• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M35A2 Tractor Conversion With A Major LDT-465-1C mods

rebelcummins

I fully agree that the multifuel is aneamic at best. A dt466 or a 6bt would my first choices fir a 6x6. On a bobber id use a duramax just to be different.
Lol, h*ll yeah. DT466 is a close variant 478 ci LDT 465 but, parts are pretty high but more abundant than a multi fuel. My only issue is finding a 466 that has under 500,000 miles and hasn't been setting for 5+ years... Lol. 5.9 will work great specially with the deuce gear ratio. I'm bumping the engine up to 200-225 hp, that will give me about 530-580 ft lbs of TQ. But a d-max man that would be sweet, wiring and running computers would be a pain but, h*ll, it would be worth it. So, when you going to start? Lol

welldigger

I'd start a duramax build as soon as I could find a wrecked chevy one ton. Preferably in the mid 2000's. Problem is used take out motors start at 3-5k with no idication of milage and no transmission. I haven't looked yet but I'm sure someone like fleece or banks makes a stand alone computer for the d-max. They are popular in the marine diesel world so someone makes one. Honestly the only thing stopping me is money. I have the resources and can make the time. Just can't make the money fast enough. Heck I spend too much on my current deuce. I'm not even going crazy with it. At least yet.

I'd love to take a ride in a 5.9 repowered truck. Then again I'd probly have to convert mine if I did. I better stay away lmao.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, I think you guys are smoking crack. I have had over 5tons in my deuce and the only reason to slow down was traffic in front of me. No, I didn't set any 0-60 acceleration records, but this is an army truck. The trucks are bound by the high ratio in the axles and can only go "so fast". Truth be told, I had to slow way down while driving around off/on ramps cause I could feel the truck leaning with that load on it. My motor has been dumped on its side when I tipped the truck, I have had an oil plug fall out while driving 60+ mph on the highway, and God knows how much crap for fuel through it. She might need head gaskets, but she runs strong after all those issues. I understand wanting to tinker with the trucks, but I'm gonna keep my crappy failure prone LDS as long as I can.

Let the flaming begin ;)

welldigger

None of us are really bashing the old multifuel. Yes it will get the job done. I actually think its a pretty decent engine. My only real gripe is how weak it is in the horsepower and torque dept. We also never said we were trying to get a higher top speed. Just trying to give it more gonads under the hood.

Not to mention it will be a long time before I could throw 20k into a duramax conversion. Assuming I could even get away that cheap.

dmetalmiki

Well I figured the deuce at 5.00 made the best progress out of the lot of them! No (exessive) reving banging sliding stopping and or .stopping. just (all) coolcalm and collected WELL under control togetherness. THAT'S the <mod (el)> to have.

rebelcummins

Here we go again, listen..... My issues are as followed.....
My multi fuel engine is great for just an empty truck running around but, I like to haul big loads every now and then and power and TQ is one of my issues. Other issues are cost and parts for the engine if I need a part now, no auto part store has one close to me. I get to pay big bucks plus shipping then wait till it comes in if it wasn't for GimpyRob, my truck would still be setting, thanks again Gimpy. I've exhausted all options to make the engine better, with its designing it is what it is.... I've tried changing it, it doesn't do well..
I'm not dogging anyone on anything or the engine I like the engine, but like I said. "I'm not going for speed, just better torque and power with more redly available parts and low cost".
So the just of it is don't dog me for what I want to do, just please help me with the info I need to make this work. Otherwise I'm sorry, please do not comment.

w3azel

If one had injectors and fuel lines custom made what would the next issue you could see. My awesome sloped driveway and small garage takes the engine swap out of the equation. I know it would be easier and cheaper but....have to find a new house first.

rebelcummins

If one had injectors and fuel lines custom made what would the next issue you could see. My awesome sloped driveway and small garage takes the engine swap out of the equation. I know it would be easier and cheaper but....have to find a new house first.
Custom injectors: I haven't found anyone that will mess with them due to them being spicificaly designed for its exact perpose "Multi Fuel". As far as injector lines: can be remade as long as there mill spec design. With out going into spicifics, the lines are made to work with the injectors. " if you or anyone wants power out of a deuce I was told how to achieve it without blowing it up or doing some Frankenstine engineering" this is the only way to do it.

JasonS

Here you go to everyone that wanted to know how to get more hp out of a LDT 465:
advancing the injection pump above tdc. I will tell you it makes a heck of a difference but, your putting your engine at risk. Example:
the engine is putting so much pressure on the injectors and the lines. I just had an injector line explode due to the injector failing from the higher fuel pressure and almost lost the cylinder due to it. Keep it simple, turning the fuel screw up alittle, changing air intake or intercooling it. Trust me, don't advance the pump anymore than it already is. If you want more power then do what I'm doing in the spring. Swapping the engine.. Thanks again, stay tuned to the thread for engine swap up dates.
It takes 3k+ psi to open an injector; how does an engine develop enough combustion pressure to force it open and damage both the injector and line?

rebelcummins

That's correct jeepsinker, combustion pressure didn't play a part in the equation. The injector was getting weak. Then the the injector body spring busted, and it just continued to build pressure until a line blew.

JasonS

That's correct jeepsinker, combustion pressure didn't play a part in the equation. The injector was getting weak. Then the the injector body spring busted, and it just continued to build pressure until a line blew.
OK, it was just a injector failure; nothing to do with timing.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Advanced timing actually reduces the chamber pressure effect as long as you are before TDC. I run 5 degrees more than the LDS calls for and except for the smoke she runs and pulls great. Yes, I put Squirt under a load also, she will run right to the governor on good roads with a GVW of >50,000# (truck trailer and load), you just have to be patient on getting to speed.

eagle4g63

Hey Rebel, I know we talked during the fall rally. I have one quick question that I am confused on.......in an earlier post you wrote that you "advanced the timing to above TDC"......that is very confusing to me, especially when I keep reading post after post about "advancing" the timing......the timing on these motors is already "advanced" to BEFORE TDC......so if you moved it to TDC wouldn't that be "retarding" the timing? I know these motors are different than the other diesel motors I have been reading that have their timing After TDC or advanced right at TDC.....just confused.

IF so and that is where you put the timing, I would think that would jack the EGT's through the roof......

Also not sure if it was in this thread or another I have been reading, the LDT, LDS share the 20* BTDC timing and the LDS-2 had an advanced timing of 22* BTDC. I know it isn't much however every bit does help or I wouldn't think they would have added that in the LDS-2......My old motor was an LD that had a turbo added by the government....they NEVER retarded the timing to LDT settings, they left them at the LD 25* BTDC, I had great low EGT's, never noticed the timing until I pulled the pump and put it on the current motor....I am currently using an LD pump on an LDS motor and timed to 20*....my EGT's are high!?!?!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks