flamed in spades!!!!!!!! JT

spicergear

Mangus, that's pretty interesting. I've NEVER once had either of my Garwood sizes unspool with pressure and I've pulled the brakes out of all of them. I've pulled pretty massive logs to near the truck then simply kicked the PTO out of gear, slapped the truck in reverse and backed out dragging them. Never once unspooled.

JaTonka...I have two 10K Garwoods on my big block and rockwell'ed M715 and have two 20K Garwoods on my V8 CAT deuce and a half. I've held off on the rear driveline for the winch knowing something big was going to happen. Well, M977 crane is big and happening and I've figured I can run the drive down the pass side frame now. Figures...I'll have to pull the rear winch out and flip the pinion in it.

spicergear

Huh, I've just never had that happen. I mean...I'm mean to these winches sometimes. Mean like logs gets hung up on something I think it will go past, I'll unspool a little cable, kick the pto out of gear and back the truck up and give it a jerk that way. Never had one unspool. I thought it was an impossibility of phyics to actually have the bull gear spin the worm. Well, now I know at least WHAT they're for...and I still don't need them. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks