• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1010 owner

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of curiosity with a shim to turn the axle... 🤔 It’s short of the upper mount but it can be rotated forward past the stud...
Yeah I had that same issue when I installed 4" shackle flip and zero-things. I solved the issue by cutting the tabs off the tube and rotating them (both left & right) up on the tube and then re-welded them. After I got it done I then realized that I had also moved things up high enough so that rocks wouldn't hit the tabs or bolt. Glad I did.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of curiosity with a shim to turn the axle... 🤔 It’s short of the upper mount but it can be rotated forward past the stud...
So what I was actually getting at was that with the shim the shocks will fit without any issues. No cutting and welding to get clearance for the body. It was short because it was an OEM shock. New shocks have no issues... 🙄

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hot and humid today but I got some stuff done. Shims and pads came in so I wanted to assemble the leafs. Sprayed dry graphite coating on both surfaces where they meet . I got them both together with new hardware. I need some tubing for the top bolts but that's easy at this point. I got them in and and started test fitting shocks and just moving around exhaust pipes. I have a plan for it... just waiting on parts. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Updates: U-bolts are torqued, I’m not taking credit for this... Someone before me buggered this cover up! New cover and Lubelocker gasket installed. And another of those ‘because you’re already half way there’ projects. Replaced the u-joints in the rear drive shaft, the one at the differential was stiff when I dropped the shaft. I’m sure they were original, now they can be greased, something else off the list! Replaced the output seal since it’s had a drip while sitting and painted where I couldn’t get to with the shaft installed.

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever since I cut the wheel openings and added the the aluminum angle I’ve felt they needed more finish work. Working on the back of this thing lately the fear of empaling myself on one of those corners has constantly been in the back of my mind. Finally decided to just do something, they can be replaced if I don’t like them! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moving forward! ... I think? I wanted to get the front end up more without buying a new jack so I threw the lift springs in. Decided I might as well go for a test fit. She’s sitting on her own weight. Measurements show about a 1- 1.5” rake up in the rear which I’m happy with since it isn’t loaded. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress is being made. Front upper shackle hanger housings are fitted in the frame. A good portion of the front axle is done and new cover installed. Time to move the jack stands in and work on the outsides of the axle. A small victory, freeing up the 36 year old metal brake line fittings from the rubber brake lines for the braided replacements! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

joshuak

Front's starting to look like that rear. Beautiful the pair of them.

Whats the procedure with Frosty Bite and Mapp gas? For stubborn bolts I'm guessing, heat then cool real quick?

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front's starting to look like that rear. Beautiful the pair of them.

Whats the procedure with Frosty Bite and Mapp gas? For stubborn bolts I'm guessing, heat then cool real quick?
Yes, the combo worked really well on the brake lines, still had to work the fitting back and forth some but they came apart without twisting off the end of the line.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Mad Texan I have to ask, is this your first Chevrolet because you sure have a handle on the mechanics involved. Great job and I hope that you can find time to drive your truck.

Keep it Going on.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mad Texan I have to ask, is this your first Chevrolet because you sure have a handle on the mechanics involved. Great job and I hope that you can find time to drive your truck.

Keep it Going on.
This would be my first CUCV, but my first Chevy was a ‘75 K5 Blazer back in 1985. I admit to working on cars for 20 years or so in a variety of ways from a mechanic in an independent shop to being a crew chief for some amateur SCCA race drivers but never had any formal training. I was just one of those kids that would tear things apart to see how they worked. My dad bought me tools in middle school and I still work with many of them today.

I hope that I can drive it again soon! Not sure what I’m going to do with the transmission yet. May drive it a little a see what I think 🤔. But I keep looking at the NV4500 sitting on the floor! Calling me! 😲

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rattle can restoration continues... some rust protection for fresh stuff... some longer studs for the H2's... 🤣. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For whatever reason the passenger hub decided to mess with me! Bearing cocked a half dozen times and refused to go on. Axle spun on the jack stands while trying to get it back off. Same bearing, just cleaned and repacked. I finally went and bought another seal so I could check the bearing on the spindle, it went on fine. Put the seal in and it magically went back together... 🤷🏻‍♂️ Locking hubs installed as well! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little bit more fun to be finally be bolting on parts! The front end is coming together! Bleeding, greasing, and nut and bolt everything 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks