• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another way to Bob a Deuce!

White666

welding on a truck frame is a no no.
If it was a good idea why didn't the manufacturer do it? it would have been easier than rivets.
I would not trust the structural integrity of the trailer frame under a 10k truck.
This is just info to an very old reply on this post...not trying to call anyone out and i am sure it has been covered many times. This is also just from MY experiance. Take it however you feel like.

The only reason frames were not/are not welded is for the speed of build(rivets take less time then a good weld), and that the companys that built these things would have had to hire trained welders...any monkey with a days training can install a rivet.

It is true that a welded frame will not flex as well as a riveted frame, but the majority of your flex will be at the cross-members with only a small portion in the actual frame rails. There should be no problem with the spring mounts.

I was a chassis fabricator before the military, I have many sub 9 sec drag cars and to many 4x4's to remember running around washington state with my welded frames that have never has an issue.

Last edited:

White666

Hey, im still reading through all the posts here, but found this video and was wondering...is this the same truck?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rYM8N8Y8yU[/media]

100dollarman

I cant remember if thats the same truck or not--- we have built several that look like that--

I had not seen that vid before! Editor of JP Magazine Pete Trasborg stopped by one day and I took him for a little spin in the bobber---:driver:

100dollarman

The holidays are cutting into our progress a little bit, but we are moving along! Got the trailer frame and springs mounted, got the hubs flipped, welded up the rear of the frame. Dropping off the driveline today to get it lengthened. Getting custom 3/4" u-bolts made today to mount the axle.

Have a bed picked out for shortening-- hope to get that done this week.

Hoolio

I've wondered..... How do we go about insuring that "Bobbed" Deuce..Is it considered a deuce or a pick-up truck ?? I know I
had problems insuring a F-600 without going with a commercial policy..I know there's a fine line trying to escape big
premiums..Plus , many insurers won't do commercial policies..Thanks, Roy

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been thinking about it--- been too busy!!!
I guess it ain't easy being the toy King. Did you sell that Sami yet? I told my buddy (the one with crap Sami at DIRTBAG) about it, but he's out of town for awhile.