• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Annual Pilgramage North.... Military Vehicles and Deer

Armada

Ok guys, as promised, a write-up and pics of this years trip.
Not as many pics taken this time, mostly video. This was our annual hunting trip to the extreme northern regions of Michigans Upper Penninsula. Past trips can be found farther back in the forum.
This years scenario finds Pappa-G and myself heading north first, days prior to the season opener. I drove my M35 and flat towed the jeep. Another buddy followed in his truck.
I spent the previous month before the trip PMing the M35. It needed a couple leaking seals replaced, fluid and filter changes, all typical maintenance. I also installed some hardware..... a vic-1 intercom and a CB. I won't go into the vic-1 dilema here, that can be found in the radio section, but by the time we were ready to roll, it was working as designed. I must say, it was a pleasure to have on board. This is a 900 plus mile trip, and most of it at max speeds, so it was a noisey environment in the cab. The Vic-1 took care of that issue.
The old girl was fully LOADED to the top and it made for a nice smooth ride. After a full day of driving we arrived in Escanaba a couple hours short of our destination.
We spent the night there (see pic), and finished the rest of the journey the next morning which gave us the whole day to set up camp. More pics showing all of the 'stuff' coming out of the truck. It sure holds a lot of equipment.
Well, the weather was mild and setting up went smoothly. Big surprise when we got to our spot though. Seems they had done some logging since last year. A lot of debris on the ground, but our spot for the tent was clear and the outhose had not been molested. Well, I'm sure they 'molested' it (it's a nice crapper you know), but they left it standing. Other than now standing in the open, it was just as, and where it always had been.
This was also the second year for our 'upgraded' GP medium. All I can say is, big improvement over the canvas. I still like the canvas, but this one has white interior, windows, seals tighter, and more.

Attachments

Armada

Part 2
We brought coal with us for the wood stove, and were also surprised to see that the loggers had left us a pile of seasoned logs. :roll: I'm sure they were for us for the use of the outhouse.... :) Needless to say, we definately stayed warm.
By opening day, there were 4 of us together in camp, with 2 more to arrive 2 days later.
Pappa-G finally got a U.P. buck kill on opening day after all these years. (I don't think he was in it for the hunting....lol). We can no longer call him the 'buckless yooper'. He got a nice 7 point. I scored a heavy 6 point and 8 point, another buddy got a 6 and a 3 point. A friend brought his son up this year as he was old enough to hunt with a rifle. It was his first time at a north woods deer camp and you would have thought he had died and went to heaven! Well, we didn't die but we were in heaven..... Unfortunately he missed a 4 point. He was bummed.
We had a visit from the CO's on opening day. First time they have EVER been through there. They left me with something to remember them by. :x
Anyway, we all saw deer. Buck to doe ratio was 50%. Hasn't been that good in a long time. The Deuce performed flawless the entire trip. We put over 120 hours on the diesel genset (military), and I think we all gained a couple pounds. The Bucks can get bigger, but Life doesn't get any better.
Looking forward to next year already.

Attachments

kcimb

You go camping in style.

I am soooooooooooooooooooo jealous.

Do you like the jeep? I've thought about one but I'm more into toyota tacomas...

Nice bucks too. You must have REALLY packed the deuce tight..not much room with the ATV in the bed.

M1075

Great pics, thanks for sharing. The duece looks great and the deer camp looks like good times were had. Regarding the deer, if the bucks are getting bigger, what did the little ones used to look like?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Man What a great wrap up of deer camp. I am jelous too since out of the last six years I have been deployed during five hunting seasons, I think my guns have disowned me.

Thanks for posting them and the duece looks great. What did you do to the Wrangler for towing?

ida34

67Beast said:
Did ya see da 30 point buck while up tere?

Looks like a good trip.
Is that 30 Tirty?

Did you have any alien trouble or sightings?

Did the chevy take a chit?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a swell outfit! How are you running the lights on your Jeep? Is that the standard military connector on your truck? Are you running add on lights for your Jeep? 24 volts? I always thought a Guy might as well have enough truck to get the job done.

Lee in Alaska

Pappa-G

We used a magnetic trailer light set with 24 volt bulbs. I made a connector from an old mil trailer wiring harness and a 4 pole flat connector. It worked out very well. No one rear ended me while I pushed Armadas duce for a Thousand miles!
He did say something about "upgrading" though?

offroaddiesel

real nice pics, looks like you guys have been doing this trip for some time now. we usually do our trek to the north also but due to work i had to postphone ,we have a big fishing trip planned . i hope i have a mv to take this year,enstead of the old bus and powerwagon steve

Armada

real nice pics, looks like you guys have been doing this trip for some time now.
We've been going there for over 20 years now. We used to hunt down state but got tired of tripping over all of the hunters and only seeing deer that were running scared sh!tless through the woods. We don't have the luxury of having our own land, so it's state land that we hunt. Where we go now, we never see another hunter in the woods. The camp has come a loooooong way since the first time we went. It is very comfortable now and we could easily spend the entire winter in it, if we had to. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks