• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another mep803a issue

Marc42

Even if it is the incorrect gauge... its just a matter of replacing the current transormer... a simple connection and caculation will resolve that. At $50, I'm ok with it.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if it is the incorrect gauge... its just a matter of replacing the current transormer... a simple connection and caculation will resolve that. At $50, I'm ok with it.
The existing current transformer, burden resistors and %Load meter integral to the Overload and Short Circuit protections built into the generator. If you alter the setup you'll either lose those protections and/or cause false Overload and/or Short Circuit faults.

Marc42

The load meter is just an ammeter with a scaled face. Its just a matter of seeing what the meter needs and providing that from the generator without disturbing the safety circuit. I've been doing electrical and electronic repair and builds for around 50 years. Wiring an amp meter in a circuit isn't that difficult.

Marc42

Too bad it doesn't say right on the face ( like most others do ) what the full gage swing power required is.
Most MEP gages say if they are say 1A DC Full swing, or .5A AC , or whatever, depending on the application, that makes mixing and matching a no-brainer.
In this case, that particular gage is 1.2mADC , I believe, which unfortunately I do not think is the same as your 803, but you can take a look at the face of your old gage and see if it's marked.
Specs on this meter states it works on 15, 30 and 60 kw gen sets... I know they all have different set ups for the safeties. No reason it won't work in a 10kw. I just need to see the prints on the others to figure it out, or install it and check the meter as per the manual. See how far it off from an actual ammeter. That will tell me what I need to know too.

Marc42

The existing current transformer, burden resistors and %Load meter integral to the Overload and Short Circuit protections built into the generator. If you alter the setup you'll either lose those protections and/or cause false Overload and/or Short Circuit faults.
I guess I should have said "add" a current transformer for the meter.

jamawieb

The gauge you purchased is for the 004/005. It will work but will give you a inaccurate reading of percent rated current. That gauge is percent power, the one you want is the percent rated current so they are measuring 2 different things.

Marc42

All meters are dc... even if it states ac input. Take an ac meter apart.. it has a bridge rectifier in it. You can print anything on the scale. All that matters is what it takes for full scale deflection. Amps, ma or ua. I will have digital backup indicators too... how accurate are analog meters anyway?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks