• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another 700r4, plus a turbo addition

Iceman3005

Started working on it again.

Got the turbo oil lines finished up, the new fender in, and the battery trays made along with the new batteries installed.

Attachments

Iceman3005

Finished getting the trans and transfer case in today, installed rear drive shaft. topped off the fluids, started the truck and ran it through the gears. seems to shift good. Won't know really how well it shifts until I get it of jack stands and going down the road. Still have more things to get done. Need to finishing bleeding brakes, install front drive shaft, finish exhaust crossover, wiring for torque convertor lock-up, and then run the exhaust from the turbo.

I will probably to a 1 inch body lift to help clear the exhaust, and possibly a suspension lift.

Attachments

Ilikemtb999

The crossover fits well directly under the converter inspection cover. The downpipe is quite tight however if you're going between the engine and frame.

Iceman3005

Getting close ti being done, got the crossover welded up, all thats left is exhuast from turbo back. Took it for a test drive, wow what a difference! Actually will be a joy to drive!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Iceman3005

Got the 3 inch stainless exhaust kit in today, also got the borgenson steering shaft in as well. Going to do a 3 inch body lift, that is on its way. Decided to go 3 inch just to make it that much easier to get this exhaust installed. Plus with the body lift, there may be a 40 inch tire in the near future going under the truck. Might be a 22.5 super single? Stay tuned to find out!

Iceman3005

Got the borgenson steering shaft installed. 3 inch body lift installed. Stainless exhaust getting fab up. A few other odds and ends to do, then should be back on the road! Front drive shaft is really close to exhaust crossover. So a suspension lift will be next.

Iceman3005

This is part of the project I'm really excited about. Scored a factory cruise control harness!

Iceman3005

Got the fan shroud plate on, finished lengthening all the fuel lines, and fill neck for the fuel tank. Worked on the cruise control a little bit. Then finish the exhaust.

Iceman3005

I did a 3 inch body lift, there wasn't enough clearance between the frame and cab for the exhaust. Yes the exhaust is a custom 3 inch from the turbo all the way back.

Iceman3005

Well basically I have this project done. Well kinda, the trans I installed is slipping in 2nd and 3rd gear so another trans swap is necessary. The trans was free so not really out much, just my time. Also the turbo is not spooling like it should, it had over 200,000 miles on it so not surprised but that was pretty much free also. The exhaust has a few minor things, nothing major. Tires are junk so I just ordered some new ones, next will be to tackle the rust and new paint.

Iceman3005

Well, the 700r4 failed miserably! Pump died, 4th, 3rd, and 2nd failed. So I upgraded to the 4L80E. To much power with the turbo and the injection pump turned up.

True Knight

Also, let us know what you think of the new trans controller. The technology has come a long way since I did mine in 2011.

The DSL-1 looks like it’s been upgraded quite a bit since then too.

Iceman3005

I rebuild 700r4's to handle extremely high HP numbers, but to get it to handle the torque I am putting out would have required almost $3000 dollars. Getting tired of the 700r4. The 4l80e can handle 800 ft lbs of torque with no modifications. with a few mods it can handle well over 1000 ft. lbs. of torque.

So the 4l80e I basically got for free, the tci controller was about $800, $100 in fluids, $300 to lengthen, shorten drive shafts, $150 for the transmission / transfer case adapter, about another $300 in tach, wiring, and other misc. things. So total was $1650.

If I had to get a used 4l80e they go for any where between $500-800, so it still would be cheaper to go with the 4l80e upgrade. Rebuilding a 4l80e should only cost about $2000 with a new torque convertor, at my cost. Plan on another $500-1000 if you have to pay someone to do the labor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks