• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another spinon primary filter install

Bill W

just installed this on my 35, total cost was around $45.00 (w/ filter and shipng) bought the filter head ( wix 24770 ) from Fleet filter http://www.fleetfilter.com/Store_ViewProducts.asp?Cat=68
The only mod I had to do was drilling 3 holes in the old ( stock ) filter mount and reform the copper supply line a little by hand to match up ( took all of about 30 seconds ). Don't know if you really need to remove the alt to do this but mine was off already

Attachments

Last edited:

cbvet

Looks great Bill!
I've thought about doing the same thing, but hadn't gotten around to it.
Now, with a truck needing a filter change, I'll go ahead and follow your lead.
Which filter did you choose?
Thanks,
Eric

Bill W

cb
The filter head can use any 1"-14 thread filter, I went with a napa 3405 ( carquest 86405) which is rated at 12gpm and has a 14 micron rating and a drain plug on the bottom

avengeusa

nice setup, I have thought of doing the same, but i have a reusable element in mine, and with my alternator kit the cleaning of the filters is a snap, I may do that in the future, but i am not sure, i can clean mine on the side of the road now for free if i had to, and do not have to have a spare filter in the truck..... It looks great, i think i might have trimmed off the top of the bracket

this will be a great swap for those who want faster filter changes and have the stock alternator/generator.....

Bill W

coolnick
You can use teflon if you wanted being they're only 1/2" fittings but I used permatex #2 sealant on the fuel fittings and rector seal #5 on the plugs ( don't ask me why ).
Avengeusa
I thought about cutting off the top of the old filter mount since it wasn't needed but there was no advantage (or disadvantage) to doing it so I left it

Preacherboy

I am ordering the parts to do this mod right now, from fleetfilter you should be able to get the filter base and 2 filters for just over $50 shipped.

This seems like an excellent upgrade for the truck. I will probably do just like Bill W did and not even bother cutting off the top of the old bracket

cbvet

Finally got around to installing this setup as BillW designed. Really slick!
My only complaint was the drain plug on the bottom of the filter. As it's designed, if you open it with pressure in the system, fuel sprays out SIDEWAYS. It's an odd thread size/pitch.
Was able to run an old 1/8" pipe tap into the fitting & install a drain valve. Works fine.
Thanks again, Bill!

dkeven

Did the mod myself went with the WIX filter listed in previous thread, because I wasnt happy with fit of replacement canister filters. This is easy and works great, used hydraulic sealant on the fittings (loctite product) Filter one had the parts less than $50 and if you order $50 or more free shipping so added an couple of filters for my vehicles

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

Great idea!!! Wish I had found it sooner.:(
Looks like the filter head has been discontinued and is no longer available. I'm looking for a suitable replacement now...

Anyone try anything like this for the secondary filters?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks