• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An Aussie 5-ton RV conversion 'Mad Max Winnebago'

Loco_Hosa

My sister is touring Australia right now, see your build and some photos made my night!

I love your truck, its pretty much amazing!

If you decided to come through this neck of the woods, Washington state, near Seattle and mount Rainier. (Dont know if your familiar with either of those) I would be happy to assist in yall tracking down a camper. (And/or selling said camper)

Stay safe and welcome to SS!

dburt

Rob- go to www.craigslist.com and click on the Boise, Idaho link. Then look under RVs. You will find decent class C motorhomes for around $2,500-$6,000 that would work well for 6 months of wandering around the USA. I have heard of other folks from countries like Germany and yes, even the occasional Aussie who buy rigs to drive around in while they see the country, and I have never heard of any problems. Keep us posted!

graynomad

Thanks guys, sorry for the delayed response my computer's been in the shop for a week :(

I like how much smaller the mk2 is
We miss the space but not the size, smaller vehicles are much easier to handle and we get to camp in places we would never have taken Mk1.

Washington state
Definately on my list if we get there.

and I have never heard of any problems
Yeah I'm over thinking it I reckon. 20 years ago I would have just got on a plane and figured it out when I got there.

I'll have a poke around craigslist.

graynomad

I've been looking at craigslist, this one

81 Motorhome 24'

that you linked to DB looks about the perfect size for us I think, maybe even smaller.

Looking at some of the larger rigs, how do you guys get away with such huge rear overhangs? We're only allowed 60% of the wheelbase and even that will get you hung up on most service station entrances.

rickf

Man! They are a lot cheaper on the west coast! That unit over here in the east would be double that. I would be all over it!:whistle::whistle::whistle:
Seriously though, if you are interested then discuss it in PM's because someone else looking may just snatch it out from under you. No it will not be me, 3000 miles away and I am not like that anyway but there are others who are.

Rick

graynomad

Yeah that one is pretty cheap. I would be flat out getting new tyres for it for that price over here.

It's far from a given that we'll come over, there's a lot of inertia to overcome but the pressure is rising :)

However it won't be for some time (6-12 months maybe longer) so anything advertised now will be long gone anyway. We don't have a huge amount of money but at these prices we hardly have to bother with selling it at the end of the trip.

rickf

You were talking about problems with foreigners buying things here, A friend of mine from Germany has said the same thing while another German friend has no problem? One thing I do know is that cash talks.:roll: Right now everyone's cash is worth a lot more than ours.:x The only problem I would foresee is registering and titling it as a foreigner. I am sure there are ways around that.

Rick

dburt

Rob- as far as the large rear overhangs go, lots of folks add the little steel swiveling dolly wheels at the back to keep from dragging the frame or rear bumper when going over any uneven entrances or dip in the road surface. I had some friends once that built an old '55 Ford school bus into an RV, and then decided to add a permanent back porch to it. That made the rear axle right in the middle of the overall lenth of the bus. Looked kinda' odd, but it was handy when you backed into a camp space near a lake- you could just fish right off the back porch!;)

graynomad

That made the rear axle right in the middle of the overall length of the bus.
Bloody heck, and that's legal?

I think the issue authorities have over here is that when you turn a corner the overhang can wipe out a fence or whatever. If you get dry-bogged because your drive wheels are in the air that's your problem.

The only problem I would foresee is registering and titling it as a foreigner.
Yep I think that's the issue, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to take my cash :)

dburt

Rob, since 'down under' is part of the UK, maby you could come over first to one of the sister parts of the British Empire- yep, good old Canada and buy a vehicle up there and somehow register it up there, and then you'd be set? Seems like one time I heard of someone from Australia do something like that to take of the licensing aspect of the transaction because it was easier to do in Canada. Maby worth checking into if we can't help you figure out a way to do it in the states?

graynomad

Yeah, we're all still part of the Commonwealth so that may be easier. I know it was common for people to get into Aus by first going to NZ.

I also have a mate in Canada, he gets around a lot but he may have an address I could use.

Gruemeyer

HI

Have a MV who will be local to your entry airport act as your agent.. Write up a contract to have the purchase for you and give you an exclusive rental agreement.. Heck I'm in Indiana and sure we can help... There are used RV all over Indianapolis area of all sizes..

graynomad

Thanks Maverick.

@Gruemeyer
Sorry for the delayed response. The idea is on the back burner for the moment, as a foreigner the first idea is to head for the big smokes like LA, but that's probably the worst sort of place to go. Indiana sounds better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks