• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ample ACC power with this unit.

edpdx

Aux ACC wiring.jpg

I needed power up my new radio AND CB AND Scanner. In another thread I learned how to get one circuit for the radio; but this left me high-and-dry for the other electronics. Warthog tipped me to a useful add-on and after researching it I was able to put an axillary Fuse Block in near the original. It makes 6 new slots available to run electronics in the ACC Key position. This as most of us know is the only way to safely run the radio without turning the truck on and struggling to hear above the din of the diesel. The whole deal utilizes a simple relay and the added fuse block $12 if you have wire and connectors already.

This is what I ended up with. The Wiring of the FUSE TAP is described above; but with the addition of the Axillary Fuse Block (AFB) - Dedicated to Add-on Accessories, the tap is wired to the Relay instead of the Radio. The radio can be added to any of SIX points on the AFB.

The relay was a standard relay from Radio Shack. The AFB came from NAPA. I combined them by notching a piece out of the base of the AFB (behind the yellow label) that was wide enough for the mount tab of the relay to slide under and used a dab of JB WELD PUTTY. This gave the unit a solid feel and now I just had to mount one stable piece under the dash.

Wire the relay with a 30" Ground- add a female connector at each end. Attach to relay. If you attach the AFB with JB Weld to the relay. Use an 8" wire with Female connectors at each end. Attach at both ends. The Add-a-tap that plugs in where the WIPER Fuse would be contains two fuses (35/10AMP)- the pigtail may need a short extension- then it gets a female connector and is attached to the relay (spade 86). Power the relay last with either a run of wire to the front battery or as I did with a short length of wire that includes a 15 AMP fuse to the 30 Spade on the relay. This SPADE end plugs into the slot right above the "R" in WIPER on the stock fuse block... and it may need to be bent upward so that the Add-a-tap can fully seat in the WIPER slot.

Parts:

• Radio Shack Relay- 12VDC/30A SPST Automotive Relay Model: 275-226 (four spades: 85,86,87&30)
  • NAPA Fuse Block: Part Number: BK 7825316 Product Line: Balkamp 30 AMP.
  • Add-a-fuse: BP-HHA-RP ATC FUSE TAP by Cooper Bussman (Autozone)

• Connectors/spades/Shrink tube
  • Velcro/Zip ties

quickfarms

Since you are pulling the power directly from the battery install a fuse or circuit beaker at the battery or next to it and rate this device for the rated capacity of the fuse panel.

jdeoliveira74

I have added two of those one for swithed power and one for constant works great. What quick farms was saying is since you are pulling power straight from battery you should put an in line fuse or circut breaker rated at the power for what you need extra protection

edpdx

Another fuse? Okay but there is a fuse on each of the outputs from the relay and the fuse block has a fuse for each accessory it protects. Is the extra fuse to protect the relay only?

oilcan

That extra fuse is in case something pinches the feed wire under the hood. If it doesn't have a fuse or breaker right at the battery terminal, the cut/broken wire will short on metal and cause all kinds of bad juju.

mtn man

Add on fuse block

Put a fuce block on a while back. Great mod and has found plenty of use. Used it to hook up CD player most recently. Also powering a nav, cell charger, CB, and aux 12v power.

Thread with pics

I will have to get some more pics posted... CB is on headliner now, CD player install wasn't too bad.. front and rear speakers.... other pics online of floor liner already.

edpdx

chuck0070 and mtn man, thanks for the additional info. Good wire management and mounting ideas. I am still unhappy with where my AUX Fuse Block sits. I think I'll fab up a bracket to mount it to. The wires are ok though. I guess the difference is that with Warthogs help, I was able to run the relay through the Ignition Key ACC Position. I Have come back to rigs I have wired in the past after forgetting that I turned the radio down, not OFF. A dead battery in the sticks sucks.

My other big concern was that my kids or wife may take my rig and end up listening to the radio with the key in START- talk about bad juju.

Lots of ways to do it- I love learning as many as I can... keeps the juices flowing. ;-)

chuck0070

I was worried about the stereo being left on also, that's why I used a lighted switch panel, if the light on the switch is on, then the device is still powered. It's already caught my attention a few times when I might have forgotten it was still on. So far, no drained battery, no devices left on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks