• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Sprag Newbie Question

FSBruva

gringeltaube -

So if i was wrong on both counts..... what effect (internally) does shifting into first gear with the tranny have on the transfer case? Does the shift fork that resides on the end of that reverse shift shaft have the capability to pull that shift collar forward?

On the second count - does that mean the "auto return spring" is a puller, rather than a pusher?

Matt

P.S. I guess one way I could figure this out would be to go buy a sprag deuce and pull it apart.... but I don't think the finance officer would approve that requisition request.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Position of spring showed in fig. 4-39 is confusing. Look at the attached drawing and diagram, it will answer your Q.

To better understand the interaction tranny/sprag TC note following:

1) By default the sprag TC is engaged for forward motion (all gears), via an internal spring pressing the fork all the way towards the front against its stop. (shaft all the way OUT).

2) If shift rod length between tranny and TC is correct, TC shift shaft will NOT move back or IN while shifting tranny into any of its forward gears, including neutral positions between each of them!

3) Shifting tranny into reverse does following:
a) moves linkage/shift rod attaching point backwards about 1 ½”,
b) pushes TC reverse shift shaft back (IN), about 7/8” total travel, if teeth of sprag unit and shift collar are aligned; 3/8” if not.
c) compresses spring #12 inside the shift rod assy. absorbing the difference in travel.

Hope this helps!

G.

Edited drawing, showing internal spring and shift fork & shaft in forward position.

Attachments

Rebelpride

Drove the #2 deuce today, and I have a question. When I start off in 1st gear or back-up the deuce likes to hop. Am I doing something wrong(I give it plenty of throttle I think, and it seems to do it when I give it alot or at idle), or aua is my clutch on its way out.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Rebelpride said:
Drove the #2 deuce today, and I have a question. When I start off in 1st gear or back-up the deuce likes to hop. Am I doing something wrong(I give it plenty of throttle I think, and it seems to do it when I give it alot or at idle), or aua is my clutch on its way out.
One of mine does this in reverse, I can't seem to get it adjusted.....

Feels like it is binding.....

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typical for deuces, has to do with their metallic puck clutch disks, combined with a not evenly adjusted pressure plate and the logical consequences concerning uneven flywheel wear.
Suffered more or less the same until I started replacing those 5-pad clutches with common (solid) fiber lined disks …, much better for driver and truck....:wink:

Start with checking/adjusting that pressure plate before pulling everything apart. If it doesn't help at all you probably need to have your flywheel resurfaced.

G.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMJ if it feels like binding then crawl under and make sure the drive line brake is releasing completely and all of the springs are in place.

appnut1

I can add my two cents, sprags can be tricky. I had one that did not work so I posted some questions here -got alot of feedback telling me to adjust it, got under the truck and spent a couple hours adjusting this way and that way by the TMJ and got it working. Folks who bought the truck drove it two or three hours down the road and then claimed I sold them a broke truck because it did not work, niot sure what happened but the next truck will be an air shift for sure.

Jake0147

FMJ said:
Rebelpride said:
One of mine does this in reverse, I can't seem to get it adjusted.....

Feels like it is binding.....
If it's a "rolling" hop, you could prolly suspect the sprag. If it's a "clutch chatter during the process of engagement" kind of hop, and it only happens in forward or only happens in reverse, the first culprit I'd suspect is a motor mount. Clutch and flywheel always spin the same direction.

Rebelpride

And it only does it from a dead stop, going thru the gears is smooth.
So what TM number would I need to find to check and adjust pressure plates and sprags.

BEASTMASTER

i don't know about that, when i go out plowing and push back intersections i always go from reverse to second and second to reverse, been plowing now for 5 years and ain't had no trouble with the sprag .as long as you here the sneeze when you hit neutral is when the sprag changes . :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks