• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

And After I Had Hung the Birdfeeder in the Tree the Tree Fell Over

Akicita

I'm NOT making this up:
Because we got a surprise snow storm here in Pennsylvania, I filled the bird feeder today and hung it up in the tree I've used for years for that purpose. A few minutes later, the tree tipped over and fell onto the house.
I first made a few cuts with a chain saw to get the weight off the roof and windows but I saw that the heavy top of the tree would eventually come crashing down on two air conditioners. I couldn't see any way to cut the tree in such a way that it would not hit the A/C.
Who needs a chain saw when you have a Deuce ? I tied a rope around the tree, hooked the rope to the winch and tugged a little. Immediate problem solved. The tree came off the roof and did not hit the A/C.
Looks like I'll have to replace two gutters but the roof itself looks OK from the ground. When the snow melts next week, I'll climb up there and check things out more thoroughly.
Sorry, no pictures of the Deuce at work. I had my hands full getting the tree off the house and did not take a camera out with me.
Of course, the wife had to ask what I had put into that birdfeeder before it hung it into the tree.....

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know whether to laugh or cry! Wish you luck. I'm from SE PA myself, have a few cousins out there still and friends. Hope the damage is slight. Did you get outages? New hope area did.

SMOKEWAGON66

It was all the fat birds you've been feeding for years..they all landed on the branch at the same time LOL :lol: ....glad it didnt do any serious damage. And add this to that "uses for deuces" thread[thumbzup]

wsucougarx

For some reason, I think I'll be having to use the deuce this winter for something other than pleasure driving. The PNW has avoided many of the natural disasters thus far. I have a feeling this is about to come to a screaching halt.

CobraCDR

I'm glad there was no serious damage! This is yet again another reason why everyone needs a deuce. I feel you pain when it comes to the clean-up after storms; no shortage of them in Minnesota.

oddshot

... Because we got a surprise snow storm here in Pennsylvania ....
Are there a LOT of trees down in Eastern Pa?

Is the power knocked out?

Are the roads nearly impassable and dangerous to drive on?

I got a NASTY ex-wife that lives out in Shamokin. I just hope she's having a WONDERFUL day.

oddshot

oddshot

:lol:

I must say, despite feeling sorry for your damage, this cracked me up! That sounds like an anecdote out of a Bill Bryson book...

Cheers,
Mark
WOW ... another Bill Bryson fan!!! I'll bet old Bill could knock off a GREAT book about the trials and tribulations of owning a Deuce.

He wouldn't even have to drive it up (or down ... or up AND down) the Appalachian Trail.

oddshot

Jtspendy

HTML]I'm glad there was no serious damage! This is yet again another reason why everyone needs a deuce. I feel you pain when it comes to the clean-up after storms; no shortage of them in Minnesota.[/HTML]

Just have to be sure you have the winch, funny last week we were using mine to help a friend clear his land, the winch makes it real easy to get all the trees to the log splitter to cut em up

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was 1 big bird feeder to tip over the tree...Your lucky your healthy and safe, its been all over the news of your blizzard. Good luck.

91W350

Maybe next time you hang the feeder, you should move it a little closer to the trunk.... that way it will have less leverage to topple the tree with and same for the staging birds.

Seriously though, I am glad nobody was injured. I have a friend who got caught by a falling cottonwood. He was pinned. When the tree was lifted off of him, he tried to stand up. The last act his legs performed. Paralyzed for life from just above the waist down. Super guy, most unfortunate turn of events. Had he just laid there until the medics arrived to pick him up, he may have been able to keep his nervous system intact. I would find that difficult to do myself. Glen

WOW ... another Bill Bryson fan!!! I'll bet old Bill could knock off a GREAT book about the trials and tribulations of owning a Deuce.

He wouldn't even have to drive it up (or down ... or up AND down) the Appalachian Trail.

oddshot
Oh, I'm a huge Bryson fan, have all his books, most enjoyable.
We should suggest that to him as a sequel to "A sunburned country" like "Around Australia with a Deuce"....
No wait a minute, that was Tony Hawks.... what the heck, anyhow...

Cheers,
Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks