• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another fuel pump went bad

jerseyjeep2003

Here we go again. I had the in-tank pump go bad about 3 months ago, "Bob" left me sitting on the side of the road. Long story short, tested, and checked everything....pump would not spin. I replaced it with a NOS in-tank pump from TNJ Murray, expensive but, it got me running again. Also changed all 3 fuel filters at that time. So here we are 3 months later, aaannd, pumpee no workee again. I am either hoping that John steps up to the plate and warranty's (called, but he was out for the day) this for me, or choice #2 is an inline 24v pump. Anybody have any suggestions as to which inline works best? I did a search and kind of came up with an Airtex e8131 pump that seems to be semi popular. Thanx, guys

yolner

There are some compatible pumps available on a certain popular auction site for a very good price. There is a thread on here discussing how to install them into the m35

dittle

Just out of curosity what are you running for fuel? Straight diesel or a WMO/WVO mixed with diesel? Not having the in-tank pump working should not stop the truck from running unless you have an air leak in your fuel system causing loss of prime.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dan is right, the in tank pump would not cause the motor to stop running. I have trucks right now that don't have working in tank pumps and they fire right up and run fine. You really don't even need that pump unless you are running alternate fuels like oil. You probably have a bad hose somewhere that is causing air to get into the system. Did you check the fuse under the cap of the pump on the top side of the tank?

DieselBob

Like others have said the truck should run fine without the intank pump running. I only found mine was inop because I changed the filters and went to purge them and nada, nothing. Truck was running great.

deuceaid

Banned
Last edited:

Coondawg

I replaced mine this past Friday with one directly from Olympic. Very nice unit, great customer service, and it came with new gaskets. I'm very pleased with it.

jerseyjeep2003

Just out of curosity what are you running for fuel? Straight diesel or a WMO/WVO mixed with diesel? Not having the in-tank pump working should not stop the truck from running unless you have an air leak in your fuel system causing loss of prime.
I had been running WMO, but switched to straight diesel when the weather turned colder. I don't believe there any air leaks as I have no real fuel leakage anywhere.

jerseyjeep2003

The truck was running one great Saturday afternoon, then Sunday afternoon it cranked ( 5 or 6 tries) then hesitantly started but stalled within seconds. Even though it is only a little colder, I plugged in my Zerostart block heater and tried again after 3 hours, still cranks, almost wants to start, but no go. I checked the fuse on top of the pump, it is good (continuity tester), I do have power to the pump. But the pump will not spin. As far as leaks, I have always had a few damp areas, but, only damp, not dripping. I was running WMO when the weather was warm, but, straight diesel for the last 6 weeks. I have probably run a tank and a half of diesel through it since then. I picked up new filters, but the weather isn't cooperating today, so I will try changing them out tomorrow. I may even try draining the tank, it was clean 3 months ago when I checked it. Even if the filters are dirty, that doesn't solve my pump problem. I have run it in the past with the fuel pump switched off after starting, and it would run fine. I have always used the lift pump for starting. I understand that the IP will draw enough fuel on it's own once it is running. Either way, I want to have an operating fuel pump, so i don't put any strain on the IP. I am going to look for some more threads on the issue. In the mean time, if someone comes across any good threads, can you post me a link?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because the NOS pump from TNJ Murray quit on you, don't assume it is a bad pump because your old pump was bad previously. Troubleshoot the problem and confirm that it is indeed a bad pump. It could also be a bad fuse, loose connection, etc.

jerseyjeep2003

Just because the NOS pump from TNJ Murray quit on you, don't assume it is a bad pump because your old pump was bad previously. Troubleshoot the problem and confirm that it is indeed a bad pump. It could also be a bad fuse, loose connection, etc.
I am not trying to bash TNJ Murray, John is a great guy, and has always treated me good. I am not far from his shop, so I have met him and been there many times. I did troubleshoot the system, the fuse is good and I do have power to the pump. I have not removed the pump yet, but there isn't too much on the unit itself that could have come loose.

bottleworks

I don't believe there any air leaks as I have no real fuel leakage anywhere.
No, you do. Suction leaks don't show up as well as pressure leaks. A proper fuel system won't need the pump for the engine to operate. If you keep killing pumps...

- What size fuse do you have installed? Has it blown?
- Have you checked the inside of your tank?
- Is there a bunch of gunk in there?
- What about the voltage available to the pump under the load of the pump (not open circuit voltage). Excessive voltage drop will damaged the pump over time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks