• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M35A2 Tractor Conversion With A Major LDT-465-1C mods

rebelcummins

Hey Rebel, I know we talked during the fall rally. I have one quick question that I am confused on.......in an earlier post you wrote that you "advanced the timing to above TDC"......that is very confusing to me, especially when I keep reading post after post about "advancing" the timing......the timing on these motors is already "advanced" to BEFORE TDC......so if you moved it to TDC wouldn't that be "retarding" the timing? I know these motors are different than the other diesel motors I have been reading that have their timing After TDC or advanced right at TDC.....just confused.

IF so and that is where you put the timing, I would think that would jack the EGT's through the roof......

Also not sure if it was in this thread or another I have been reading, the LDT, LDS share the 20* BTDC timing and the LDS-2 had an advanced timing of 22* BTDC. I know it isn't much however every bit does help or I wouldn't think they would have added that in the LDS-2......My old motor was an LD that had a turbo added by the government....they NEVER retarded the timing to LDT settings, they left them at the LD 25* BTDC, I had great low EGT's, never noticed the timing until I pulled the pump and put it on the current motor....I am currently using an LD pump on an LDS motor and timed to 20*....my EGT's are high!?!?!
about TDC is what i ment. when i got my truck it was at retarding TDC by 12*, im not sure how it was still running, it looked like a coal burning steam engine... any way i put it back to original timming with 6 new injector and the fuel screw maxed out then backed off by 5-flats then aftter the first fall rally i went 30*BTDC and man what a diff but, i had a lot of problems. i just recently took it back to 20* BTDC and i lost all of my power and gained more smoke but, egts stay cool 1000-1100 at top end. but not sure why yours carrys high... oh wait, used oild will cause you to run up to 150* more on egts..

rebelcummins

Advanced timing actually reduces the chamber pressure effect as long as you are before TDC. I run 5 degrees more than the LDS calls for and except for the smoke she runs and pulls great. Yes, I put Squirt under a load also, she will run right to the governor on good roads with a GVW of >50,000# (truck trailer and load), you just have to be patient on getting to speed.
Retarded (-) Advanced(+)​

EXHAUST TEMP​

increases​

decreases​

CYLINDER PRESSURE​

decreases​

increases​

INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESSURE
(BELOW P-TORQUE) WASTEGATED​

increases​

decreases​

BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption)​

increases​

decreases​

NOX (oxides of nitrogen)​

decreases​

increases​

HEAT REJECTION​

increases​

decreases​

HYDROCARBONS (HC)​

increases​

decreases​

BLACK SMOKE: 1000RPM​

increases​

decreases​

BLACK SMOKE: PEAK TORQUE​

decreases​

increases​

BLACK SMOKE: RATED​

increases​

decreases​

WHITE SMOKE: < 1000RPM​

increases​

decreases​

WHITE SMOKE: > 1000RPM​

increases​

decreases​

Im not looking for speed, TQ and power.
For some reason i have some power with no TQ to back it up.aua

Last edited:

JasonS

It played a small part in it. They were new injectors from "Memphis Equipment" not recommended.[/QUOTE]

Still not following how timing caused or contributed to the failure of the injector.

Who is the manufacturer of the injectors?

w3azel

I too would like to hear how advancing the timing caused the injectors and lines to burst. Could you specify which problems came with which adjustments. I remember you saying you also increased the pop off pressure which from what I read retards the fuel timing. Maybe that is what blew the lines and you could go back to advancing the timing with a stock set of injectors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks