• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An Aussie 5-ton RV conversion 'Mad Max Winnebago'

spicergear

Once I got out past the Blue Mountains and other side of Bathhurst and out past Orange is started thinning out a LOT. The Aussie accent got so 'thick' at times while getting further West I had to ask people to repeat what they're saying. I'm thinking to myself, "I know they're speaking English but what are they saying?!" :mrgreen: Ooooo...and the Aussie accent on a well spoken Sydney gal...whew...not bad- :D

graynomad

"I know they're speaking English but what are they saying?!
That's a coincidence, I thought exactly the same when I was in the States :)

Try going to Scotland, I asked for directions once and after a couple of minutes the only words I understood were "wee hoos".

tamangel

"I know they're speaking English but what are they saying?!"..
No, they aren't..they are speaking Australian.. Just like we don't speak English, we speak American.. There is a difference.. Some of us are better being bilingual than others.. :)

just my 2cents worth although I guess for OZ has to be 5 cents..

Mike

HASSON1911

I love it, but i also hate it, because i know it makes my Deuce look like peanuts. I just gotta tell myself that my truck is David, and eventually it will come out ahead, even if i know it won't :-D

spicergear

That's a coincidence, I thought exactly the same when I was in the States :)

Try going to Scotland, I asked for directions once and after a couple of minutes the only words I understood were "wee hoos".
I was in London talking to a guy and actually giving me direction then got into some other tangent of conversation when all of a sudden he says, "...and Bob's your Uncle." WHAT?!... LOL!

dburt

Rob, when you come over to the states you won't be bringing your truck along too will you? Sure would be nice to see it in person, but the cost of shipping it over might be a bit much!

graynomad

bringing your truck along too will you?
Not bloody likely, it would be cheaper for me to pay for you to fly over (don't get exited, that isn't going to happen :))

No if we do come over I would buy a small RV or even a camper, sell it at the end of the trip, get all/most of my money back and Robert is your father's bother.

just my 2c worth although I guess for OZ has to be 5 cents..
Not these days, after many years in the financial doldrums our $ is now worth just a little more than the US$. That's one thing that makes a trip more doable.

@Flat Black, thanks, I guess you used a different name when we emailed.

dburt

Rob, if you ever rethink that thought about flying me over there 'cuz it's cheaper then shipping the truck over here, let me know ok? Especially if you decide the idea has good merit!! I'd go for the deal if you change your mind!:D

rmgill

Robb, you could probably fit out a container and ship it over for not too much and buy yourself a 5 ton truck and stick the container on the truck and get around that way.

graynomad

I think I'll stick to the idea of buying a camper :)

@dburt, no problems, I'll fly you over as soon as you like, all I ask is that you place the price of the fare (plus a small surcharge, shall we say 20%) in my paypal account :)

You guys would love the shed I visited the other day, the uncle of a friend is a mad MV collector and has these

GMC 6x6 truck ('43 I think) with rag top.
Willys jeep.
25 pounder + ammo trailer
6 pounder anti tank
AA gun
Armored scout car

and other bits & pieces.

Apparently when towing the guns you don't have trouble with tail gaters.

graynomad

Not really. I've done some research on buying a vehicle and it doesn't seem to be easy for a foreigner. I think it's not bad in Michigan but that's probably not the best place to buy a camper.

Anyway still thinking.

graynomad

Thanks, there's no rush and I need to look further into how a foreigner can buy anything, but I would say maybe up to $10k for a smallish camper.

Assuming we stay for 6 months we could afford to leave it at the airport if it doesn't sell. That's not likely but you have to consider the worst case. That's $55 a day, still not cheap but doable.

graynomad

you might not get top dollar
That doesn't matter much, even if we buy for 10 and sell for 5 we're ahead. But as long as you don't get ripped off on the buy (more likely when you don't know the local system) you should get way more than half back.

I think the paperwork to buy is the problem, needs more research.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks