• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another outage

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry once again folks. The server got hung during a reboot for drivers. The hosting company just got around to checking on it a few moments ago. I've been on the road all day (on vacation, FL). I've been on the phone and emailing them all day. We're going to migrate servers to a VM solution.

Unfortunately my internet is very very very slow here. But it's good for my family at least.

And a tease for all of you stuck at home this weekend...

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am impressed with VM especially if you use VMware ESX servers with two hosts and have it setup for transparent migration in case of a failure.

Enjoy the vacation. That looks like the view out our room when we are in Myrtle Beach.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am impressed with VM especially if you use VMware ESX servers with two hosts and have it setup for transparent migration in case of a failure.

Enjoy the vacation. That looks like the view out our room when we are in Myrtle Beach.
PCB

Let me be the first to say........WHAT ARE YOU DOING????? You are SUPPOSE to be on VACATION!!!!:cookoo:

BUT........ THANKS for looking out for us![thumbzup]
Can't leave yall hanging all weekend. But my wife is ready to hang me!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's probably what I would recommend if I had a friggin clue what it meant.
Just one question....does "transparent migration" have anything to do with invisible illegal aliens?

Oh...and thanks Drew...for all you do...even when on "vacation"!

Last edited:

3dAngus

Enjoy the vacation and don't worry about this stuff. The contractor should be able to do all that. Just keep the wife and kids happy.

Panama City Beach is like my home away from home. Fantastic place and lots to do. Get outta there and go have some fun.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you need a more stable host let me know. I have offered my assistance before...

We're moving the server to a VM solution. The hardware we're on has been in service for 6+ years. Unfortunately we've only been tossing around this for a while, but it's come to a head now after today. There's a lot of other factors at play with how the site is hosted that we have no control over.

There has been several outages while I've been here over the past two years. I won't deny that.

1. Power outage
2. Site was highjacked
3. CPU fan died (this one was a long outage)
4. Hosting company routing issues
5. Undetermined error (ISP just brought the box back online for me, but I never had a root cause)
6. Last week- UPS failure
7. Server hung on reboot for drivers.

With the exception of the exploit, moving to a VM host would alleviate a lot of our issues. Course there's always a chance of the VM host having issues. But at least we should be able to be back online a lot faster.

Do you offer any VM solutions?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Enjoy the vacation and don't worry about this stuff. ......................................... Fantastic place and lots to do. Get outta there and go have some fun.
NOOOO!... or I mean Yes, but that exact message should be directed to Drew's wife.... (and to him, of course: no matter where you are - start immediate recovery action, NOW!)...... :patracy: :p:smile:

Thanks Patracy, because I had a real productive working day today, with no other interruptions than every 30 minutes clicking on the "NEW POSTS" window and waisting not more than a few seconds only, every time...... :smile:
But (we all) really THANK YOU for not having to wait till Monday to have SS up and running again! :beer:

G.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy I am running a number of customers on amazon aws ec2 servers. Solid and cost effective, ping me via cell or email and I can discuss with you pros/cons.

They have Linux ami's pre built and maybe even the php pre configured.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks