• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another way to Bob a Deuce!

ProviderDriver

Hello all....First time posting...

I am drooling over a Deuce...I have been flying and restoring antique airplanes for 20 years, time to do a Deuce.

I am probably going to do it the way everyone has to this point, but at some time in the future I want to really load one up...

I would like to throw these ideas out there, see if anyone has done/thought about/ etc....

Disk brakes
Air conditioning (sorry! I hate the heat!)
Air suspension? maybe??
Air spring seats
Power steering

Here's the big one...

4 wheel steering?

What do y'all think?:jumpin:

Last edited:

ICAT

100dollarman

Any long term report on attaching the trailer frame to the truck frame. I'm a auto teacher and if things good as planned, I'm looking at bobbing a deuce in my class next year. I have the welding class and construction class on board. I've wanted a bobbed deuce sense I first saw one so I'm saving up for it.

100dollarman

Hello all....First time posting...

I am drooling over a Deuce...I have been flying and restoring antique airplanes for 20 years, time to do a Deuce.

I am probably going to do it the way everyone has to this point, but at some time in the future I want to really load one up...

I would like to throw these ideas out there, see if anyone has done/thought about/ etc....

Disk brakes
Air conditioning (sorry! I hate the heat!)
Air suspension? maybe??
Air spring seats
Power steering

Here's the big one...

4 wheel steering?

What do y'all think?:jumpin:
Sounds like a great plan!

100dollarman

100dollarman

Any long term report on attaching the trailer frame to the truck frame. I'm a auto teacher and if things good as planned, I'm looking at bobbing a deuce in my class next year. I have the welding class and construction class on board. I've wanted a bobbed deuce sense I first saw one so I'm saving up for it.

We really have only been doing it for a couple of years, but so far, so good! I have heard of "0" problems.
It has been a debate for some, but I did alot of research......and my conclusion is that it works well. If I thought it was any less safe than a stock truck I wouldnt do it.
I also have customers who prefer using the front deuce springs, so we do it that way also if specified. The trailer set-up looks better to me. We have built the last 10 or so with the trailer parts.
We also have added more bracing and welding to make it 'better'.

Let me know if I can give any advice or help when you do your project--

F350boy

Are there any kind of turbo mods that can be done?

I was wondering if anyone has heard or seen if there are any mods that can be done to the turbo on a 1970 multi-fuel. I was thinking about trying to do a intercooler. I've heard about baffling inside the turbo housing that can be removed but havent seen anything on it hoping to get some good idea.
Thank you all for your time,
Blain

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100dollarman
I'm a auto teacher and if things good as planned, I'm looking at bobbing a deuce in my class next year. I have the welding class and construction class on board.
Being a teacher then it would make sence to me that you make you class do there homework. Check and bring in all the state and Fed. DOT laws that pertain to this . Take pics of the trucks here and invite a DOT officer to your class and see what he think of this kind of build.
I would not do it this way but hay to each his own and just rember you have to convince the jury that it is done better than factory.

Last edited:

ICAT

nothing is written in stone. there have been so many different "ways to bobbed a deuce" just looking for some insight. this project, i plan, will take several months not weeks to complete.

ballencd

I am building small dump truck from my Deuce...a 1983 drop side with 11K on it. I removed the spring set from the truck, cut 32 inches from the back of the frame and installed a single spring set from a box truck rated at 22K pounds and re-installed one axle. I had to add 3" spacer blocks to get the height back where it was. I extended the drive about 11 inches and am working on the PTO and hydraulics for the dump system now. The bed has also been shortened about 36" and is waiting for the scissor kit for dumping. I will add power steering and exhaust brake to it when I put it on the road. It is planned to use on my property for awhile first moving dirt. Later to pull a tractor and haul gravel for my drive....planned on 3-4 tons at most. Not sure how to add pictures or I would. Charlie

mudhole

I'm wondering if there is a demand for these here in the southeast? Do any of you know who does this in my area?

Hundy I love the work by the way.

asgtoolman

John Winslow in Halifax NC did mine and has done many. He was great to work with and usually has a very good supply of 2-1/2 ton and 5 ton trucks and trailers and acres of donors for parts.
His phone # is 252-883-2509 or just google John Winslow Sales and look at his website

badga the badger

To use the trailer springs and mounts, is it necessary to weld the trailer frame section under there for heighth? I'm not much of a welder and have been looking for a set of front M35 suspension in the central Texas area. Anyone have a set?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks