• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another mep803a issue

Marc42

Aquired a 803 from a local VFD. 2004, no reset, 99 hours. They claimed "ran when parked". Non runner when I got it. I found 2 stuck injection pumps. Fixed that and the engine runs fine. Oil, fuel and temp gages seem to function fine. I have 115vac at the convenience outlet. None of the ac gages function so I'm not sure the generator is working. Is there a place to get the ac schematics?
Thanks!

Jeepadict

Generator is working if ya got juice at the convenience outlet. Attach a meter to the terminal lugs and close the contact...I'd do that before anything else given the scenario you painted.

There's a substantial library of applicable tech data in the TM section of the forum...everything is there that you could possibly need.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Marc42

I have all the TM's. Found the prints...
I thought the gen might be working with what I found so far. It sat outside unused for 2-3 years with an open exhaust. I was afraid that the valves would either be seized or pitted. She purrs like a kitten. Fired right up this morning with no pre-heat @ 40*f. I suspect that the connections have oxidized. I'll give them a good cleaning. Thanks for the info!

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She's a runner! Voltage at the lugs. Now to get the gauges working.
My experience so far is the AC gauges get messed up mechanically. Load gauge on my 831 didn't budge, ended up opening it up figuring I had nothing to lose... and was very correct, the internals were all rusted up.

Had the same with the voltage gauge on the 802, and I was afraid I was going to need another couple hundred $$$ gauge. Took it apart & discovered... ya know that seal that's probably hanging down in the display glass looking like a dried out decades old rubber band? That was touching the needle, and was enough it wouldn't move. I just cleaned that one up, and reassembled with a tiny bead of RTV silicone. (All you need to do to disassemble is turn the ring at the back that looks like a lockring, because it is one... I just drift it with a small punch)

Marc42

My experience so far is the AC gauges get messed up mechanically. Load gauge on my 831 didn't budge, ended up opening it up figuring I had nothing to lose... and was very correct, the internals were all rusted up.

Had the same with the voltage gauge on the 802, and I was afraid I was going to need another couple hundred $$$ gauge. Took it apart & discovered... ya know that seal that's probably hanging down in the display glass looking like a dried out decades old rubber band? That was touching the needle, and was enough it wouldn't move. I just cleaned that one up, and reassembled with a tiny bead of RTV silicone. (All you need to do to disassemble is turn the ring at the back that looks like a lockring, because it is one... I just drift it with a small punch)
The needle floats ok. I have voltage at the meter posts. Bought a cheap one ($15) off ebay. We will see how it works. Volts, frequency and battery charge are bad so far. I haven't loaded it yet to see if the load meter works. Repairing the throttle cable first.
Good info to check though. Thanks!

Marc42

Marc,
The next time you need to buy parts, please use a "parts wanted" thread, IAW the forum rules. Buying and selling in an open thread ist Verboten.
I never mentioned buying parts nor requested parts.
A few mentioned they had parts... I did mention I bought parts...from another source. Try to keep up.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You didn't, I was the one who gummed up the works. Guy is referring to the step that I jumped, which would have been to recommend you start a parts wanted thread, in the appropriate forum (and as a newer user, you may not know this was the standard practice). I do know better.

You are both invited over for a beer and a brat if you are ever in the area :)

Ray70

Too bad it doesn't say right on the face ( like most others do ) what the full gage swing power required is.
Most MEP gages say if they are say 1A DC Full swing, or .5A AC , or whatever, depending on the application, that makes mixing and matching a no-brainer.
In this case, that particular gage is 1.2mADC , I believe, which unfortunately I do not think is the same as your 803, but you can take a look at the face of your old gage and see if it's marked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks