• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Aussie goat rescued

Aussiecowboy

It's been an exciting few weeks for goats in Aus with two changing hands and another "lost" one being located. Considering there is only half a dozen or so in the country that's fairly significant.

I bought and collected my my new goat this week from Tasmania which involved a flight, a drive, two flatbed trucks and a ferry ride home. It's fairly complete with only just over 1800 miles on the odometer. After almost a decade in a shed without running it fired straight up and the engine runs great, the brakes however need a full overhaul and the bearing on the transfer case input shaft is sloppy and noisy and will need replacing.

The tyres are perished and will all need replacing, is there still a source of these or an aftermarket replacement?

Im sure I will have many, many questions and parts requests, for starters I need one of the vehicle lifting lugs as one of mine is missing.

Attachments

tommys2patrick

A ferry ride??---looks to be more of an ocean voyage. By the way, Echuca seems like a beautiful place to live from what I saw on the interweb. Did the transportation cost more than the Goat? Great recovery!

Aussiecowboy

Echuca is a great place to live, I'm going to enjoy running th boat around the river tracks, and maybe the river itself.

I kept transport port costs to a minimum by going over there and collecting it myself. The seller had a flatbed and dropped it at the shipping terminal for me. I drove it on and off the boat which saved big dollars. The tilt tray from the port in Melbourne to my house was the most expensive part. I guess bass strait is an ocean voyage, about 300 miles and takes 8 hours.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DUKW tires are the same size, but a much higher load rating (11.00 x 18), usually a G or H, while the Goat tires are an E or F. Which makes sense, since the DUKW and cargo is over 20K, while the Goat is under 10K.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

I kinda don't wanna know what the 'ferry ride' cost because I once got a quote to take my Deuce over to Tassie,....

I was thinking of going on a trip for a weekend,...
Got the cost and ended that plan right there and then!

Great find and I hope its not going to be more than a wash and polish job to get it back into service for you.
Looks like my Deuce has a new friend to play with,... ;)

Aussie.

dmetalmiki

Fantastic vehicle. Looks in really fine fettle. That is going to be so much fun.
Now if you lived 'next door' (or almost)..I have a good few spare spares, Including a complete set of wheels and tires in excellent shape. It is a bit far realistically to .."swim" ours there to you with the bits!

Attachments

Aussiecowboy

G'day everyone,....

I kinda don't wanna know what the 'ferry ride' cost because I once got a quote to take my Deuce over to Tassie,....

I was thinking of going on a trip for a weekend,...
Got the cost and ended that plan right there and then!

Great find and I hope its not going to be more than a wash and polish job to get it back into service for you.
Looks like my Deuce has a new friend to play with,... ;)

Aussie.
The goat just squeezes in under the 6m length and 2.1m height requirements (at least that's what I told them) so they classed it as a 4wd, total cost of the crossing was only a bit over $300 including bunk.

Whereabouts in Aus are you?

Aussiecowboy

Fantastic vehicle. Looks in really fine fettle. That is going to be so much fun.
Now if you lived 'next door' (or almost)..I have a good few spare spares, Including a complete set of wheels and tires in excellent shape. It is a bit far realistically to .."swim" ours there to you with the bits!

Tyres and wheels can be shipped! I'm willing to any shipping costs for a good set, in fact I'll have no choice I suspect. Shipping from England would be cheaper than from the states I suspect. I'm willing to look into it further if you are.

Gamagoat1

DUKW tires are the same size, but a much higher load rating (11.00 x 18), usually a G or H, while the Goat tires are an E or F. Which makes sense, since the DUKW and cargo is over 20K, while the Goat is under 10K.

Goat tires are 1100x18 6ply Dukw tires are 1100x18 12 ply. A REAL hard ride!

Aussiecowboy

Well, my first day of goat whispering didn't go well. The brakes were dragging badly when I collected it, suspect due to rust in the drums. I jacked the goat up to back the brakes off and get it rolling properly and found the centre drivers side wheel loose. I pulled the drum only to have a heap of dirt and metal shavings falling out, long story short, a collapsed outer wheel bearing which has damaged both the brakes and hub, the hub has a deep gouge all around it. That bearing had been dry for a very long time.

By by sheer luck there was a hub with good used bearings and seals on eBay, as well as a brake assembly and drum. I bought them all but shipping is proving to be an issue, I think the seller just can't be bothered with international shipping. I may need a fellow goat herder to act as a forwarding agent if anyone is willing.

Also, how does one grease the universal joints between the diffs and hubs? No grease gun that I own will fit in there, I got one done by partially dismantling it but it took close to an hour, there must be a better way.

Attachments

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

The goat just squeezes in under the 6m length and 2.1m height requirements (at least that's what I told them) so they classed it as a 4wd, total cost of the crossing was only a bit over $300 including bunk.

Whereabouts in Aus are you?

WOW that was great going at only $300.00, I was quoted $4,000.00 as mine was classed as commercial simply because of its size.

I am just north of Melbourne. Looks like I am about 140-150ish klm from you.
;)

Aussie.

combat32

Shipping to you is gonna be a killer! That stuff is heavy. Wish you had asked before you bought I have 4 complete extras.

The most difficult part would be boxing it up well enough for the trip.

On the good side at least yours runs! My engine is still in pieces:D

Last edited:

Aussiecowboy

Shipping to you is gonna be a killer! That stuff is heavy. Wish you had asked before you bought I have 4 complete extras.

The most difficult part would be boxing it up well enough for the trip.

On the good side at least yours runs! My engine is still in pieces:D
If the seller won't play the game with shipping then I might call on you yet for spares! I haven't paid him yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks