• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Annual Northern Pilgramage

Armada

Well guys, it's here again already. Tonight starts our annual hunting expedition to the northwestern corner of Michigans upper penninsula. It's almost a 1000 mile round trip. This will be my dueces' first time up. Last year some may remember Pappa-g had a bent crank and was putting his engine back in just a few days before we left. This year he's bringing his truck again, my truck with my m105 trailer, and another brother is driving up an M1009 that I picked up for him this summer. We've been using a GP medium for years. This year I picked up a diesel generator from GL and I have the gp med. lighting kit, so no more pumping lanterns. Once we're set up, it will look like some kind of military exercise is being conducted.
It's a great time and the drive up is half the fun. Even though we get deer every year, this year does not look promising. The population is very low this year. But that's ok.
Along with all the camping gear, the trucks are loaded with tools, fluids and many spare parts. Anyway, should have some great pics when we return.

Wow Paul, now that sounds like an incredible time. I wanna go! Save the backstraps and turn the rest into jerky or sausage so we all have something to nibble on while we're in the Mess Tent (online chat room).
Have fun, a great trip, and most of all.............BRING BACK PICTURES!! :D

Armada

Well, I finally have a few minutes to report on the trip. All of the trucks ran great with no problems! That is not to say they didn't 'skin their noses'. I smashed a convoy light and Pappa-G bent a front marker light and fender due to wayward tree limbs. The evening of the deer season opener, we were hit with a blizzard that dumped a foot of snow. It took us 3 days to chainsaw our way to a point in a road that had been cleared. The winds and heavy snow dropped a lot of lumber! It was an awesome time battling the elements. I shot a nice buck too, so venisons on me :wink: I need to resize the pics before I can post them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooff! Love living in the GP tents! I've got one we use at the sand races in OH every year and love it. The cold would be a cool element too. I've been eyeing the light sets but kinda waiting on the bruce lights. Great trip!

Armada

Here is the diesel generator that I picked up from GL this summer. It started and ran flawlessly. We put over 100 hours on it. With the GI lighting kit we had the inside of the tent lit up like a landing strip, lights outside around the tent, and even a light in the shitter. :)
I mounted the tires on it. The crate next to it is the lighting kit.

Attachments

mangus580

WAY cool pics!!

I think on an adventure like that my convoy lights might have been taken off ahead of time ;-) Although, I do plan on making a 'cage' for them to help save them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
great pictures

Longhunter7

Great!

Armada,

Great pictures! That looks like one of those little bitty Michigan deer! :wink:

I'll bet it "hog dressed" out over 200 lbs.!

I'll bet you're already planning next years "venison maneuvers"! :arrow:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks