• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Aussie goat rescued

Aussiecowboy

Another question worth asking here, the rubber brake and air lines on my goat are screwed directly into the stub axle flanges, it seems to me there should be an adaptor between the hose and the flange, otherwise the tapered seat in the brake hose doesn't shoulder out tight onto anything. I can't find a lot of detail on this in the manuals, can anyone confirm or deny? I can feel pics of it tomorrow if need be.

Cheers

m38inmaine

OK, I will have a medium flat rate box headed down under soon, have parts coming in from different SS members, any one else want to send something to help out you can pm me and ship them to me to forward. Shipping is 5x more expensive so I am trying to get all I can in the box.

Aussiecowboy

I'm humbled and very thankful for the help of the members here, in particular m38inmaine and mkcoen. Being is Aus makes goat parts hard to find.

Planning to pull the fuel tanks this weekend and clean them out, flush the lines and replace filters again to try and sort the lack or power, I have had some advice from a few other Detroit diesel guys on some thing to try as well so I will have a fiddle and hopefully get her going right. Will also start installing the completed brake units. That silicone brake fluid sure is expensive.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That silicone brake fluid sure is expensive.
If you flush the system completely you can switch over to normal brake fluid. It's just bad when mixing the two. But if the system is completely apart, flush with denatured alcohol and buy the cheap stuff.

Aussiecowboy

Wish I'd known that before I bought a gallon of silicone fluid, I do plan to swim mine occasionally so maybe a good thing I stuck with silicone.

I'm all over the bearing seal spacer ring, I actually tried to install one hub without the spacer just so I could move the goat about 10' but I found it impossible to preload the bearing to a point where I was willing to roll the vehicle on it, I ended up installing the spacer ring without the seal as a temporary measure.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

This is coming along nicely,...

Where did you get your dot5?

I have been paying $55.00 for 1/2 ltr bottles.

So far I have been through 3 bottles.

I need to get more. :(

Aussie.

Aussiecowboy

A bit of goat progress today. I drained the fuel tanks and cleaned them out as best I could, the baffles in them make it a bit difficult. There was a lot of sludge in the bottom from moisture and bad fuel, I added some new clean fuel and changed the filters again. I adjusted the throttle stop cable and throttle linkage as neither was getting full travel. Does anyone have a photo of their throttle attachment to the engine? Mine has a guide bracket bolted to the top of the transmission but it causes the throttle rod to bind before getting full travel, I'll take a photo and post it up. I ran out of time to drive it today but the engine certainly seems more snappy with a decent fuel supply.

Aussiecowboy

I have a few questions for the knowledgable people here. From the pics below, is the bracket and holder on the throttle shaft standard? It starts to bind up hard before the throttle reaches the fully open position, I undid it and the throttle moved much more freely, just wondering if it something the previous owner added. It really needs to be about an inch taller.

I'm also wondering what the pump above the starter motor is for, it's held on by hose clamps but is painted in military green and has obviously been there a long time. There is a switch on the dash for it that looks stock, only one hose coming from it which leads into the side of the block. I have no idea what it's for, does anyone else have this on their goat?

Attachments

m38inmaine

That is the factory throttle rod/linkage. I had to bend mine in a couple of different places to make it operate freely. That is a air pump that atomizes diesel into the air box for the cold start.

Aussiecowboy

Not a great deal as work has been keeping me busy. I did take it for a drive (still no brakes) and got it up to almost 50 so I think it's safe to say the engine issues are sorted. I did learn something, don't try to use the goat hand brake to slow it down from 20mph to take a corner, it will work but will also make a great deal of unpleasant smelling smoke. Pretty obvious lesson and I knew it would happen but I was just too keen to have a drive ��

I also took it "out bush" for some offroad fun, everything behaved itself well and I was extremely impressed with the ride quality, I did have to keep reminding myself about the carrier swinging out in the corners due to the rear steer, would be way too easy to clip a tree. I can't wait to get some brakes and registration on it and have some real fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks